Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8,568 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have always had AC in my cars, being from the North East and all and each car has their own... relationship between engine and compressor. My Jeep Grand Cherokee would slam it's compressor on, like it was fighting with the car, compromising rate of speed or breaking in the process. My little Saturn had a pretty powerful AC system yet it would click on rather than clunk on, and although it effected power.... alot, it didn't effect it right when you accessed the air conditioning. It was just less overall power. My dad had an Infinity something or other (real nice 4 door that looks like a 2 door) and you didn't even know when the AC was on or off, it was so smooth.

But never in my life have I heard a AC compressor that made an engine sound meaner, like in the Challenger. It's like the compressor and the hemi are good friends and work well together. When I pop on the AC, there is a little bit of a power loss, but then I hit the gas and the car sounds like it wants to kill whoever is in front of us. The roar has more metallic treble and more raspy bass to it. It sounds like your at 5500 rpms when your only at 2500!

Is it just me, or does anyone else actually enjoy putting the AC on?
(My 3 year old demands windows up so I got no real choice, but lately, with the AC noise... Ive been kicking it on while I am alone with the windows down too!):str:

·
Premium Member
17,675 Posts
I just got back from a short trip...had to hop on the highway for a couple of exits. It was cool when I left, but had to turn on the AC on the way back. I can honestly say, I don't hear anything except the sound of my exhaust, but I guess I'm not really listening......so I'm heading back out in a bit and I'll report back. I'm interested to find out if I hear any difference with the AC on.

·
Registered
8,568 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The sound difference is mostly from the engine itself, but my exhaust also sounds a little meaner.

·
Registered
600 Posts
Only difference I notice when the A/C is ON is cool air, never noticed ANY change in engine sounds or power output.

·
Waiting for beautiful fall colors!
2020 Go Mango Scat Pack
28,445 Posts
I had a long drive on Saturday, (400 miles), ran the A/C and I never notice any difference whether it is on or off. I will pay more attention and quit "rocking out" so much! I did appreciate the gas mileage. Got 28 mpg! The premium blend must have changed for summer, so it is all good!!

·
<<< Bending Time & Space >>>
16,093 Posts
Yep, my exhaust note is a little deeper with the ac on.

·
Premium Member
17,675 Posts
I went out a couple of more times....I still couldn't hear a difference.:4-dontknow:

·
Registered
380 Posts
I think maybe it puts a load on the engine, plus no hemi tick noise with the A/C on.

I really don't notice a difference but I think age is catching up to my hearing.

I know whenever I wash a car it runs and rides better. lol

·
Registered
389 Posts
I know whenever I wash a car it runs and rides better. lol
TOTALLY TRUE! Mine always runs better and faster when it has a fresh coat of wax. I liken it to the same effect swimmers and cyclists get when they shave their body hair! :leghump:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts