Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Challenger Scat Pack F8 Green
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well long story short thought I had the infamous hemi tick, but it turned out to be much more than that. Took it to the dealership and they diagnosed four bad lifters on the left bank. This is a common problem with these cars. The MDS lifters are crap. Luckily the cam is fine. If you feel something is not right take it in. It's a couple thousand dollar job once you get out of warranty.
IMG_20210603_175952547.jpg

·
Administrator
2016 Challenger Scat Pack Shaker
55,190 Posts
Well that is upsetting, you think by now they would have this issue resolved. This is a supplier problem and I don't know if they still have the same one after all these years.

·
Registered
2020 Dodge Challenger Hellraisin Scat Pack
1,771 Posts
Thanks for the update. Unfortunate to have a serious problem at any time with a car but with a "new" car particularly unpleasant.

But glad to read the warranty took care of the car and engine.

·
Registered
1,771 Posts
Well that is upsetting, you think by now they would have this issue resolved. This is a supplier problem and I don't know if they still have the same one after all these years.
Wouldn't surprise me that Dodge still has the same supplier. One just doesn't switch from supplier A to supplier B for something like lifters over night.

For one thing Dodge would have to find a company that has the extra capacity or can bring it on line ASAP to produce the necessary number of lifters Dodge requires to keep its factories humming.

And the company would have to be able to match the per unit price of the company Dodge is switching away from. That price would have been pared down over the years as the company was forced to cut costs to keep its business relationship with Dodge.

I can understand the need to keep costs in check. But at some point cost cutting carries with it a "hidden" cost and this is drop off in quality.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Dodge knows there's a problem. Apparently they redesigned the lifters a little while back. I guess it wasn't good enough. They'd rather just fix the issues as they arise then put out a TSB or a recall. It's all about the $$

·
Registered
66 Posts
Well long story short thought I had the infamous hemi tick, but it turned out to be much more than that. Took it to the dealership and they diagnosed four bad lifters on the left bank. This is a common problem with these cars. The MDS lifters are crap. Luckily the cam is fine. If you feel something is not right take it in. It's a couple thousand dollar job once you get out of warranty.
View attachment 279530
"This is a common problem with these cars. The MDS lifters are crap." So sorry to hear of this issue with your new Challenger. My 2009 R/T had the hemi tick and it was corrected by changing my oil from Pennzoil to AMSoil which is 100% synthetic unlike the others. Keep in mind that I have MDS in my 92k R/T and the issue was resolved, so, I wouldn't be so quick to authoritatively bash our MDS lifters, unless you're a Dodge master mechanic who knows better. Maybe your car was a lemon.

·
Premium Member
4,565 Posts
You the owner can request something. Go see a service manager and ask him to plug the gizmo into the OBDII port. Find out if some butthead slammed the engine into the rev limiter and for how long before you ever bought the car. Some sales people are real &%(% A$$holes.
-John

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
"This is a common problem with these cars. The MDS lifters are crap." So sorry to hear of this issue with your new Challenger. My 2009 R/T had the hemi tick and it was corrected by changing my oil from Pennzoil to AMSoil which is 100% synthetic unlike the others. Keep in mind that I have MDS in my 92k R/T and the issue was resolved, so, I wouldn't be so quick to authoritatively bash our MDS lifters, unless you're a Dodge master mechanic who knows better. Maybe your car was a lemon.
You know what the definition of a lemon is? In my state it's at the car has been in service more than 30 days or the same problem manifests itself three times and cannot be repaired. I never said my car was a lemon. But I've done extensive research on these MDS lifters. Hell just Google "hemi lifter failure". No I'm not a master mechanic but I can read. Also when they diagnosed my problem the service manager said this is the second Challenger with less than 5K miles that had failed lifters he's seen in a month. Yes in my opinion they are crap.

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
I've heard a couple of R/T's with the tick, but so far, no 392's. The R/T's had it very bad and I wanted to ask the owner if they had told the dealer about it. If I heard that coming out of any engine I owned, I would be pretty upset.

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
I've heard a couple of R/T's with the tick, but so far, no 392's. The R/T's had it very bad and I wanted to ask the owner if they had told the dealer about it. If I heard that coming out of any engine I owned, I would be pretty upset.
The 6.4 also has tick issues. I have had 2 345's. neither ticked but both engines can tick.

Cut/paste:
Chrysler/Dodge 6.4 Hemi Engine Problems and Reliability
Like the 5.7 Hemi, the 6.4-liter 392 Hemi version is a good, reliable V8 engine with even more power and torque. To date, there were no known serious problems with this engine in normal daily-drive usage. Similar to the 5.7-liter version, "Hemi ticking" is found on 6.4 Hemi V8 as it also has the MDS system. Don't worry, "the family's tick" does not affect anything. The Cylinder Deactivation System (MDS) needs thin 0W-40 and clean oil. Therefore, it is very important to use only the recommended oil and change it on time. In general, the 6.4 Hemi is a big reliable, American pushrod V8 engine with a factory warranty for five years or 100,000 miles.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The 6.4 also has tick issues. I have had 2 345's. neither ticked but both engines can tick.

Cut/paste:
Like the 5.7 Hemi, the 6.4-liter 392 Hemi version is a good, reliable V8 engine with even more power and torque. To date, there were no known serious problems with this engine in normal daily-drive usage. Similar to the 5.7-liter version, "Hemi ticking" is found on 6.4 Hemi V8 as it also has the MDS system. Don't worry, "the family's tick" does not affect anything. The Cylinder Deactivation System (MDS) needs thin 0W-40 and clean oil. Therefore, it is very important to use only the recommended oil and change it on time. In general, the 6.4 Hemi is a big reliable, American pushrod V8 engine with a factory warranty for five years or 100,000 miles.
My 2020 Ram 5.7 has 9k miles now and not a peep. Believe me you can hear the lifters when they're bad

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)

Cut/paste:
It's funny the 5.7 calls for 5w20. They have the same MDS system as the 6.4 so you wonder why they have different weight oil

·
Registered
2017 TA Green Go.
69 Posts
They had to replace all the lifters on left bank.
Mds lifters AND regular ones.
My bet is the block casting has issues and this will happen again in a short time.
Lifters were upgraded around 2016 and alot fewer issues since then.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
They had to replace all the lifters on left bank.
Mds lifters AND regular ones.
My bet is the block casting has issues and this will happen again in a short time.
Lifters were upgraded around 2016 and alot fewer issues since then.
Same here they're replaced the whole left bank. They come in sets of four so one part number is actually four lifters

·
Registered
2017 TA Green Go.
69 Posts
So they replaced all 8 lifters on left bank?
Did they tell which lifters were bad or did they replace them all because all were bad?
The lifters going bad at 2k means u got a bad batch. Even the old part number skinny roller bearing ones lasted 70 to 80k. The new more robust lifters which are in your 20 would not fail at 2k unless something else was going on.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
So they replaced all 8 lifters on left bank?
Did they tell which lifters were bad or did they replace them all because all were bad?
The lifters going bad at 2k means u got a bad batch. Even the old part number skinny roller bearing ones lasted 70 to 80k. The new more robust lifters which are in your 20 would not fail at 2k unless something else was going on.
They told me 4 lifters were bad but they didn't specify which ones. I agree it had to be a bad batch. Definitely a manufacturing issue not lack of oiling. I'm only guessing but since they come in a batch of four for one part number they're must have been bad ones in each set. I'm glad they replaced the whole bank.

·
Registered
1,771 Posts
It's funny the 5.7 calls for 5w20. They have the same MDS system as the 6.4 so you wonder why they have different weight oil
Assuming the 6.4l MDS system is identical to the one in the 5.7l engine then the difference in oil arises from other differences between the two engines.

·
Registered
1,771 Posts
They told me 4 lifters were bad but they didn't specify which ones. I agree it had to be a bad batch. Definitely a manufacturing issue not lack of oiling. I'm only guessing but since they come in a batch of four for one part number they're must have been bad ones in each set. I'm glad they replaced the whole bank.
That the entire bank was replaced may not be due to a "bad" batch of lifters, but due to lifter contamination. With another brand of car at some point a misfire diagnosis could lead to a replacement of all lifters of a bank. The factory manual attributed the lifter misbehavior -- mainly "ticking" -- to "dirt". The dirt ending up in the original lifters. Thus the replacement lifters were less likely to be exposed to dirt.

·
Registered
2017 TA Green Go.
69 Posts
Wouldnt this "dirt" spread throughout the engine? Thus compromising lifters, bearings, basically everything. Seems odd that with todays manufacturing techniques "dirt" could be allowed in a factory sealed engine. At least in the quantities to take out components in 2k miles.
Just thinking out loud but seems more a manufacturing defect.

OP was the oil changed at 1000 miles? After breakin?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Wouldnt this "dirt" spread throughout the engine? Thus compromising lifters, bearings, basically everything. Seems odd that with todays manufacturing techniques "dirt" could be allowed in a factory sealed engine. At least in the quantities to take out components in 2k miles.
Just thinking out loud but seems more a manufacturing defect.

OP was the oil changed at 1000 miles? After breakin?
500 miles actually. Yes I'm going with manufacturer defect. Just a guess.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts