Dodge Challenger Forum banner

Blastin Bobs and the 6.4

6K views 21 replies 12 participants last post by  Flatlandschallenger 
#1 ·
Hello, I was wondering if the Blastin Bobs crew has any products or plans for the 6.4 exhaust? I have the resonator deleted on my 5.7 and it sounds awesome.. I have ordered a 16' Scat Pack and would like to do a resonator delete on it as well... Thanks!!!

#3 ·
Yeah I'd hold off on that, see how you like the stock exhaust. It sounds awesome right from the factory. Deep rumble at idle, very loud at WOT.

I've heard guys who want a little more volume just delete the mufflers and leave the resonators in place to increase the sound but keep the drone to a minimum. The resonators are much smaller on these cars than they were on the older R/T's.

Me personally, I plan to do nothing to my exhaust, it sounds so awesome as it is I'd hate to screw with it.

#4 ·
There has been SOOOO much controversy over the 6 years I've been here on the Z about what the mufflers are and what the resonators are on the Challengers with even professional muffler shops getting it wrong way too often. But on the older Challengers...it really wasn't that hard to say if you looked at cut open stock mufflers VRS the resonators inside plumbing. The mufflers first in the exhaust stream where pretty much a straight through design that where just to reduce sound some. The resonators at the back of the car where a rather large....and heavy...chambered design that in essence made the exhaust flow do a figure S to get out the exhaust tips and by design changed the frequency...or resonance...of the exhaust note to avoid the inherent drone for the auto cars. On the new exhaust system on the 392's....drone is much less controlled by the "resonators". It appears to me that instead the redesign of the entire exhaust system as a whole is more of how the drone is being handled now than by the rear "resonators". The new resonators are NOTHING like the old ones and are instead just some small straight through mufflers to further control sound volume more so than to control drone although I'm sure to some small degree they still help some with that. In short what I'm trying to say is the old style resonators where very true to the dictionary definition....the new ones on the 392's.....not so much.

#5 ·
I agree with the other comments....save your money and wait until you have your new SP for awhile to see how you like the stock exhaust. I have been back and forth contemplating switching the mid mufflers but find myself deciding to leave it stock because I think it sounds great. The dealer told me once you get past 3000 miles, the exhaust gets even better (we'll see since I'm getting close).

Attached is a video taken at Beaver springs a few weeks ago that you can really hear the exhaust growl (after the red car is out of the frame - big time red light!) Hope this helps your decision.

Reactions: cdahl383
#6 ·
Here's a crummy video from my wife's phone of my car going down the track by myself. This was my 11.96 pass, of course she didn't get the time at the end! :(

But it gives you a good idea of what the car sounds like at full throttle. It's pretty loud and menacing. Don't mind my daughter yelling at the end either haha!

#10 ·
The stock Scat Pack cars are running within 1 to 1.2 seconds of a Hellcat in the quarter mile. Changing the exhaust for Louder sound will eventually bring Johnny law down on you. Just this past Summer, state cops were positioned down the road from a lot of drive in car shows with db meters and handing out tickets. We can all speculate as to why, but in reality, during the time that you own the car, it could cost more to return things back to normal than the benefit of what you thought you might gain by messing with the exhaust.

-John

#12 ·
Try the dynomax bullets. Somewhere on the forum another member swapped out his stock mufflers for the bullets and was happy with the results. They said it was a little quieter at idle than the factory ones, no drone issues and a little louder a wot.

Reactions: JarheadsChallenger
#16 ·
Scat Pack:cool:

#18 ·
Lol. It's all good. There's no snart asses on this forum.

Reactions: Bee Keeper 16
#22 ·
No. I just meant that this forum is always a place to ask any questions without the fear of someone's smart answer.

#21 ·
I was just being silly and said snart instead of smart.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.