Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Politically correct.
'09 SRT 440 HEMI
11,115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Having issues with my RER radio. Well, I'm not sure if it's the radio or something else. Ever since I got the car back from the previous owner, I notice that the only speakers that are working properly are the ones located in the front dash.

(Oh, the car has the Kicker system with the subwoofer in the trunk. Just to clarify.)

All of the other speakers are garbled and have very little sound coming from them. It also has a slight sound to it like a distortion or even a data transfer noise to it. I took the car to a local car audio business (who has very high ratings and 23 years of experience) and he claimed that he has never heard anything like that in all of the years he's been installing car systems.

It will do it on FM, Satellite radio and downloaded music on the hard drive.

This is weird. Anyone have any ideas or has this happened to your car?

o_O

·
801 RWHP
8,208 Posts
Weird John. I would pop the head unit out and check behind for loose connections. Maybe other owner monkeyed with it. Check connection in trunk. Maybe he pulled subs out for some reason. Won't cost you anything to peek. Plenty of vids to pull head unit. Check fuses. Maybe a fuse for an amp went? Just throwing darts at a wall. But cheap darts to start with.

·
Registered
3,517 Posts
John, as bill stated, I'd check the connections. I'd actually go one step further and actually disconnect, inspect, and reconnect ALL of the connectors, in the entire sound system. Coming from a Military background and pretty savvy troubleshooting BUS Systems, any connection that is open or shorted can render strange results. And from what you're telling us, your audio tech, has never "heard" anything like this.

Wishing you the best,
Carl

EDIT: Since the car has been out-of-you-hands for a number of years, you never know what the other owner may have done with it.

Reactions: oilslick

·
2012 RT Redline Tri Coat
3,672 Posts
Sounds like someone changed the crossover system and connected the data port for the GPS into the audio stream to me.

Reactions: oilslick

·
Politically correct.
'09 SRT 440 HEMI
11,115 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What's weird is that everything else on the radio is working correctly. NAV works, hard drive works, radio etc. It's just the speakers (except for the dash) that sound horrible. Is it possible that they are all blown out? ???

I contacted the previous owner and he claimed that he did nothing to the speakers or the radio. I believe him because he really did nothing to the car beside changing the oil.

Uhhhgh!

·
Politically correct.
'09 SRT 440 HEMI
11,115 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sounds like someone changed the crossover system and connected the data port for the GPS into the audio stream to me.
How would one do that? Just curious.

:confused:

·
Politically correct.
'09 SRT 440 HEMI
11,115 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just to update everyone on my issue...I went into the EVIC and switched the audio settings from surround to stereo and 90% of my issue was solved. I also changed the front door speakers and rear deck speakers to Infinity speakers which seemed to help.

There is also an issue with the cover of the rear deck speakers which Chrysler was aware of but did nothing to correct it. It seems like the rear deck cover panel is not giving the speakers enough space to "breathe" which is making the speakers sound a bit garbled. It's almost like the sound is trapped.

Here's a YouTube video of the issue.

:cool:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts