Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Installed a barton shifter, but I get a kind of scraping sound in 1st and 2nd gear.. hard to explain. Hopefully it can be heard in this video. I have not tried teflon tape yet but wondering what others have done to rectify if they've had the same problem.

·
Enjoying the ride !
1,155 Posts
There is a video on the install by work play drive I believe, pull your center section up & there is a cable or wiring that runs parallel on the drivers side of the shifter it has a Christmas tree push plug that holds it away from the shifter just a thought maybe it popped out ? I'm no expert by any means just throwing it out there.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yeah
There is a video on the install by work play drive I believe, pull your center section up & there is a cable or wiring that runs parallel on the drivers side of the shifter it has a Christmas tree push plug that holds it away from the shifter just a thought maybe it popped out ? I'm no expert by any means just throwing it out there.
yeah good call out. I used that video as a guide and know exactly what you're talking about. I did secure that, unless it has since come loose. It sounds like a metal on metal sound

·
Registered
34 Posts
It sounds to me like gear noise being transmitted up through the shifter assembly. When I did mine I had a ton of noise at first, it ended up being that I didn’t have the nut for the one shield tight enough which was letting it rattle a bit.

You’ll have a little more noise than stock, but try this first and hopefully it’ll quiet it up a bit. There should be a torque spec but I don’t have it offhand.

Attachments

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It sounds to me like gear noise being transmitted up through the shifter assembly. When I did mine I had a ton of noise at first, it ended up being that I didn’t have the nut for the one shield tight enough which was letting it rattle a bit.

You’ll have a little more noise than stock, but try this first and hopefully it’ll quiet it up a bit. There should be a torque spec but I don’t have it offhand.
Thanks for that. That one is pretty tight but I suppose I could try to get it tighter. I tried to loosen it today and couldn't budge it.

I got in touch with Dave from Barton over email and he first asked me to check if the buzz is still there with the shift ball off (it is) and then to loosen the rear bracket nut, move the shifter around to let it snug and then re-tighten. I have not gone this route yet

·
Registered
34 Posts
Thanks for that. That one is pretty tight but I suppose I could try to get it tighter. I tried to loosen it today and couldn't budge it.

I got in touch with Dave from Barton over email and he first asked me to check if the buzz is still there with the shift ball off (it is) and then to loosen the rear bracket nut, move the shifter around to let it snug and then re-tighten. I have not gone this route yet
I would definitely try their recommendation first.

if you try and snug the nut down more I’d try and find a torque value first, if I remember correctly the stud is pretty small and I’m sure it wouldn’t be difficult to overtighten and possibly break the stud.

Another thing, check that trim ring that is attached to your shifter boot that all clips are pushed in, I think the boot helps to muffle the gear noise. Be careful when doing so, that trim piece is pretty delicate - I may have snapped a section during install :oops:

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm not sure I even know where the rear bracket nut lives.. or the trim thing you mentioned it. Do you just mean the weather boots that wraps around the shifter?

·
Registered
34 Posts
I'm not sure I even know where the rear bracket nut lives.. or the trim thing you mentioned it. Do you just mean the weather boots that wraps around the shifter?
I’m not sure what they’re calling the rear bracket, but if I had to guess I’d imagine it’d be the rear plate with the 6 bolt holes (blue arrow). If I remember correctly that’s what holds the shifter base in (the part that the shift handle bolts to with two screws), so it’d make sense to loosen that and move the shifter around to ensure it’s seated.

As for the trim ring, I’m referring to the plastic piece at the base of the shifter boot (leather looking material that goes on the shifter and covers up the cutout in your console). I don’t have a photo on hand of that, but if you look at the green arrows in my second pic those are a few of the points that the clips press into, my point is just to make sure that all of those are snapped in (carefully).

Did you do the install yourself? If not you may want to bring it back to whoever did it and have them check it out. Otherwise keep posting back here and I’ll do my best to help, it’s been over a year since I did mine so I’m trying to refresh my memory from old photos I have.

Attachments

1 - 10 of 10 Posts