Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,091 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just notice that the SXT's come with 3.07 gears, however my sticker doesn't state any size. I was reading that all the newer ones come with this rear. The older ones use to have 2.65 gears. Anyway to tell for sure?

Thanks

·
Registered
3,606 Posts
On my window sticker for my '10 R/T Classic it states in the Standard Equipment section 3.06 Axle Ratio. Maybe wind stickers differ? Lou.

·
Registered
22,648 Posts
Generally there is a tag on the differential, on the getrag rear it's on the driver's side top of the differential, not sure where you will find it on the SXT. Then there is the old hot rod technique of jacking up the rear and turning a tire (while in neutral with the car blocked). If a LSD you turn the tire once and count the turns on the drive shaft. If you have an open rear (that would be the SXT) you turn the wheel two complete turns and count the turns of the drive shaft.

However all that said I'd call or email Dodge assistance, give them your VIN and they should be able to tell you what you have.

·
Registered
8,503 Posts
Generally speaking in reference to the 2008-2014 Dodge Challengers rear diffs; Auto's only come with 3.06 regardless of your wheel choice, and no limited slip in the auto transmission. The 6 speeds get 3.73's with 18" and 3.92's with 20" wheels.

·
"Z" member since 2009
3,907 Posts
The standard differential on an SXT is 2.65. You can find this information on the Dodge website. Follow this pathway: 2014 Challenger > Features tab (top area of page) > Specs tab (on left) > Within the Detailed Chart select "Engine & Mechanical" > Mechanical. The axle ratios are listed there.

Also, the 2014 Challenger sales brochure states that the 3.07 (also listed as a 3.06 on the Dodge website) differential is included in the Super Sport Group (SS/T).

When the 3.6 V6 was introduced in 2011, the standard ratio was 2.65 with the option to upgrade to a 3.06 either as a separate option or within the SS/T package.

·
Registered
2,091 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The standard differential on an SXT is 2.65. You can find this information on the Dodge website. Follow this pathway: 2014 Challenger > Features tab (top area of page) > Specs tab (on left) > Within the Detailed Chart select "Engine & Mechanical" > Mechanical. The axle ratios are listed there.

Also, the 2014 Challenger sales brochure states that the 3.07 (also listed as a 3.06 on the Dodge website) differential is included in the Super Sport Group (SS/T).

When the 3.6 V6 was introduced in 2011, the standard ratio was 2.65 with the option to upgrade to a 3.06 either as a separate option or within the SS/T package.
Thanks, I found out from the site that the 26B package which is for the 100th. anniversary edition includes the 3.07 rear .
Test drove several SXT's and this one just seemed quicker, now I know why.

Thanks again for the help

·
455 RWHP / 452 Torque
3,732 Posts
Generally speaking in reference to the 2008-2014 Dodge Challengers rear diffs; Auto's only come with 3.06 regardless of your wheel choice, and no limited slip in the auto transmission. The 6 speeds get 3.73's with 18" and 3.92's with 20" wheels.
Think the auto trans was the only way to get the getrag limited slip rear, Bob....

·
Registered
474 Posts
I have a 2013 challenger RT Classic that came with Limited Slip Differential, and its a auto trans.

·
Registered
8,503 Posts
I have a 2013 challenger RT Classic that came with Limited Slip Differential, and its a auto trans.
Yes and what a blast it must be to drive! :smileup: I did the "generally speaking" reference because of the different configurations and options available that I didn't discuss or cover.

·
455 RWHP / 452 Torque
3,732 Posts
Jim, I have the Getrag LSD in my stick car and I believe the same Getrag LSD is available in the autos as well.
Yeah, I think I've seen others with a stick that have had it. I remembered from when I ordered mine, on the Dodge site the only way to pick the getrag was if you'd also picked the auto trans as an option. And if I remember right, they also had "auto only" in parentheses. So, I think it's safe to say, you can get it with either trans, though it may differ by year. :4-dontknow:

·
"Z" member since 2009
3,907 Posts

Copy that on the generally speaking statement qualifier. Additionally, I'm pretty certain that no 2009-10 Challenger R/T had the auto trans and LSD combination. I think that by the 2012 model year at the latest that combination was made available.

·
Registered
8,503 Posts
Copy that on the generally speaking statement qualifier. Additionally, I'm pretty certain that no 2009-10 Challenger R/T had the auto trans and LSD combination. I think that by the 2012 model year at the latest that combination was made available.
Tim, I am pretty sure that the 2008-2010 models with auto weren't LSD for all models but after that I get fuzzy on the facts. I was trying to research the information so I could be specific, but my research skills seam to have fallen off these last couple of days, LOL! The kicker is I couldn't answer the original question about "how do I?", LOL! I use to have so many of those formulas memorized but they appear to be in the archives of my mind that I can't extract. I think the warm weather may be effecting my thoughts? :4-dontknow:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts