Dodge Challenger Forum banner
221 - 240 of 280 Posts

·
Premium Member
2015 R/T 5.7L A8
4,903 Posts
Discussion Starter · #221 ·
Going back to this threads beginning, I wanted to personally Thank Each and Everyone of you that gave tips, and suggestions, some I used and some I didn't but I am Thankful for all of them as they helped me get it all together mentally. Even the sideline popcorn participants helped in breaking the monotony of the project length.

As a retired master carpenter, I have accomplished some amazing things in my working career, but I was trained to do those things, the mechanical ability I have that allowed this to happen, is a natural gift from God!

So Thank God!, and All of You! :) Ry

·
Registered
2014 Boosted 392 Stroker Shaker
5,222 Posts
The supercharger driving experience vs the stock naturally aspirated is so different because the additional power from the supercharger is always there, how much power depends on how far you push the accelerator pedal. I honestly do not mean for every stop light leave to be an open challenge to the other drivers, but unless I baby pedal it off the line, that is exactly what happens. For some reason the Challenger itself comes across aggressive, especially to the considered muscle cars, but also to many of the lighter foreign cars.

If you leave the light aggressive they will break every law in the book just to catch up to you and pass you even if you are mildly over the speed limit, as they have to break the law just to catch up and close the gap and I'm only referring to a half throttle leave, then leveling off about 5mph over the posted speed, not flooring it.
I'm always ahead when I leave a stop light without getting on it at all, and I never go over the posted speed limit. All sorts of crap cars catch and pass me for no good reason. It drove my wife crazy until I had her drive the Shaker after I stroked it, and it was already boosted.

·
Premium Member
2015 R/T 5.7L A8
4,903 Posts
Discussion Starter · #223 ·
I'm always ahead when I leave a stop light without getting on it at all, and I never go over the posted speed limit. All sorts of crap cars catch and pass me for no good reason. It drove my wife crazy until I had her drive the Shaker after I stroked it, and it was already boosted.
For an over 4200lb car, even with moderate acceleration, you can feel the additional supercharger power, and it just walks away from a red light or stop sign. Putting it to the floor is truly unleashing a beast, and the Adrenalin rush is a heart pumping festival! :)

I am very conservative with these acceleration experiences as it definitely uses more fuel, but it is truly worth it! Ry

·
Registered
☆VIOLEnT☆
938 Posts
OK I'm not gonna say I'm jealous... so I'm envious :LOL:
I don't know... I'd love to be able to add to mine. But I'm afraid I'd be like Rockefeller when they asked him how much money was enough...
"Just a little bit more"

;):devilish:

·
Premium Member
2015 R/T 5.7L A8
4,903 Posts
Discussion Starter · #225 ·
OK I'm not gonna say I'm jealous... so I'm envious :LOL:
I don't know... I'd love to be able to add to mine. But I'm afraid I'd be like Rockefeller when they asked him how much money was enough...
"Just a little bit more"

;):devilish:
The supercharger has cost me 8mpg vs the naturally aspirated make sure you figure that into the equation, not joking either.

·
Premium Member
2015 R/T 5.7L A8
4,903 Posts
Discussion Starter · #226 ·
However it is still not as bad as my 1976 Chevy Scottsdale truck, 350ci engine, High Rise Intake, Holley 4bbl, Long tube Headers, 411 posi rear end, Transmission Shift Kit, Thrush Glass Packed Mufflers. That was the only vehicle I ever owned that the top speed was a little over 100mph, but it would get there so fast and violently it would blow your mind! It was also the vehicle in that 100mph run, that you could actually see the gas needle drop.

·
Registered
2014 Boosted 392 Stroker Shaker
5,222 Posts
The supercharger has cost me 8mpg vs the naturally aspirated make sure you figure that into the equation, not joking either.
That means that you are either getting on it too hard, or the by-pass is broken. It is a Magnuson, isn't it?

• Helpful
Reactions: RyzRT and Thumper

·
Premium Member
2015 R/T 5.7L A8
4,903 Posts
Discussion Starter · #229 ·
Something isn’t right. I saw almost zero change in mpg on the 5.7 and the 6.4, unless you’re driving around with your foot in it all the time.
Thanks Pat, I was initially driving with my foot in it a lot in the beginning, but maybe it will get better when it is data logged tuned, otherwise I am checking to be sure the bypass is not partially engaging. But even if it stays exactly like it is and engages earlier than it should, I can live with it, just won't be making long trips with it, but that is why we have the V6.

Reactions: Thumper

·
Premium Member
2015 R/T 5.7L A8
4,903 Posts
Discussion Starter · #230 ·
That means that you are either getting on it too hard, or the by-pass is broken. It is a Magnuson, isn't it?
Yeah Thanks, I am investigating the bypass operation and make sure it is properly adjusted.

·
Registered
2012 Challenger R/T plus, 6spd
147 Posts
I seem to remember that you have a diablo trinity...I would plug it in and do some live data/gauge monitoring. I am assuming you can select a vacuum/boost gauge.

on a long trip, under 2k rpm you should see almost stock mpg. when driving on a 90min trip I can almost everytime get my mpg to go from 17.5ish to easily 20-21ish. However, I will often see a .2 mpg drop everytime I mat it from 2500 rpm to 6k rpm

I think it is just your driving style right now because it is brand new, SMILES/gal are through the roof!

Reactions: RyzRT and Thumper

·
Mopartial to Challengers
2015 SRT Hellcat
11,326 Posts
For an over 4200lb car, even with moderate acceleration, you can feel the additional supercharger power, and it just walks away from a red light or stop sign. Putting it to the floor is truly unleashing a beast, and the Adrenalin rush is a heart pumping festival! :)

I am very conservative with these acceleration experiences as it definitely uses more fuel, but it is truly worth it! Ry
The supercharger whine is an instant addiction!

·
Premium Member
2015 R/T 5.7L A8
4,903 Posts
Discussion Starter · #234 ·
I seem to remember that you have a diablo trinity...I would plug it in and do some live data/gauge monitoring. I am assuming you can select a vacuum/boost gauge.

on a long trip, under 2k rpm you should see almost stock mpg. when driving on a 90min trip I can almost everytime get my mpg to go from 17.5ish to easily 20-21ish. However, I will often see a .2 mpg drop everytime I mat it from 2500 rpm to 6k rpm

I think it is just your driving style right now because it is brand new, SMILES/gal are through the roof!
I don't have the Trinity I have the Intune 3 Platinum, I contacted Magnuson and honestly I wasn't expecting a response since I bought the Magnuson used and not brand new from them, but to my surprise they responded. They said from all the information I had given them the Bypass was working properly, they asked me to confirm the metering orifice had not been removed and it has not. So they said the only thing was if the tune was off that could 100% be the reason for the lost mileage. So I'll have to data log and get the tune, fine tuned.

·
Premium Member
2015 R/T 5.7L A8
4,903 Posts
Discussion Starter · #236 ·
The supercharger whine is an instant addiction!
John, the whine can be heard until it is seriously boosting then the exhaust gets a lot louder and you cannot hear the supercharger whine anymore, as it is drowned out by the exhaust.

But it is a cool sounding whine though! :) (y)

·
Registered
2012 Challenger R/T plus, 6spd
147 Posts
Well, I daily drive mine and its a manual. Most of the time, there is no room to smash the loud pedal. So my driving style has changed over the years. 9/10 times I am short shifting from 1st to 3rd or shifting in the 1800-2200 rpm range. I use cruise control a lot on my commutes, the idea being to keep vacuum high so the bypass stays open.

As an example, on my way into work today, I did not hit WOT once.

Shameful, I know, but I can blip the throttle and down shift into 3rd to pass just about anybody I want.:cool:

·
Premium Member
2015 R/T 5.7L A8
4,903 Posts
Discussion Starter · #238 ·
I usually do 0 ~ 60s by myself but tonight my wife was with me and we used the entrance ramp to the interstate, no practicing, coast was clear no traffic, it did spin off the line, and still ran a 4.6 time, full tank of gas, and junk in the trunk. (y)

·
Premium Member
2015 sxt/rt 5.7 with scat pack kits 1 &2
3,092 Posts
I usually do 0 ~ 60s by myself but tonight my wife was with me and we used the entrance ramp to the interstate, no practicing, coast was clear no traffic, it did spin off the line, and still ran a 4.6 time, full tank of gas, and junk in the trunk. (y)
a proper diet will help with the junk in the trunk ;):D

• Haha
Reactions: Gila Hemi and RyzRT
221 - 240 of 280 Posts