Dodge Challenger Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm interested in converting my transmission from automatic to manual. Does anybody know what is needed for the conversion? How long does it take? Any information is helpful. Please don't suggest trading in for a manual Challenger.

·
Administrator
2016 Challenger Scat Pack Shaker
58,984 Posts
Not sure if a manual transmission was ever mated to a 3.5 v6 in any vehicle Chrysler makes, that will make a big difference on how hard or costly it is.

·
Banned
2,349 Posts
You have some issues right off the bat First you will need a PCM and wiring harness as well as a flywheel and clutch for a manual. then stop and think cost just those 3k if they are even made now you will need a tranmission, shifter, pedal assy, cluster, console, and driveshaft. so 7k there now you have 9k into a project that You havent even started.

Take that 9k and your car and go trade up for a RT and gain a Hemi in the process.

·
Registered
39 Posts
You have some issues right off the bat First you will need a PCM and wiring harness as well as a flywheel and clutch for a manual. then stop and think cost just those 3k if they are even made now you will need a tranmission, shifter, pedal assy, cluster, console, and driveshaft. so 7k there now you have 9k into a project that You havent even started.

Take that 9k and your car and go trade up for a RT and gain a Hemi in the process.
hes positive he don't want to trade.so does he need to change the sheetmetal on the tranny hump as in the old bbodys

·
Administrator
2016 Challenger Scat Pack Shaker
58,984 Posts
hes positive he don't want to trade.so does he need to change the sheetmetal on the tranny hump as in the old bbodys
Yes and it will be more than just the hump like in the old days.Probably a donor car would be the way to go for all the parts. Find a wrecked R/T and change it all over including the engine.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Donor car

Im thinking the donor car would be the best route. I'm going to research this more. Thank you for the replies.

·
Banned
2,349 Posts
find a good rt 6 speed have a custom 3.5 flywhell made.put the 3.5 in the rt.put the hemi in the se automatic then we got 2 rare 1 of1 challengers

Rare 1 of 1 ??? might be a reason for that , I mean cool idea but what a Frankenstein .

So you know for sure you can make a 5.7 flywheel work ?? what about PCM ? to be honest I see 3 parts cars in the works. Abd this comes for the guy that has done thing on my car that no one else has.

But have fun and good luck

·
Challenger Old Guy...
6,527 Posts
To go where no one has gone before.....

Outside all the logistical nightmares involved in just obtaining and fabricating
parts to do what this gentleman wants to do, and to go where no one has
gone before, I ask this one additional question:

Who is the engineering whizbang genius that has the knowledge, resources and equipment to do this??

I'd like to visit his "webpage"....

:4-dontknow:

Reactions: kilo1

·
Banned
2,349 Posts
Outside all the logistical nightmares involved in just obtaining and fabricating
parts to do what this gentleman wants to do, and to go where no one has
gone before, I ask this one additional question:

Who is the engineering whizbang genius that has the knowledge, resources and equipment to do this??

I'd like to visit his "webpage"....

:4-dontknow:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A5cneCgNA9U

·
Registered
39 Posts
Rare 1 of 1 ??? might be a reason for that , I mean cool idea but what a Frankenstein .

So you know for sure you can make a 5.7 flywheel work ?? what about PCM ? to be honest I see 3 parts cars in the works. Abd this comes for the guy that has done thing on my car that no one else has.

But have fun and good luck
now this conversion aint my idea the op for some reason wants a 3.5 6 speed what I know is even in the old cars a 4speed conversion is pretty involved and expensive

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
I'm interested in converting my transmission from automatic to manual. Does anybody know what is needed for the conversion? How long does it take? Any information is helpful. Please don't suggest trading in for a manual Challenger.

Like others have said here, not worth the hassle or expense to undertake this. Best bet, trade your car in for an RT six speed. Would be alot cheaper then this conversion. Plus you will have a hemi.:smileup:

·
Now that was dumb!
6,029 Posts
Drive shaft probably different also....maybe even rear end.

Could be very costly. Drive shaft more then likely different lengths, not to mention usually less spines on manually driven Challengers. Less splines = stronger and also the drive shaft length will change. What about rear end?
I wouldn't consider this possible unless he's got well over 10 grand and a complete workshop. Probably well over 10K.

as others suggest....tell him to get an R/T. Cheaper.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Frankenstein

Alright, I did a little bit of research and found that a five speed was never made for the SE. Rather than convert I'm going to leave it as it is. Thank you for the advice and the replies guys. I think I will just supercharge it later though.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.