Dodge Challenger Forum banner
81 - 100 of 108 Posts

·
Premium Member
2015 R/T 5.7L A8
4,511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #81 · (Edited)
Question for actual 5.7L Magnuson Supercharger owners and users, or any top mounted brand Supercharger for the 5.7L.

The supercharger uses the SRT 6.1L HEMI intake gaskets, not the 5.7L gaskets.

The question is; Since the 6.1L was a naturally aspirated intake manifold are the OEM Mopar replacement 6.1L intake gaskets sufficient to handle the increased manifold pressure from the supercharger?

Or is there a better brand of higher performance 6.1L intake gaskets that should be used on a supercharger installation?

The Mopar OEM look identical to the FelPro, I wonder if FelPro actually makes the Mopar OEM?

Edit: The Edelbrock gaskets also look identical to the Mopar and FelPro gaskets.

·
Registered
2013 PlumCrazy R/T
1,890 Posts
So If you are going to replace timing chain? And you have to pull the intake and arr getting a new tune anyways. Why not throw a blower cam in it?

·
Premium Member
2015 R/T 5.7L A8
4,511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #83 · (Edited)
So If you are going to replace timing chain? And you have to pull the intake and arr getting a new tune anyways. Why not throw a blower cam in it?
I am not replacing the timing chain, I am replacing the water pump?

Which by the way, was already covered in an earlier post.

A blower cam would violate my intentions of an all bolt on performance gains goal.

·
Premium Member
2015 R/T 5.7L A8
4,511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #84 ·
Honestly guys, If i took everyone's suggestions, I would never get done with this project!

Although there are many great suggestions, I have to sort through them with a grain of salt and be realistic.

I do not have an endless supply of money to put into this, as I am retired, and on a fixed income.

I am also not a professional mechanic, I have extremely high mechanical skills, but I have to really research and study for everything I do, and have done, to my Challenger. Ry

·
Registered
☆VIOLEnT☆
781 Posts
I keep thinking maybe soon I'll retire so I can have the time to work on mine. But if I retire I won't have the moolah to do what I want with it. Right now I'm working all the time trying to pay it off...

August 11th is to long to wait Ry. We want progress pics now bro... ;)
Just go ahead and start on it now, then you'll be that much ahead when the brown truck comes.

·
Premium Member
2015 R/T 5.7L A8
4,511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #87 ·
I keep thinking maybe soon I'll retire so I can have the time to work on mine. But if I retire I won't have the moolah to do what I want with it. Right now I'm working all the time trying to pay it off...

August 11th is to long to wait Ry. We want progress pics now bro... ;)
Just go ahead and start on it now, then you'll be that much ahead when the brown truck comes.
I drive it regularly so I won't be shutting it down while I am still waiting on something that has been ordered, if you think the suspense is bad for you how about me, I cannot wait to get started! :)

Originally I was not going to even start this thread until I had everything, but I figured I could glean information on things I may have overlooked.

·
Registered
☆VIOLEnT☆
781 Posts
Yeah I was just joking. I'm just a mod nerd I guess...

Reactions: RyzRT

·
Registered
2014 Boosted 392 Stroker Shaker
4,941 Posts
Question for actual 5.7L Magnuson Supercharger owners and users, or any top mounted brand Supercharger for the 5.7L.

The question is; Since the 6.1L was a naturally aspirated intake manifold are the OEM Mopar replacement 6.1L intake gaskets sufficient to handle the increased manifold pressure from the supercharger?

Or is there a better brand of higher performance 6.1L intake gaskets that should be used on a supercharger installation?

The Mopar OEM look identical to the FelPro, I wonder if FelPro actually makes the Mopar OEM?

Edit: The Edelbrock gaskets also look identical to the Mopar and FelPro gaskets.
I don't have any idea. My Magnuson came with everything except the fuel pump. Just to tickle your mod monkey, I also installed a Fluidyne aluminum radiator to stay ahead of the possible future problem curve...

·
Premium Member
2015 R/T 5.7L A8
4,511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #90 ·
I don't have any idea. My Magnuson came with everything except the fuel pump. Just to tickle your mod monkey, I also installed a Fluidyne aluminum radiator to stay ahead of the possible future problem curve...
Got a link to that?

·
Registered
2014 Boosted 392 Stroker Shaker
4,941 Posts
Reactions: RyzRT

·
Premium Member
2015 R/T 5.7L A8
4,511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #92 ·
Good morning ForumZ, getting an early start to the day as I could not sleep because of mentally solving supercharger installation problems while trying to sleep, so I figured I may as well just go ahead and get up and start the day early. :)

Anytime I have something to do that is complicated my mind goes over it like a broken record, over and over trying to resolve problems I may encounter, this is not a bad thing because in the past it has helped me so many times in being prepared for the possible outcomes.

I hope all of you have a great day today, I am on my first cup of coffee! (y)

·
Registered
2016 Challenger RT Blackout Edition
418 Posts
Good morning ForumZ, getting an early start to the day as I could not sleep because of mentally solving supercharger installation problems while trying to sleep, so I figured I may as well just go ahead and get up and start the day early. :)

Anytime I have something to do that is complicated my mind goes over it like a broken record, over and over trying to resolve problems I may encounter, this is not a bad thing because in the past it has helped me so many times in being prepared for the possible outcomes.

I hope all of you have a great day today, I am on my first cup of coffee! (y)
You have a great day as well, Ry! Can't wait to see this whole process started and documented. I'm making my coffee now. Happy Saturday to everyone else too!

·
Registered
☆VIOLEnT☆
781 Posts
Top of the morning to you Ry! Been up for 50 minutes, just finished my first joe, bout to head into work. Something I do literally every day lol.
Hope you have a great day my friend!

Reactions: Johnnyreb and RyzRT

·
Registered
☆VIOLEnT☆
781 Posts
I do the same thing. My wife thinks I'm obsessed, but it's just planning before hand. Can't wait to see the progress!

Reactions: HemiMetal and RyzRT

·
Premium Member
2015 R/T 5.7L A8
4,511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #96 ·
Seeing as how all the top mounted superchargers on the 5.7L engine require 6.1L intake manifold gaskets, I was curious to find out as much as I could regarding the 6.1L HEMI engine. In my research for the first time I found some interesting information regarding coil packs and their possible responsibility along with spark plugs of an engine misfire. This article was the first time I saw any suggestions at all of replacing coil packs! I know back when I replaced mine the engine ran smoother, so I know they are not operating at 100% after a certain amount of run time. Anyway if you are interested read this.

https://dustrunnersauto.com/dodge-hemi-6-1l/

Reactions: Thumper

·
Premium Member
2015 R/T 5.7L A8
4,511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #97 ·
You have a great day as well, Ry! Can't wait to see this whole process started and documented. I'm making my coffee now. Happy Saturday to everyone else too!
Morning Dave! I hope you have a great day!

Reactions: CaptScat345

·
Registered
214 Posts

I remember reading somewhere that the 6.1 gaskets used in this application are good for well over 12psi of boost. No issues.

·
Premium Member
2015 R/T 5.7L A8
4,511 Posts
Discussion Starter · #99 ·
I remember reading somewhere that the 6.1 gaskets used in this application are good for well over 12psi of boost. No issues.
Pat, Edelbrock suggested a type of sealant used on the metal surfaces, with their supercharger but I don't remember seeing that suggested with the Mugnuson installation did you use a sealant?

81 - 100 of 108 Posts