Dodge Challenger Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2009 Dodge Challenger RT Speed manual
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings.
I need help to get the best exhaust that will have a deep and aggressive sound without drone for a Dodge Challenger RT 6 speed manual 5.7 L. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
464 Posts
Magnaflow X-mod with straight pipes installed.

System is well thought out and beautifully assembled. I really like how it sounds on my Scat Pack. Only drone I get is low RPM in Sport mode (ie: exhaust flappers open) - why be in Sport mode if I am not on the throttle! It is actually pretty mellow cruising around, just enough to know something is there, but not enough to be obnoxious. Until I stomp on it, then my presence is known! I do not get drone at highway speeds - a problem I have experienced in other vehicles with aftermarket exhaust systems.

I will admit I enjoy windows down and flooring the pedal going through an underpass. It is really loud! And the cold start 'bark' brings a smile to my face every time.

Downsides: Fitment was a problem. I was a first adopter and maybe they have updated the kit since then. And post-sale customer support does not align with the premium price this kit carries. That story should floating around this site somewhere, so I won't repeat it here.

·
Registered
2009 Dodge Challenger RT Speed manual
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Vehicle Car Grille Automotive lighting Hood

Magnaflow X-mod with straight pipes installed.

System is well thought out and beautifully assembled. I really like how it sounds on my Scat Pack. Only drone I get is low RPM in Sport mode (ie: exhaust flappers open) - why be in Sport mode if I am not on the throttle! It is actually pretty mellow cruising around, just enough to know something is there, but not enough to be obnoxious. Until I stomp on it, then my presence is known! I do not get drone at highway speeds - a problem I have experienced in other vehicles with aftermarket exhaust systems.

I will admit I enjoy windows down and flooring the pedal going through an underpass. It is really loud! And the cold start 'bark' brings a smile to my face every time.

Downsides: Fitment was a problem. I was a first adopter and maybe they have updated the kit since then. And post-sale customer support does not align with the premium price this kit carries. That story should floating around this site somewhere, so I won't repeat it here.
Thank you. Any sound clips of your exhaust?

·
Registered
2013 PlumCrazy R/T
1,922 Posts
Their is no best sound is personal preferance. You have the 6 speed their is a lot less problems with drone with 6 speed. I love my Hurst Elite.

Reactions: Johnnyreb

·
Registered
3,387 Posts
No one should recommend until you mention your year. Seems to be a 2008.
I know more more about what not to do.
Do not hack off your muffler (muffler delete).
Do not hack off your resonator (resonator delete).
Do not pay $2,000.00 for a Corsa Extreme exhaust system (sounds the same as the exhaust you have now with less drone), It's like driving a sewing machine.
Your profile shows you have headers.

·
Registered
3,387 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,561 Posts
There is a lot of info on the forum about exhausts. Look the threads up and then make your best informed decision.

·
Registered
2011 SXT Pw7 Bright White Challenger
3,864 Posts
Go to a local Car Meet with other Mopar Owners and listen for self in person no sound clips online do Justice unless its a Surround Recording and your listening to a
good set of Headphones or High End Speakers. Also if they run a CAI it will change the tone a bit of the Exhaust.... Best to hear in person though never had a
audio clip online are not always great to go by.

·
Premium Member
2015 R/T 5.7L A8
4,672 Posts
MODS LIST!

Magnasum Super Charger
Kooks Long Tube Headers
Mid Muffler Delete
Mcleod 1200 HP clutch
Alky Control Methanol injection kit
LED Headlights, under car and wheel lights
Seems like you already have a start with the Kooks Long Tube headers, but what about Cats?

So my question is, do they end up with a stock Cat Back Connection point and what size pipes to connect to?

·
Registered
3,387 Posts
Go to a local Car Meet with other Mopar Owners and listen for self in person no sound clips online do Justice unless its a Surround Recording and your listening to a
good set of Headphones or High End Speakers. Also if they run a CAI it will change the tone a bit of the Exhaust.... Best to hear in person though never had a
audio clip online are not always great to go by.
And as I mentioned, listen to the correct year.

·
Registered
2011 Challenger R/T Classic
243 Posts
I suppose "drone" is subjective. My car had a $1,500 Borla Touring exhaust kit on it when I bought it, and it still had drone on the highway that was annoying. Those are advertised as being "drone free" exhaust kits which allegedly is why they cost so much, but it certainly was NOT drone free.

So, since the car had drone anyway I chopped off the mufflers. Now I have 2 cats and then nothing but straight pipe all the way out to the tips. Sounds like heaven. Driving through town is amazing now. It's finally a muscle car. Runs like a scalded dog now too. Clipped off a 5.00 0-60 on the dash which I had never been able to do previously.

·
Registered
3,387 Posts
I suppose "drone" is subjective. My car had a $1,500 Borla Touring exhaust kit on it when I bought it, and it still had drone on the highway that was annoying. Those are advertised as being "drone free" exhaust kits which allegedly is why they cost so much, but it certainly was NOT drone free.

So, since the car had drone anyway I chopped off the mufflers. Now I have 2 cats and then nothing but straight pipe all the way out to the tips. Sounds like heaven. Driving through town is amazing now. It's finally a muscle car. Runs like a scalded dog now too. Clipped off a 5.00 0-60 on the dash which I had never been able to do previously.
I think Corsa is advertised as drone free not Brola, right?
Drone has a bad name. When I ride my Indian or my T/A I want loud. I just like it. I bought Corsa because I was afraid of the dreaded Drone. Well I learned the hard way, drone was my friend. No one complained about drone in the 60's/70's.

·
Registered
464 Posts
...Thank you. Any sound clips of your exhaust?
Cold start, just for you. It is A LOT more mellow after it settles down, and a restart (warm start) is not nearly as loud.

I recommend listening to it on something with decent speakers and maybe a subwoofer. Trying to judge the sound off PC speakers won't give you an accurate impression.

·
Premium Member
2015 R/T 5.7L A8
4,672 Posts
SOLO Performance drone cancelling works, no ifs, ands, or buts!
And does not compromise performance at all.

You asked for sound clip earlier so I'm giving you this from a 5.7L Charger, because the SOLO Charger exhaust comes with an H pipe crossover not the X pipe.

I called SOLO and asked them if they would build the Charger exhaust to fit my 2015 Challenger because the exhaust hangers on the Challenger changed location in 2015, and they said yes they would do that for me and they did.

The reason I was after the H pipe crossover is I had been running the Magnaflow which uses an X pipe and the X pipe crossover has a higher tone pitch, sounding like a European V8, which is fine if that is what you want, but the X pipe also has additional muffling by itself and I did not want that, because it adds back pressure and hurts performance.

The only way you'll know that statement is true is to have run both which I have, there is no way I would go back to the Magnaflow, but you'll have to make your own choices.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts