Dodge Challenger Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Background story:I am in a pickle. Someone hit me. Repairs made. New painted/cleared area don't match- they are darker. Repair shop (and their paint reps) say it has to do with the fact that Factory paint does not have full coverage. The areas they painted came out darker because they have more coverage. I don't fully agree, since they did a spot paint touch up (not the entire panel) and the whole panel is darker because they clear coated the entire panel. I do agree that the factory job was subpar and is light in areas. That is why I had them respray a spot that was obvious to me, which I was paying out of pocket.

My issue is still fluid with them, as they are formulating resolution(s) and I am waiting to hear back from them. 2 options mentioned are a full repaint or leave it as it is. Fully repainting even the areas previously done (1 door, rear QP, and front DS Fender). The repair shop of course is saying they didn't do anything to the rest of the car, so they aren't going to paint entire car free. No money numbers have been exchanged. They have the car, I have the cash from the estimate paid to me by the other person's insurance for the repair, with the insurance bill "open" to account for additional repairs deemed necessary (such as re-installation of my stripes after paint cures, or hidden damage).
I reached out to Dodge via chat, they indicated that I would have to have the issue inspected by a Dodge dealer. The Dealer could agree and fix - possibly, or I would have to come back to Dodge and have the issue escalated. And yes, I mentioned that I am out of Bumper to Bumper warranty. They indicated it still may be possible.
I highly doubt Dodge or a Dealership is going to pony up for a full body paint job. This might not get resolved for a while, and legal action may be required(?). I never wanted to pursue this issue under warranty because of the headaches involved. And that they might only fix one panel and it never matching the rest of the car, figured the fix wasn't worth potential problems. Well, it's all caught up with me now.

Base question: Has anyone had any kind of similar issue? Body repair totally not matching or entire Factory paint being light - and then fixed by Dodge?

·
How fa$$$t do want to go?
9,404 Posts
I had both lower rear quarter panels replaced (common rust areas 2008 thru 2014) 2 1/2 years ago (on my dime). Excellent paint match for Brilliant Black Crystal Pearl Coat. Still looks like the day I picked it up (extremely satisfied). Good luck in your quest! ;)

·
Registered
709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I had both lower rear quarter panels replaced (common rust areas 2008 thru 2014) 2 1/2 years ago (on my dime). Excellent paint match for Brilliant Black Crystal Pearl Coat. Still looks like the day I picked it up (extremely satisfied). Good luck in your quest! ;)
And that is what I expected!

Reactions: BAD GRANDPA

·
How fa$$$t do want to go?
9,404 Posts
Just an FYI.....My work was done by Fox Valley Ford (body shop). They do ALL of the exterior repair and paint work for River Front Chrysler Jeep and Dodge (for at least the last 12 years). Says something about their workmanship and satisfied customers (which I am one).

·
Waiting for beautiful fall colors!
2020 Go Mango Scat Pack
29,784 Posts
Background story:I am in a pickle. Someone hit me. Repairs made. New painted/cleared area don't match- they are darker. Repair shop (and their paint reps) say it has to do with the fact that Factory paint does not have full coverage. The areas they painted came out darker because they have more coverage. I don't fully agree, since they did a spot paint touch up (not the entire panel) and the whole panel is darker because they clear coated the entire panel. I do agree that the factory job was subpar and is light in areas. That is why I had them respray a spot that was obvious to me, which I was paying out of pocket.

My issue is still fluid with them, as they are formulating resolution(s) and I am waiting to hear back from them. 2 options mentioned are a full repaint or leave it as it is. Fully repainting even the areas previously done (1 door, rear QP, and front DS Fender). The repair shop of course is saying they didn't do anything to the rest of the car, so they aren't going to paint entire car free. No money numbers have been exchanged. They have the car, I have the cash from the estimate paid to me by the other person's insurance for the repair, with the insurance bill "open" to account for additional repairs deemed necessary (such as re-installation of my stripes after paint cures, or hidden damage).
I reached out to Dodge via chat, they indicated that I would have to have the issue inspected by a Dodge dealer. The Dealer could agree and fix - possibly, or I would have to come back to Dodge and have the issue escalated. And yes, I mentioned that I am out of Bumper to Bumper warranty. They indicated it still may be possible.
I highly doubt Dodge or a Dealership is going to pony up for a full body paint job. This might not get resolved for a while, and legal action may be required(?). I never wanted to pursue this issue under warranty because of the headaches involved. And that they might only fix one panel and it never matching the rest of the car, figured the fix wasn't worth potential problems. Well, it's all caught up with me now.

Base question: Has anyone had any kind of similar issue? Body repair totally not matching or entire Factory paint being light - and then fixed by Dodge?
I had a jazz blue R/T, 2013, and I thought the paint was beautiful, but there were some flaws on the car. When I traded for my 2016 Scat, the paint job was much improved. I don't know this for sure, but I heard that they were doing something new in their painting a few years back. Maybe someone else could contribute to that.

·
Registered
5,333 Posts
If the repair shop know what they are doing ,there should be no visible trace of the repair whatsoever. I have painted cars for more than 12 years and color matching is an art. The factory formula can have up to 7 declination from a lighter to a darker shade. They need to pick the right one from the start and do test panel before painting the part. I would go back and asked them to redo the job since you are not happy with the results. Not sure about how the law works on your side of the border but here in Quebec, the customer have the right to be entirely satisfied with the repair. If not the shop have to make it right for the customer.

Dodge have made some improvement on their paint recently, they now have a new paint shop at the Brampton plant .

·
Registered
2016 Challenger SXT Plus
4,338 Posts
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^yep, what he said, my B5 has 9 variations, of blue

·
Registered
709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well, this is still getting resolved. The shop agreed to paint the entire car, since they couldnt match it. I do know the paint job was subpar from the factory, as I was paying to fix a spot. Not thrilled about a full paint job, but they are buffing it now, I am told. I will find out Saturday how this ends up. Hopefully happily.

·
Registered
709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
No on the wrap. The issue should be addressed by either the repair shop or factory, IMO.

·
Registered
709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Long story - short. Car was repainted. Shop couldn't buff without leaving holograms all over it. I lost ALL confidence in shop after 3 attempts to correct. Will never deal with them again.

I took it to Chicago Car pros for paint correction and ceramic. They did a super job of getting it back on track.

Only took about 10 months to drop the repair shop out of the loop. Once that was done, it took just a few days for paint correction, stripes and ceramic.

·
Business
21,789 Posts
Long story - short. Car was repainted. Shop couldn't buff without leaving holograms all over it. I lost ALL confidence in shop after 3 attempts to correct. Will never deal with them again.

I took it to Chicago Car pros for paint correction and ceramic. They did a super job of getting it back on track.

Only took about 10 months to drop the repair shop out of the loop. Once that was done, it took just a few days for paint correction, stripes and ceramic.
Just seen and read your thread. The whole time I was thinking. Omg he has a bad body shop. Really glad everything worked out in the end. Damn shame there are shop out there like that.

·
Registered
709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yeah. I had work done by them previously, and it was great. This time was a complete 180.

As far as worked out in the end...mostly. Now I can see all the imperfections in the paint job.
It's at a point where I can (/have to?) live with it and move forward. It is a daily driver, not a garage queen/show car, so I can allow for some blemishes.

But like I mentioned, the guys did a good job with the paint correction. I have already gotten compliments in parking lots! So that make me feel better! :D

·
Registered
104 Posts
When I worked at Benson Chevrolet in 1994-1995 in Metairie, La. Our team spent extra time in pre-paint prep work on the vehicles and in the paint booths. We did most of the color matching out side the paint booth in the sun light not under the fluorescent lights in the paint booth. The reason we did it in the sun is because the metallic in the paints and color pigments in the paints and some pearls we can custom color match a lot more accurately outside. Then we always laid three coats of clear for better coverage and better quality polish. The products we used was Spies Hecker paints. We didn’t use a color match camera like they do today. Our color matching was labor intensive but our customers were happy. I don’t recall many come backs because of paint work. Most of our come backs was because of body men not doing quality work. We covered everything from GM products to BMW’s, and Lexus. We covered all Benson Dealerships in the New Orleans area.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts