Dodge Challenger Forum banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
It feels nice after my upgrade obsession just to be able to go out and drive the car without having to get something done to it first, besides cleaning it that is, as Pitch Black is a dirt and dust magnet!

I hope all of you are safe and well! Ry

Reactions: boyohboy

·
Registered
3,701 Posts
As I like to say,"Enjoy the Journey!".

·
Premium Member
12,625 Posts
3:73’s will get you 3,000 RPM at 73 mph on the interstate, I have driven to Carlisle with it and Columbus twice for the NAT’s. It is OK but you are for sure in the power band all the time. I get about 17 mpg with the lose converter and the 3:73’s with the A-5.

Reactions: boyohboy

·
Premium Member
3,265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
3:73’s will get you 3,000 RPM at 73 mph on the interstate, I have driven to Carlisle with it and Columbus twice for the NAT’s. It is OK but you are for sure in the power band all the time. I get about 17 mpg with the lose converter and the 3:73’s with the A-5.
Thanks for that information, I honestly appreciate it! Ry

·
"Gin'iro Ryuujin"
2,355 Posts
Bolt on upgrades being defined as all done outside of the engine and keeping the engine itself as a unit 100% stock. I bought my 2015 Challenger R/T 5.7L A8 in November of 2017 and started down the bolt on mod road about 2 months later, because the car just seemed a little lacking in performance, it had the looks, but was just a little below what I had expected from an engine in the plus or minus 350cuin size range. Performance wise when I first bought the car I ran some 0 ~ 60s using the cars built in timer I remember my very first was around 6 seconds and after many runs getting used to to the cars handling I finally on the best of situations got a 5.7 second time at 100% stock.

My very first bolt on mod was also my very first mistake, meaning bolting on something that actually hurt my overall performance not helping it, which I have had a few of those that resulted in a loss of money and buying what actually worked, and that is what this post is about, what actually has worked and increased engine to ground power resulting in better 0 ~ 60 times. So the absolutely best beginning 0 ~ 60 times have gone from the 5.7 second time to 4.4 seconds.

View attachment 244324

So here is a list of what is on my 5.7 R/T that has definitely increased performance, resulting in better 0 ~ 60 time, and this was not the best day to even run it, and it ran 2 consecutive 4.4 passes.

AFE Momentum GT CAI with Headlight Air Porting
Unlocked PCM with Hemifever engine and transmission tune, and 180 degree Thermostat Radiator fan control written in the tune.
TheFastman 82mm Ported Throttle Body.
BBK Shorty Headers, Ceramic coated and Thermal wrapped with Titanium wrap.
Magnaflow High Flow Catalytic Converters.
Magnaflow Competition Cat Back Exhaust system.
3.09 Limited Slip Differential.
SPC camber correction bushings which removed 1.5 degrees of the rear negative camber.

So I am at a Threshold, do I have more options? Yes!
But do I plan to spend more money investing in the car, IDK?
I can always go with a higher performance Cam or some type of Forced Air, or both?
But I have to decide for myself if I am going to long term keep the car or privately sell it?
I am not a drag strip racer, maybe a street racer, if there was a safe place to even do that, so I don't need drag strip capability.
I just want the car to be, IMO, what it should have rolled out of the factory door capable of doing now.
It is a true pleasure to drive now, I kid you not!
I have to literally make myself drive it with restraint!
It is so invigorating and a pure Adrenalin rush putting your foot in it! :) Ry
I'd leave it alone unless you plan to do performance upgrades in terms of cam, heads, supercharging and forged pistons. IMO you gotten the max out of bolt on capability tied together by tuning.

·
Premium Member
3,265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
I'd leave it alone unless you plan to do performance upgrades in terms of cam, heads, supercharging and forged pistons. IMO you gotten the max out of bolt on capability tied together by tuning.
I totally agree, I may go further later on, but right now, none of us know what the future holds until all this virus mess is over?

·
Premium Member
3,265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 · (Edited)
There's going to be one more performance upgrade but this was not planned at all I assure you! After experiencing my 2 piece driveshaft center support bearing failure, I am going to be swapping out the 2 piece OEM driveshaft assembly for a 1 piece Aluminum driveshaft from the Driveshaft Shop. Should have it by the mid October time period as there at this time is an 8 week wait before build as they are that backed up. I personally believe some of my own upgrades have caused the premature carrier bearing failure. Meaning going from an Open differential to a Limited Slip, going to wider heavier rear rims, wider heavier rear tires, which increase the road contact footprint allowing more grip off the line. But there have been failures that they had not changed anything and were 100% stock, so who knows what actually causes it to fail besides being a bad design.
As I said this was not a planned upgrade, but now every time I put my foot in it, I think about the failed carrier support bearing, so Black Beauty gets a new driveshaft as soon as it is built and shipped! :) Ry

·
Registered
2 Posts
Bolt on upgrades being defined as all done outside of the engine and keeping the engine itself as a unit 100% stock. I bought my 2015 Challenger R/T 5.7L A8 in November of 2017 and started down the bolt on mod road about 2 months later, because the car just seemed a little lacking in performance, it had the looks, but was just a little below what I had expected from an engine in the plus or minus 350cuin size range. Performance wise when I first bought the car I ran some 0 ~ 60s using the cars built in timer I remember my very first was around 6 seconds and after many runs getting used to to the cars handling I finally on the best of situations got a 5.7 second time at 100% stock.

My very first bolt on mod was also my very first mistake, meaning bolting on something that actually hurt my overall performance not helping it, which I have had a few of those that resulted in a loss of money and buying what actually worked, and that is what this post is about, what actually has worked and increased engine to ground power resulting in better 0 ~ 60 times. So the absolutely best beginning 0 ~ 60 times have gone from the 5.7 second time to 4.4 seconds.

View attachment 244324

So here is a list of what is on my 5.7 R/T that has definitely increased performance, resulting in better 0 ~ 60 time, and this was not the best day to even run it, and it ran 2 consecutive 4.4 passes.

Unlocked PCM with Hemifever engine and transmission tune, and 180 degree Thermostat Radiator fan control written in the tune.
SPC camber correction bushings which removed 1.5 degrees of the rear negative camber.

I can always go with a higher performance Cam or some type of Forced Air, or both?
But I have to decide for myself if I am going to long term keep the car or privately sell it?
I am not a drag strip racer, maybe a street racer, if there was a safe place to even do that, so I don't need drag strip capability.
I just want the car to be, IMO, what it should have rolled out of the factory door capable of doing now.

·
Registered
61 Posts

View attachment 244324

View attachment 244324

I have a new Mopar rearseat delete kit you can buy! You can also bolt on anderson composites carbon fiber hood, doors, roof, and trunk!! :)

Reactions: Medsport and RyzRT
21 - 29 of 29 Posts