Dodge Challenger Forum banner
61 - 80 of 108 Posts

·
Premium Member
2015 R/T 5.7L A8
4,511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #61 ·
Yes...please document and take photos...especially when you blow out the head gaskets and have water running down your engine block into the driveway. Don't forget the water in the oil pan and the dirty gummy dipstick, which is always fun.

Ha ha...Just kidding. Good luck.
I will take photos once the installation begins, and even if I blow it up, just for your entertainment! :)

·
Mopartial to Challengers
2015 SRT Hellcat
11,167 Posts
Thank You, But your suggestion is actually 3 steps colder for much higher boost 16lbs or Nitrous. :rolleyes:
Keep in mind I'm living vicariously through your supercharger build since I didn't get to do it on my R/T. I double-dawg dare you to go 3 steps colder. LOL!
Are you staying at 8 lbs boost?

·
Premium Member
2015 R/T 5.7L A8
4,511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #63 ·
Keep in mind I'm living vicariously through your supercharger build since I didn't get to do it on my R/T. I double-dawg dare you to go 3 steps colder. LOL!
Are you staying at 8 lbs boost?
I double-dawg dare you to go 3 steps colder. ?

You are beginning to make me regret posting this thread, I should have been like many others and just showed a picture of the end results!

For the record my 5.7, on the street right now can whip your Hellcat from stop light to stop light so bad you'd be crying going back home, and I am not joking!

So I don't need any more boost than 6psi to what I have right now.

🤬
FYI;

The Magnuson 5.7L kit comes with a 6lb boost pulley, not 8lbs. Why?
So it can be installed on a completely stock engine, it does not come with any additional fuel pump, because the 6lbs of boost does not need the added fuel pressure.
Since my 5.7 already has over 76,000 miles on the engine, I am staying with the 6lbs boost.

How does it feel?

ROFLMAO 🤣

Reactions: HemiMetal

·
Registered
871 Posts
You are beginning to make me regret posting this thread, I should have been like many others and just showed a picture of the end results!
:LOL:

Here is a post AFTER you do the work: "HEY! Good Job, dude!"
Sky Plant Cloud Tire Car

Here is everyone before you start: "Did you think about maybe doing this?....."
Vehicle Product Motor vehicle Car Community

·
Premium Member
2015 R/T 5.7L A8
4,511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #65 ·
@Duh Bears

You Got That Right!

Although some tips and suggestions are useful and viable, you still have to weed through it all. :)

Reactions: Duh Bears

·
Registered
2014 Boosted 392 Stroker Shaker
4,941 Posts
I double-dawg dare you to go 3 steps colder. ?

For the record my 5.7, on the street right now can whip your Hellcat from stop light to stop light so bad you'd be crying going back home, and I am not joking!

So I don't need any more boost than 6psi to what I have right now.

🤬
FYI;

The Magnuson 5.7L kit comes with a 6lb boost pulley, not 8lbs. Why?
So it can be installed on a completely stock engine, it does not come with any additional fuel pump, because the 6lbs of boost does not need the added fuel pressure.
Since my 5.7 already has over 76,000 miles on the engine, I am staying with the 6lbs boost.

How does it feel?

ROFLMAO 🤣
Ask Luke at Steve White about this. BTW, I don't know of any Maguson kit that comes with a fuel pump.

·
Registered
4,779 Posts
I have owned a few magnachargers, one tip that will help. Go to lowes if you have one and buy 4 of the longest 10mm bolts you can find, I got 4” ones and cut the heads off. Install them hand tight into the heads at the 4 corners. This will allow you to lower the supercharger down and keep it aligned. One thing I haven’t seen mentioned is your IAT sensor extension harness, hope it came with the used magnacharger. Good luck.

·
Premium Member
2015 R/T 5.7L A8
4,511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #71 ·
Update, Have my start up tune now, waiting on missing necessities getting here from shipping.

·
Registered
2012 Challenger R/T plus, 6spd
115 Posts
Ask Luke at Steve White about this. BTW, I don't know of any Maguson kit that comes with a fuel pump.
Kit straight from Magnuson, no. But a 8lb kit from Arrington will come with upgraded injectors (over what come in the 6lb kit) and a new fuel pump. Arrington, as a Magnuson dealer is able to modify the standard Maggie packages.

I have almost 80K on my stock 5.7 with a 6lb pulley on stock fuel pump and still going strong. I am making 500rwhp at 6300rpm on a custom tune. Ry is going to be fine with his stock engine and surrounding parts. If you think about it, I am only at 392 power range maybe a little more. Dodge does not have different part numbers for some of these supporting systems.

·
Premium Member
2015 R/T 5.7L A8
4,511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #73 ·
I have owned a few magnachargers, one tip that will help. Go to lowes if you have one and buy 4 of the longest 10mm bolts you can find, I got 4” ones and cut the heads off. Install them hand tight into the heads at the 4 corners. This will allow you to lower the supercharger down and keep it aligned. One thing I haven’t seen mentioned is your IAT sensor extension harness, hope it came with the used magnacharger. Good luck.
Thanks, That is a great tip!
As far as the IAT I am just going to solder in some wires and extend it that way.

Reactions: Johnnyreb

·
Registered
62 Posts
I have researched and drooled and dreamed of installing a supercharger on my 5.7L R/T aka., Black Beauty, for 4 years now. I was getting close, when Covid struck, and the country went through the shutdown and my dreams crashed on the rocks.

Because the prices of superchargers almost all of them increased in price over $1K+, which caused me to just give up the dream of getting one of them.

However something has changed, and that is doc440 has sold me his used Magnuson supercharger, which I now have on hand, so Black Beauty will get her supercharger.

I am writing this now as HemiMetal has asked me to document the installation, but I am very bad at remembering to take pictures along the way, so this will hopefully keep me in mind to do so?

There are things I am having to acquire besides the supercharger itself to be able to install, and since I have over 76,000 miles on my engine I am at the same time going to replace the water pump since I am dropping the coolant anyway.

Once I have everything I need, I'll begin.

AnyHoo Stay Tuned! Ry
Be Careful as the drive train.. 5.7 may not be able to handle that power.. If it was a Hellkat, they are built fo that power.

·
Premium Member
2015 R/T 5.7L A8
4,511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #75 ·
Be Careful as the drive train.. 5.7 may not be able to handle that power.. If it was a Hellkat, they are built fo that power.
Well the 392 Scat Packs 485hp runs the exact same transmission that the 5.7L does the 8HP70 which is rated at handling past the 485hp numbers, so should be OK there. I am running the Hellcat 3.09 Limited Slip Differential, which handles in excess of 700hp. I am also running a one piece 4" Aluminum driveshaft rated at over 1,000hp, so I should be good to go?

·
Registered
2012 Challenger R/T plus, 6spd
115 Posts
I think you will, easily.

Reactions: RyzRT

·
Registered
☆VIOLEnT☆
781 Posts
Anxiously waiting Ry....

Reactions: RyzRT

·
Premium Member
2015 R/T 5.7L A8
4,511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #78 ·
Last delivery supposedly Thursday August 11, It takes so long to get some items these days.

Reactions: Thumper

·
Registered
☆VIOLEnT☆
781 Posts
If you don't mind me asking Ry, what do you anticipate the all in cost to be for this project?

61 - 80 of 108 Posts