Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since Barton put a Labor Day sale on their shifters, I had to get my first real mod done!

I was someone who didn't think the gates and distance on the stock 6 speed were all that bad. I've heard people complain about 3rd gear shifts being difficult to find but never had the issue myself The factory shifter is actually pretty good imo. HOWEVER the Barton short shifter makes it seem like the stock one was an inferior product, and in comparison, it really is.

I went with their Pistol grip in brushed aluminum with black plates and it looks amazing! Shifts are basically flick of the wrist long, and the adjustability F/R, L/R of the shifter itself makes it that much more comfortable than the stock one. It was not cheap... even on sale... Barton makes a fantastic product though and I have absolutely no regrets parting with my money.

One complaint, the shift boot.... the damn shift boot! I was sure the pistol grip wouldn't fit through the factory hole..... since its about 4x the girth of the stock one. I cut along a seam to give me some room (THIS IS THE WRONG WAY TO DO IT!!!). I now have to get the threads repaired since I can't find a boot replacement without the stock shifter. I viewed a youtube video from Work Play Drive (anyone modding their challenger would be wise to check this guy out) and he was able to stretch the leather to fit around the shifter and secured it with the zip tie provided by Barton.

All in all, I would highly recommend this product for anyone considering the upgrade. It took me maybe 2 hours and I was slow and methodical taking apart the center console and associated parts to be replaced.

Don't know if it will help me improve my 1/4 time of 13.1 @110 but the shifts will be that much shorter and I'm happy about that!

IMG_7355.JPG IMG_7356.JPG IMG_7357.JPG IMG_7358.JPG IMG_7359.JPG IMG_7360.JPG IMG_7361.JPG

Attachments

·
Registered
62 Posts
Very Nice! and Old School!
Short shifters are the Word and the Truth!
I have an MGW short shifter in my Stingray and it is so much better than factory
Got the 8 speed for my Scat so my wife could drive it but if she could/would drive a stick
would have gotten the 6 speed and put this shifter in it.

·
Trigger657
2,014 Posts
Since Barton put a Labor Day sale on their shifters, I had to get my first real mod done!

I was someone who didn't think the gates and distance on the stock 6 speed were all that bad. I've heard people complain about 3rd gear shifts being difficult to find but never had the issue myself The factory shifter is actually pretty good imo. HOWEVER the Barton short shifter makes it seem like the stock one was an inferior product, and in comparison, it really is.

I went with their Pistol grip in brushed aluminum with black plates and it looks amazing! Shifts are basically flick of the wrist long, and the adjustability F/R, L/R of the shifter itself makes it that much more comfortable than the stock one. It was not cheap... even on sale... Barton makes a fantastic product though and I have absolutely no regrets parting with my money.

One complaint, the shift boot.... the damn shift boot! I was sure the pistol grip wouldn't fit through the factory hole..... since its about 4x the girth of the stock one. I cut along a seam to give me some room (THIS IS THE WRONG WAY TO DO IT!!!). I now have to get the threads repaired since I can't find a boot replacement without the stock shifter. I viewed a youtube video from Work Play Drive (anyone modding their challenger would be wise to check this guy out) and he was able to stretch the leather to fit around the shifter and secured it with the zip tie provided by Barton.

All in all, I would highly recommend this product for anyone considering the upgrade. It took me maybe 2 hours and I was slow and methodical taking apart the center console and associated parts to be replaced.

Don't know if it will help me improve my 1/4 time of 13.1 @110 but the shifts will be that much shorter and I'm happy about that!

View attachment 209688 View attachment 209690 View attachment 209692 View attachment 209694 View attachment 209696 View attachment 209698 View attachment 209700
Did it twice. My 09 R/T and the 2014 Core I have now. I watched the guy you mentioned. Good stuff. Went with Ball shifters. I agree with you and that's the way to go... (y)
09 R/T

2014 Core

1 - 8 of 8 Posts