Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What are the best Challenger mods that won't break the budget when it comes to increasing HP? I bought the V6.... sorry.

·
Dazed & Confused
35,048 Posts
HP is not cheap, costs a pretty penny. Best bang for the buck is a tuner but if you want more than 10 to 20 HP you could get by with nitrous but may as well look at a supercharger for your ride if you have the 3.6. Since you have a 2016 you'd also need to have your PCM unlocked or purchase one already unlocked in order to add a tune. Retail prices for a tuner/PCM is around $1k but you can find them cheaper.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
HP is not cheap, costs a pretty penny. Best bang for the buck is a tuner but if you want more than 10 to 20 HP you could get by with nitrous but may as well look at a supercharger for your ride if you have the 3.6. Since you have a 2016 you'd also need to have your PCM unlocked or purchase one already unlocked in order to add a tune. Retail prices for a tuner/PCM is around $1k but you can find them cheaper.
It's a 2018. Not a 2016. Thanks! Idk if that changes anything though

·
Registered
475 Posts
Cold air intake and exhaust are about the only reasonably inexpensive mods. You probably don’t want to void your warranty by going with a modified tune or induction system and those things get real pricey anyway. The 305 HP V6 is plenty powerful and for most purposes, fairly close in performance to a 5.7. You probably bought it to save some money and fuel economy but if you are looking for V8 horsepower, sound and torque, you should have got a R/T...no matter what you modify, it will never sound like a Hemi!

·
Registered
91 Posts
Most mods won’t actually do much unless you have a tune. The engines are suppressed more by the computer than anything else.

According to a few horsepower/track time calculators I’ve used, a stock 3.6 should take about 7-8hp to see a full 0.1 sec drop in 0-60(if ran at same location, same weight, and same temp/barometric pressure).

My first 2 mods were K&N cold air intake and mandrel bent catback exhaust with magnaflow mufflers. Although it sounded better(and sounded faster) from both mods, my 0-60 did not change. Suggesting that the combined hp increase was less than 7-8. If someone bought a $300 CAI, and a $600-700 catback exhaust, thats about $1000 for what could be less than a 7hp bump.

A custom 91oct tune(WILL VOID WARRANTY IF DEALER SEES IT) cost me just under $1000 and added around 30-35hp. In addition, every mod I did was magnified by the tuner. With full intake and exhaust mods, I’ve now added around 45-55hp over stock.

Tuner is the big investment, from there you can DIY some of your own mods:

-Delete the rear resonator/mufflers leaving the small mid-mufflers.

-hand port your throttle body Fastman style.

-hellcat intake box with high flow filter and replace stock tubing with an airaid U-build-it kit.

My advice:
If you DO care about your warranty, don’t get a tuner, and focus on making it sound and look awesome.
If you DONT care about warranty, start with a tuner.

·
Registered
554 Posts
"Cold air" intake nor a cat back exhaust are gonna give any HP gains. And exhaust isn't gonna help the V6 in any way including sounding better, imho.

Tuner is the only thing that'll give you anything and even that is gonna be an extremely small gain that you won't even really notice other than maybe a placebo effect, plus it's gonna cost about a grand for the tuner and pcm. Then ya got the warranty aspect with the tuner.

Best mod I did with the sxt I had for 6 months was the trade in for an RT mod. Didn't regret it AT ALL. They aren't even close in comparison. The HP numbers are semi close but the torque is night and day.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Tuner is the only thing that'll give you anything and even that is gonna be an extremely small gain that you won't even really notice other than maybe a placebo effect
Small gain you won’t notice? You obviously never tuned your V6.lol. Typically, people see a 0-60 drop of .4-.5 seconds. With full bolt-ons added and a custom tune, 1 second drops(comparable to RT times) have been seen. Tuning also creates firmer/faster shifts and better responsiveness than seen in a stock 3.6 or 5.7. It’s definitely not placebo.

The stock tunes are extremely conservative in the 3.6 for some reason. Once you fix the awful stock tune, THEN the car starts screaming for more air flow and THAT is when you need to get rid of the very restrictive rear resonators, ditch the turbulent accordion intake tube, and fix the pinched lower intake manifold.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Do the air cleaner first. A K&N drop in will do. Use premium fuel and reset the PCM. You will notice a difference.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Small gain you won’t notice? You obviously never tuned your V6.lol. Typically, people see a 0-60 drop of .4-.5 seconds. With full bolt-ons added and a custom tune, 1 second drops(comparable to RT times) have been seen. Tuning also creates firmer/faster shifts and better responsiveness than seen in a stock 3.6 or 5.7. It’s definitely not placebo.

The stock tunes are extremely conservative in the 3.6 for some reason. Once you fix the awful stock tune, THEN the car starts screaming for more air flow and THAT is when you need to get rid of the very restrictive rear resonators, ditch the turbulent accordion intake tube, and fix the pinched lower intake manifold.
No I did not tune the v6, I didn't do anything to it. I did however tune my RT and didn't notice anything. The only reason I got the tuner was to turn off the MDS which it did but I didn't notice anything else. I'd have been pretty upset if I bought it with hopes of any gains. I did however work with a guy who had an sxt and he did tune it and sold it (tuner) because he noticed no difference either.

I was only offering my own experience with the v6, which couldn't even break the tires loose without rain and brake torquing. My RT would break the tires loose going into 2nd gear. So in my opinion, having both, they were in no way whatsoever comparable. Just like my current 392 is not comparable to my RT.

If you're feeling great gains from exhaust and a cone filter, cool. I felt nothing. Without a dyno, seat of your pants gains can easily happen when you're wanting it especially after spending a grand. Which is why I likened it to a placebo effect. I can't personally speak to the tuner on a v6 though.

The thread was on CHEAP power. $2k + for exhaust/ intake/ tuner to get half a second gain on the 0-60 doesn't seem all that cheap or worth it, nor do I think your gonna notice half a second without that timer telling you it's happening. Half a second can happen between pavement/ tire condition and 2 different drivers.

Again though, it's just my opinion. Everybody gets to have their own, so it's all good. :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts