·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 09' , SE-3.5-automatic .I'm just hitting 50,000 miles.The
dealer is telling me I need a Transmission tune-up service
but it seems to be running just fine.The cost is reasonable,
i guess.They want $174.95......I was just wondering if
it's time and I really need it now.I've heard horror stories
about "flushing" services.Not sure what to do here.Any help
is greatly appreciated.Thanks guys and gals.....

SEMPER FI,
Chris Stacey

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
Yeah, that's a crap shoot dude, Im just going to tell you my opinion and do not want to scare or sway your decision in any way shape or form...so here it go's, do you really need it? Probably not...will you have peace of mind if you do and it's done correctly, maybe?...what I can tell you is I am a transmission rebuilder with 20+ years under my belt and when people come in for a preventive trans service part of the floor techs job is to drop the pan to inspect its contents, it's then policy to show the contents in the bottom of the pan to the senior builder (myself), and 10 out of 10 times it shows normal debris which is a few tiny flakes of brass, maybe a little mound of friction material and the pan magnet showing fuzzy goo. I then roll my eyes and say its normal, whether or not the boss likes it is tough cookies, I get paid for my experience and opinion and don't like to do unnecessary work piled on top of legit work..."guess what" the condition of the above described pan is "NORMAL" don't ever let anyone tell you that you're in dire need of a rebuild (you know your car better then anyone else and if it's not broke don't fix it)...its just an attempt to make bank on you...so if you don't know what you're looking when they bring your pan over to you, the dog and pony show starts...that's how problems start and turn into the nightmares you've mentioned above...there are good techs out there, though not easy to find...so just remember the pan scare scam, use your own judgement and you should be able to wart off the crooks by just saying "no not today just the fluid change right now" when they go in for the kill on a transmission inspection service...good luck in your ventures

·
RELIVN
301 Posts
Also, having the service done may be the only way to protect the warranty on the transmission. I know on mine, it's required to maintain the drivetrain warranty on it.

·
How fa$$$t do want to go?
9,406 Posts
Remember when the factory provided a transmission dip stick? Have the car on a level surface, after being run for awhile. Leave the motor running and transmission in Park. Pull out the transmission dip stick, wipe it down, reinsert in transmission, and remove again. If the bright red fluid was in between the two hash marks on the dip stick and the smell of the fluid had a strong petroleum odor, you're good to go. Add the fact you know how you car feels while driving, you'd notice a definite problem while the transmission was shifting. I'm not waiting for the dealer to do his super secret transmission fluid check, I purchased a B&M transmission dip stick from Speedlogix (Forum Z vendor). I'll check my transmission fluid myself. It's worked for me for the past 52 years.-:D--JMO

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.