Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bolt on upgrades being defined as all done outside of the engine and keeping the engine itself as a unit 100% stock. I bought my 2015 Challenger R/T 5.7L A8 in November of 2017 and started down the bolt on mod road about 2 months later, because the car just seemed a little lacking in performance, it had the looks, but was just a little below what I had expected from an engine in the plus or minus 350cuin size range. Performance wise when I first bought the car I ran some 0 ~ 60s using the cars built in timer I remember my very first was around 6 seconds and after many runs getting used to to the cars handling I finally on the best of situations got a 5.7 second time at 100% stock.

My very first bolt on mod was also my very first mistake, meaning bolting on something that actually hurt my overall performance not helping it, which I have had a few of those that resulted in a loss of money and buying what actually worked, and that is what this post is about, what actually has worked and increased engine to ground power resulting in better 0 ~ 60 times. So the absolutely best beginning 0 ~ 60 times have gone from the 5.7 second time to 4.4 seconds.

So here is a list of what is on my 5.7 R/T that has definitely increased performance, resulting in better 0 ~ 60 time, and this was not the best day to even run it, and it ran 2 consecutive 4.4 passes.

AFE Momentum GT CAI with Headlight Air Porting
Unlocked PCM with Hemifever engine and transmission tune, and 180 degree Thermostat Radiator fan control written in the tune.
TheFastman 82mm Ported Throttle Body.
BBK Shorty Headers, Ceramic coated and Thermal wrapped with Titanium wrap.
Magnaflow High Flow Catalytic Converters.
Magnaflow Competition Cat Back Exhaust system.
3.09 Limited Slip Differential.
SPC camber correction bushings which removed 1.5 degrees of the rear negative camber.

So I am at a Threshold, do I have more options? Yes!
But do I plan to spend more money investing in the car, IDK?
I can always go with a higher performance Cam or some type of Forced Air, or both?
But I have to decide for myself if I am going to long term keep the car or privately sell it?
I am not a drag strip racer, maybe a street racer, if there was a safe place to even do that, so I don't need drag strip capability.
I just want the car to be, IMO, what it should have rolled out of the factory door capable of doing now.
It is a true pleasure to drive now, I kid you not!
I have to literally make myself drive it with restraint!
It is so invigorating and a pure Adrenalin rush putting your foot in it! :) Ry

·
Registered
169 Posts
You know what the choice is. Leave it as is, possibly sell it and get something else. Or go ghetto (I typed “deep” but it autocorrected to ghetto... decided to leave it). Once you get into the engine with cam, heads, SC, etc your selling options are reduced. Which is fine if you plan on keeping it.

what do you really want long term? Maybe a second car will fit the bill. You’ve been following my build, and for me my car is a keeper. Never going to get rid of it. Yah I could have traded up, but it’s paid for and I’m putting my kids through school. I will probably drive it 150 k miles and consider a rebuild if needed... stroker,SC, both?!

Maybe for you it makes sense to trade up into a hellcat, Skip the scat range. or get an entirely different type of car In addition to. That’s what I’m doing. After working on my Challenger, I found that I really enjoy working on cars. so currently I am restoring a 1976 Porsche 911. Maybe a project car would work for you too??

·
Registered
2013 PlumCrazy R/T
1,598 Posts
You do a great job with youre rite ups. Really enjoy reading them. I did all the same just have to do some high flow cats and am going to do the rearend bushings also. My isnt a daily driver so I am almost finished installing NOS. 100 or 125 shot for when needed.

·
Mopartial to Challengers
2015 SRT Hellcat
10,100 Posts
Hey Ry,

We've discussed bolt-on mods on multiple occasions and while I'm not quite at the level you are, I'm inspired by your write-ups and I certainly get a lot of ideas from you and other R/T owners for what next level steps I can or should consider. Last summer I spent $5500 upgrading my exhaust, CAI, wheels/tires, and custom tune. I stopped for a breather (those mods came over a 90 day stretch) to assess what's next, and have been at that stop point ever since.

The next logical step for me will likely be a Fastman 82mm ported TB and possibly installing silver electrode spark plugs. Each mod will run $300-$400 but the ROI remains a little sketchy as I'm still unclear how much performance gains will be realized. These 2 mods are better suited for a forced induction setup, but it should still add some noticeable kick to my naturally aspirated 5.7L Hemi.

After that, I plan to concentrate on some long overdue maintenance for my 2013 R/T including a major service, fuel injector cleaning, radiator and cooling system flush, transmission flush, and a compression check and adjustment if needed.

·
Registered
13,032 Posts
We got 4.9 out of my Dad's 2017 R/T A8 bone stock. I also got 4.9 out of my previous lease 2019 R/T A8 also bone stock. I think your 5.7 to begin with might have had some tire spin or at least some room for improvement.

Dropping from say 4.9-5.0 to 4.4 is pretty impressive though. Have you ever run the car at the track? I'd be interested to see if you hit 12's or not.

My Dad and I plan to race more together this year and he's hoping he can hit 12's on the stock tune. He ran 13.1 last year bone stock, so I think it's possible with a little weight reduction and good air. The 8 speed transmission is the key, these cars all picked up a lot over the older 5 speeds (5.7L and 6.4L).

Did your car come with 2.62 gears stock or something? I see you listed 3.09 LSD as an upgrade.

Reactions: Johnnyreb and RyzRT

·
Premium Member
3,267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
We got 4.9 out of my Dad's 2017 R/T A8 bone stock. I also got 4.9 out of my previous lease 2019 R/T A8 also bone stock. I think your 5.7 to begin with might have had some tire spin or at least some room for improvement.

Dropping from say 4.9-5.0 to 4.4 is pretty impressive though. Have you ever run the car at the track? I'd be interested to see if you hit 12's or not.

My Dad and I plan to race more together this year and he's hoping he can hit 12's on the stock tune. He ran 13.1 last year bone stock, so I think it's possible with a little weight reduction and good air. The 8 speed transmission is the key, these cars all picked up a lot over the older 5 speeds (5.7L and 6.4L).

Did your car come with 2.62 gears stock or something? I see you listed 3.09 LSD as an upgrade.
In the beginning I probably would have gotten better time if I had know my intake manifold bolts were loose at about an estimated 20inlbs, since tightening them to their specs 108inlbs, the car is much stronger. The original open differential was a 3.07 gearing.

·
Registered
743 Posts
That sounds pretty impressive for a 5.7. That's about what some scats run stock. I'm wondering how much you have in it with those mods though?

·
Premium Member
3,267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
That sounds pretty impressive for a 5.7. That's about what some scats run stock. I'm wondering how much you have in it with those mods though?
Just the listed mods in the opening post are about $6,500, there's more in it than that though, that's just the performance mods.

There's also mods for looks to personalize the car.

Reactions: Johnnyreb

·
Registered
112 Posts
I’d sure be curious to see a dyno graph on your car. Just wondering where all of the bolt-on’s you’ve done would put you.

Ya have any plans to dyno it?

·
Premium Member
3,267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I’d sure be curious to see a dyno graph on your car. Just wondering where all of the bolt-on’s you’ve done would put you.

Ya have any plans to dyno it?
I'm not curious enough to pay to dyno it as there is no local shop, if it actually originally had 375 horsepower I'd say from the seat of the pants it may be 400 now, but I really don't know.

·
Premium Member
3,267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hey Ry,

We've discussed bolt-on mods on multiple occasions and while I'm not quite at the level you are, I'm inspired by your write-ups and I certainly get a lot of ideas from you and other R/T owners for what next level steps I can or should consider. Last summer I spent $5500 upgrading my exhaust, CAI, wheels/tires, and custom tune. I stopped for a breather (those mods came over a 90 day stretch) to assess what's next, and have been at that stop point ever since.

The next logical step for me will likely be a Fastman 82mm ported TB and possibly installing silver electrode spark plugs. Each mod will run $300-$400 but the ROI remains a little sketchy as I'm still unclear how much performance gains will be realized. These 2 mods are better suited for a forced induction setup, but it should still add some noticeable kick to my naturally aspirated 5.7L Hemi.

After that, I plan to concentrate on some long overdue maintenance for my 2013 R/T including a major service, fuel injector cleaning, radiator and cooling system flush, transmission flush, and a compression check and adjustment if needed.
Maintenance wise I've had a set of spark plugs on the shelf now for 4 months, it seems installing them has taken a back seat to the other mods, and that's probably a performance gain right there. I have over 56,000 miles on mine what is on yours, if you don't mind me asking? If I remember you live in San Diego and drive yours all through the year as I do, is that correct?

·
Premium Member
3,267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
You do a great job with youre rite ups. Really enjoy reading them. I did all the same just have to do some high flow cats and am going to do the rearend bushings also. My isnt a daily driver so I am almost finished installing NOS. 100 or 125 shot for when needed.
I really appreciate you saying that! Thanks! (y) Ry

·
Mopartial to Challengers
2015 SRT Hellcat
10,100 Posts
Maintenance wise I've had a set of spark plugs on the shelf now for 4 months, it seems installing them has taken a back seat to the other mods, and that's probably a performance gain right there. I have over 56,000 miles on mine what is on yours, if you don't mind me asking? If I remember you live in San Diego and drive yours all through the year as I do, is that correct?
Just over 31000 miles and while I run my Challenger year-round, it's only on weekends when I can open her up and enjoy the Hemi. For the rest of the week, I drive my 18 year-old Subaru Outback to deal with weekday traffic and parking lot dingers.

·
Premium Member
3,267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Just over 31000 miles and while I run my Challenger year-round, it's only on weekends when I can open her up and enjoy the Hemi. For the rest of the week, I drive my 18 year-old Subaru Outback to deal with weekday traffic and parking lot dingers.
You must have bought your 2013 Challenger brand new to have that low of mileage on it, mine had 30,561 miles on it when I bought my 2015. I've put around 26,000 miles on mine since I bought it and it runs better now than when I bought it. I don't drive mine everyday most weeks maybe 2 or 3 times we also have a Chevy Silverado truck that's hardly ever driven except to haul materials for projects and trash. My wife loves to just ride in the Challenger on the weekends, so it does get mileage from that. In South Carolina in most cases weather is a determining factor, because we live off of a dirt road and when it seriously rains, I won't drive the car even if I need to, just to keep the mud off of it. I absolutely love the Pitch Black color, when it is clean it is Absolutely Gorgeous, but as you know full well Black is so hard to keep clean! Ry

·
Premium Member
3,267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Oh Wow!
You have the Black and Red interior, I have the Black and Crimson interior, that dual color interior was one of the reasons I bought mine.

The seat insert material is suede.

·
Mopartial to Challengers
2015 SRT Hellcat
10,100 Posts
Oh Wow!
You have the Black and Red interior, I have the Black and Crimson interior, that dual color interior was one of the reasons I bought mine.

No WAY!

You have brushed aluminum door inserts with red CHALLENGER block lettering. I ordered brushed aluminum insert blanks and applied red script Challenger emblems for nearly the same effect!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts