Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
More Than Just A Car
20,520 Posts
So far it looks like the feature will be available in Australia or Korea ..

A number of arguments have already been raised about the new technology including safety, legality and reliability. It's a neat idea, if it really works, but to many questions for me....how does it know there is a camera up ahead? if it senses it, then it's illegal in most places, if it goes by history then potentially it could always be slowing you down, how does it update if the speed changes on the road due to construction or new playground zone. No thanks ....something tells me it will be a pain and I would end up just shutting it off, I'll continue to take my chances.

·
Mopartial to Challengers
2013 Dodge Challenger R/T Classic
9,672 Posts
If it relies on a database of known speed camera locations, it might more annoying than helpful. For anyone who's ever used the free apps from photoenforced or trapster, the database relies on contributions from users who are not always correct when they enter suspected camera locations. And the database is rarely cleaned up. I used photoenforced for a while but even with a lot of crap filtered out, the damned thing still beeped too relentlessly for me to want to use it. When I used it last year while I lived in Escondido, it continued to identify intersection red light cameras even though the city of Escondido discontinued them a year earlier.

·
Registered
801 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I think they should open up some interstate like in Germany, no speed limit. that way the muscle guys can play, and the 90 year olds can stay off.

·
Administrator
2016 Challenger Scat Pack Shaker
53,555 Posts
I think they should open up some interstate like in Germany, no speed limit. that way the muscle guys can play, and the 90 year olds can stay off.
Only if they make you take the German drivers license exam, to drive on it.

·
801 RWHP
8,513 Posts
The Autobahn has speed limits. Actually most of it does. Not much of it left that doesn't. Also think about this. How many people would you want doing 110MPH or even better. Most people have no idea what that is like. At 140 or better you have to see something happen a long way off if you're gonna slow down/stop in time. Scary to think how bad drivers already are. Now jack up their speed by about 50mph. Im not getting on that road.

·
Registered
19 Posts
So far it looks like the feature will be available in Australia or Korea ..

A number of arguments have already been raised about the new technology including safety, legality and reliability. It's a neat idea, if it really works, but to many questions for me....how does it know there is a camera up ahead? if it senses it, then it's illegal in most places, if it goes by history then potentially it could always be slowing you down, how does it update if the speed changes on the road due to construction or new playground zone. No thanks ....something tells me it will be a pain and I would end up just shutting it off, I'll continue to take my chances.
Yeah, there are some speed cameras in different states which are only active in school zones at certain times of the day. If it's going off history or a database of info, I'd hate to be cruising along on a road where everyone else is going 40 because school isn't in session, and have my car fighting against my will to slow me down because it thinks a camera might be activated.

I've gotten a speed camera ticket once. It was not marked and on a road I'd driven all my life. I went away to college, came back, and cruised right through the speed camera. Lesson learned. If my car was purposely bringing me to a stop even once when it shouldn't have I would find it 500 times more annoying than the 50 dollar ticket with no points on my license I received from the state of Maryland. :4-dontknow:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts