Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
801 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While I was in MI last week, I had to parallel park my car, I noticed the truck in front of me had a hitch so I gave him extra room to play it safe, (I should have snapped a pic of his license plate) so when I returned to my car, truck was gone and I had a cracked bumper, needless to say it ruined my day. then my wife and I get into it, she contends it was an accident, I say the person was ignorant, careless and didn't have any remorse any it. fortunately I had a lot of paint chips I wanted to fix, to re painting the bumper is what I have to do now. I swear if I was walking up to my car and saw this happen, its a good thing I don't conceal carry with me, otherwise I'd be in jail now.

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
thanks what I keep saying "you can't have anything good around here"

·
Registered
738 Posts
Yea, I always see these pickups that got to have a receiver hitch with 4 different balls on it and it sticks out 2 feet from the bumper! I don't know why the owners can't pull them off when not using them.

·
Premium Member
470 Posts
I was walking out of a restaurant , and something hit my shin, yep trailer ball ,

the a hole backed in all the way , it stuck out 2 feet in to the sidewalk,

yea take them off when not in use and if you dont remove it , the karma wagon may stop by and remove it for you

I feel you pain, just down lower

·
Mopartial to Challengers
2013 Dodge Challenger R/T Classic
9,683 Posts
Unless I had absolutely no other parking choice, I would never park behind a vehicle with a trailer hitch. It's one of my parking paranoias although admittedly your experience is the first time I have heard of it happening. The driver had to know that he struck your car and for him to leave without so much as a note is just irresponsible and self-serving.

·
Registered
3,711 Posts
to the OP, very sorry to hear about the accident... atleast now as you said you will get the chips taken out... one good thing about accidents are the lessons they teach us and hopefully won't make the same mistake twice...

Yea, I always see these pickups that got to have a receiver hitch with 4 different balls on it and it sticks out 2 feet from the bumper! I don't know why the owners can't pull them off when not using them.
Answer: Laziness

i have a pickup and have multiple hitches... i have found that not only is it a PITA to always walk way around them, you take the risk of having the dang things stolen (unless of course you use a locking pin type). either way, don't be lazy and stow the hitch when not in use... not only could you save yourself a lot trouble, but damage to others as well...

end of micro-rant... :att:

·
Waiting for beautiful fall colors!
2020 Go Mango Scat Pack
28,433 Posts
I live in farm/ranch country where the majority of vehicles are pickups. (As my husband always reminds me, they aren't trucks, they are pickups)! No one would ever think of removing their hitches. Around here we don't have the same type of close parking problems (no people!). Many pickups are used daily with the hitches. It is a working pickup 24/7.

·
Administrator
2016 Challenger Scat Pack Shaker
53,655 Posts
Sorry for your misfortune, at least you will have fresh looking bumper.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Ya my wife tripped over one due to the jerk feeling the need to back into the parking space, dam thing hung over the sidewalk two feet. She wasnt looking down but had just gotten out of her car to walk into the store as she rounded the back of the truck she caught it and down she went. I wanted to wait for the guy but my wife knows how I get and didnt want me to end up in jail. So she begged me to leave. I told her we should have taken photos and the information on the truck, file a police report, and sued the owner for negligence.

·
Premium Member
1,517 Posts
Hit and Run

That's so lousy. It's fully maddening when someone commits such a cowardly act. I'm sure your beautiful ride will look good as new when completed. Be sure to post a photo of it when done.
Keep on CHALLENGING!

·
Registered
8,503 Posts
I honestly don't think this situation arose because of a truck with a trailer hitch......I honestly think the accident was a direct result of the inconsiderate loose nut that was behind the wheel of that truck.

·
Premium Member
1,451 Posts
to the OP, very sorry to hear about the accident... atleast now as you said you will get the chips taken out... one good thing about accidents are the lessons they teach us and hopefully won't make the same mistake twice...

Answer: Laziness

i have a pickup and have multiple hitches... i have found that not only is it a PITA to always walk way around them, you take the risk of having the dang things stolen (unless of course you use a locking pin type). either way, don't be lazy and stow the hitch when not in use... not only could you save yourself a lot trouble, but damage to others as well...

end of micro-rant… :att:

I remove mine on my pick up when not in use. Had knee surgery two years ago because I RAN into it with my right knee. Learned a valuable and painful lesson.

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
Not worth going to jail over for sure!...it's just a car and sadly there's way to many of em on the road to have a criminal record over...step back, take a breath, and use your insurance (it's one of the reasons you pay a premium) to fix it and all the little stuff that's been bugging you...when it's done get some front end protection to keep rocks from being flung up and chipping the front end paint....lastly, NEVER park it and leave it unattended you're just ringing the dinner bell for jealous A-HOLES to damage it...it's EZ for me to say mines a queen...LOL

·
12,989 Posts
Wow!! sorry to hear that.

·
Registered
471 Posts
""I honestly don't think this situation arose because of a truck with a trailer hitch......I honestly think the accident was a direct result of the inconsiderate loose nut that was behind the wheel of that truck.""

ABSOLUTELY CORRECT !

Don't blame the vehicle ! Blame the driver of the truck ! I leave my hitch attached to my Ram in case someone rear ends "ME" ! I do have reflectors on it so if you walk into it you were not looking where you were going.

Much sympathy for your Challenger, should have gotten the license plate like you said.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts