Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Everyone !
Where is the best place someone can sell a 1970 Challenger R/T? This is a show car ... I am a Mopar fan and have had a '73 Cuda and 70 Challenger in the past. The owner of the company I am the GM for wants to sell his and I'm helping out ! I would appreciate any advice you can offer !
Thanks !

·
Registered
573 Posts
Definitely not in an auction (Barret Jackson, Mecham, etc.) unless the owner doesn't care about losing his shirt. Auctions do well for rare survivor cars, but not so well for restorations or resto-mods.

"Show Car" could mean a bunch of things from full concourse restoration, to resto-mod to untouched survivor to a normal car with a shiny paint job. The term show car is also subjective since one person's view of a show car could be totally opposite of another person's view. Pictures would help.

"If" it's a concourse restoration or even a very nicely done resto-mod, then if it were me, I'd would find someone within close proximity to me who knows about classic cars and only deals in classic cars (not one of these places that sells new vehicles and has some classics sitting in the corner cause those folks don't understand the market) and I would see if they have a consignment program, or a lot of times they maintain a list of people looking for vehicles, or maybe they want to buy the car outright.

Word of mouth helps, if its indeed a show car, putting a for sale sign on it at numerous car shows could work too.

Make sure the seller knows however, that unless this is a super clean survivor, he will most likely not get anything close to the full amount he has invested in it. Buyers don't care that the seller over-invested in the car.

Unfortunately people still view classic cars as investments which they are to a limited extend based on actual value, but if you put huge money into a restoration you're only going to get what the classic car value guides (Hagerty price guide, etc.) dictate. I have a friend who sunk close to $80K into a 67 camaro restoration (a true "show car") a few years ago (keep in mind this was a base coupe, not a SS or RS, or SS/RS) and he was disappointed this year when he went to sell it and was getting offers of $35K tops. Guess what, the value guide had it in the $30K-$40K range.

Good luck

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
I've sold a car on classyauto.com, depending on the package you buy it places your vehicle in many magazines and on multiple websites.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts