Dodge Challenger Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was out test driving some Challengers yesterday and found myself having an issue with the Autostik. Ya see, my wife has a Charger SE+ with an automatic tranny but no autostik. As a result, my right hand is usually grasping the shifter and kinda tapping it side to side as I'm driving. Well I did that while driving a Challenger yesterday, causing it to shift unexpectedly. YIKES! Big YIKES when I did that on the highway. Good thing I know the salesperson that was with me as she just laughed at me.

How do you guys with Autostik manage to drive without screwing up like I did? :4-looney:

I guess I'll have to consider a manual tranny. :4-dontknow:

·
Mopartial to Challengers
2015 SRT Hellcat
11,050 Posts
I have paddle shifters and have inadvertently downshifted on a couple of occasions, startling the heck out of myself.

Does the autostick come with the SXT model?

·
Premium Member
17,675 Posts
I always have my hand wrapped around my Pistol Grip and I pretty much always drive in Autostick Mode.....the car is way more responsive and my exhaust sounds soooo much better. Can't remember the last time I didn't drive in Autostick Mode.

Reactions: HemiMetal

·
Registered
2,907 Posts
I have paddle shifters and have inadvertently downshifted on a couple of occasions, startling the heck out of myself.

Does the autostick come with the SXT model?
Yes!

And to the uninitiated the paddle shifters are just in the weirdest position. The day I bought my car on the way home I was coming down an exit ramp and accidentally/unknowingly down shifted and couldn't figure out why the car was revving up but not shifting. Finally realized what I did, started using the paddle shifters to shift but couldn't figure out how to get it back to normal. Was a very trying 15 minutes lol

·
Premium Member
1,141 Posts
You will get used to it. Sure was strange for me after driving a Pontiac 400/4-speed for 20 plus years as a daily driver! If I can over come that in the matter of days, you'll get used to auto stick. LOL

I too have the paddles and love them as well...

·
Registered
474 Posts
I always have my hand wrapped around my Pistol Grip and I pretty much always drive in Autostick Mode.....the car is way more responsive and my exhaust sounds soooo much better. Can't remember the last time I didn't drive in Autostick Mode.

How is your gas MPG using only autostick since ECO is not activated ?

Can you elaborate on more responsive ?

·
Seeing red
14,951 Posts
I was out test driving some Challengers yesterday and found myself having an issue with the Autostik. Ya see, my wife has a Charger SE+ with an automatic tranny but no autostik. As a result, my right hand is usually grasping the shifter and kinda tapping it side to side as I'm driving. Well I did that while driving a Challenger yesterday, causing it to shift unexpectedly. YIKES! Big YIKES when I did that on the highway. Good thing I know the salesperson that was with me as she just laughed at me.

How do you guys with Autostik manage to drive without screwing up like I did? :4-looney:

I guess I'll have to consider a manual tranny. :4-dontknow:
I have been driving in autostick mode quite often since I had Flowmaster 40's installed just to hear the roar more often. I am not sure what protection is built into the system to address a downshift while the rpm's are still too high for the gear you are in and I don't want to find out the hard way.

You're mpg will go down and not simply because ECO is deactivated, it is because autostick pretty much means you are driving a little more aggressively and at a higher sustained rpm. But the fun factor is higher as well.

·
Registered
60 Posts

This is not a direct comparison of apples and apples but I had a 5.7 1500 Ram that I did several experiments on with gas mileage with MDS on and off. The MDS did help gas mileage on the highway by about 4-6 MPG and 2-3 MPG in the city. But I hated it in the city. Just too unresponsive for my taste. On the highway though I didn't mind it provided I wasn't in heavy traffic. But as heavy as the Challenger is the Ram was a LOT heavier which probably made it far more noticable.

·
Registered
474 Posts
For the Autostick drivers - It appears that it is true that it is little bit worse on fuel mpg which is good to know, thanks.

The other question- In which way is it more responsive ? Do you mean quicker with more acceleration ?

In a 1/4 - Would autostick get a faster time than regular auto (D ) ?

·
Registered
71 Posts
For the Autostick drivers - It appears that it is true that it is little bit worse on fuel mpg which is good to know, thanks.

The other question- In which way is it more responsive ? Do you mean quicker with more acceleration ?

I think he meant that when driving around in city traffic, the car tends to go in and out of MDS frequently and at times there's this slight hesitation when going to v8 mode. I've noticed it a couple of times otherwise I never feel the difference. I tend to drive with "sport mode" on whenever I drive. Car is "peppier". :)

·
Premium Member
17,675 Posts

Ya....MPG goes down....faster acceleration with higher revs....better exhaust sound. I've taken my car down the track a few times.....never in Autostick Mode....mostly due to the fact that human error is out of the equation.

·
Registered
474 Posts
Ya....MPG goes down....faster acceleration with higher revs....better exhaust sound. I've taken my car down the track a few times.....never in Autostick Mode....mostly due to the fact that human error is out of the equation.
Not sure of other years but the 2013, autostick will shift for you once that gear has hit top speed which is just under redline but Sport mode you have to manually shift.

Is that the same way for your car? If so, do you think that will eliminate human error ?

·
Registered
60 Posts
I think he meant that when driving around in city traffic, the car tends to go in and out of MDS frequently and at times there's this slight hesitation when going to v8 mode. I've noticed it a couple of times otherwise I never feel the difference. I tend to drive with "sport mode" on whenever I drive. Car is "peppier". :)
This was my observation as well. That little lag between kicking from 4-8 cylinders can be annoying at times.

·
Mopartial to Challengers
2015 SRT Hellcat
11,050 Posts
I have owned my Challenger for nearly 8 months and from reading this thread, I figured out just this morning that I have autostick :doh: It just never occurred to me that Dodge would include both autostick AND paddle shifters. It's like getting a free mod!

·
Registered
2,907 Posts
I have owned my Challenger for nearly 8 months and from reading this thread, I figured out just this morning that I have autostick :doh: It just never occurred to me that Dodge would include both autostick AND paddle shifters. It's like getting a free mod!
I never really use my paddle shifters, and honestly I didn't know about the autostick either. Was driving one day saw the -/+ beside the shifter and thought "hmmm" and gave her a bump. Now I use that thing on a daily basis! :smileup:

·
Premium Member
17,675 Posts
Not sure of other years but the 2013, autostick will shift for you once that gear has hit top speed which is just under redline but Sport mode you have to manually shift.

Is that the same way for your car? If so, do you think that will eliminate human error ?
Ya...sorry....also always in Sport Mode as well so could possibly eliminate the human error factor if taken out of Sport Mode. I'd like to test that out.

·
Registered
474 Posts
Ya...sorry....also always in Sport Mode as well so could possibly eliminate the human error factor if taken out of Sport Mode. I'd like to test that out.
Ya i tested it out before and it is written in the manual, in autostick without sport mode, the gear will automatically upshift to 2nd gear once it has reached its top speed in that gear which is usually right under redline.

I just didn't know autostick would have more acceleration and less delay but that is good to know .

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.