Dodge Challenger Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Well I bit the bullet last Sunday and ordered a set of Blastin Bob's pipes for my 2014 Auto R/T. They were shipped Monday and I got them Thursday.

I went with the GP225CE 2009-14 Dodge Challenger Auto 5.7L 2 1/4" glasspack resonated kit.

This morning I pulled the R/T up on the rhino ramps pulled out my 7" cuttoff wheel, Sockets, tape measure, felt pen and safety equipment.

The cuttoff wheel made short work of stock pipes and it was on a 4" grinder so I had no problems getting all the way through it.

On the passenger side I played it safe and cut it at about 8 1/2" from the bend and then after trying to hang the pipe it would not move over enough to line up the tip so I had to recut it off at the recomended 7 1/4 :)

On the driver side I just marked it with the pen and then held the pipe in place to make sure I had enough room to clamp the bobs in place.

I used a small screw driver to pry the rubber bungs over the head of the hanger and twisted them in one direction and they came right off with no soap needed.

Slipped on the bobs snugged it up set the tips where I wanted them tightened it all up and hit the remote start.

I was very happy with the start up jumped in and went for a bit of a drive.

The sound is definitely deeper and louder I would have liked a bit more but they say they get louder with age so i think In the end it will be just about right. I don't think its quiet enough that I would fork over 1200 bucks on a cat back :) and i was thinking about it before I went the bobs route. I figured I could sell them here if I hated them and only be out 100 bucks and then feel better about the catback

To my ear there is no drone you can definitely hear the exhaust but that's not drone in my mind. It is kind of funky when you put a load on it in 4 cylender mode but I am never in that spot for long lol so no problems for me.

If I decide its not loud enough I will probably just remove the bobs and run it with nothing back there for a few miles to see how it would sound with stright pipes and go from there.

For me the 230 bucks and 90 minutes was well worth it and will keep me happy at least for a while.

I want to thank everyone that chimed in on my past posts and helped me pick the bobs :)

·
Premium Member
39,846 Posts
Nice write-up. Glad they worked out for you!

·
Registered
55 Posts
I ordered this exact same kit and installed it on Saturday. I agree 100% about the drone. Went on a 3 hour round trip and it actually sounded great inside of the car. I had my wife with me and I asked her what she thought and she liked it. It was actually hard to keep my foot off of the accelerator!

·
How fa$$$t do want to go?
9,406 Posts
Glad it worked out for you. I've got the same set-up on mine, and very satisfied. They will get louder as they break in. I initially went with the straight pipes (had them on for three days). The drone actually hurt my ears. Don't waist your time or money on them. Several members swear by the straight pipes, and all of them have the stick shift. The straight pipes just don't seem to work with our automatics.--:4-dontknow:

·
Registered
4,321 Posts
Glad it worked out for you. I've got the same set-up on mine, and very satisfied. They will get louder as they break in. I initially went with the straight pipes (had them on for three days). The drone actually hurt my ears. Don't waist your time or money on them. Several members swear by the straight pipes, and all of them have the stick shift. The straight pipes just don't seem to work with our automatics.--:4-dontknow:

Totally agree. I have the BB straight pipe reso deletes and a 6-speed. The key factor is the resonance frequencies for the dreaded drone occur around 1800-2100 rpm. For 6-speeds, we tach at about 1400 RPM at 60 MPH in 6th gear (under the drone range), whereas my understanding is autos tach higher at highway speeds - right in the drone range. Another factor is autos have a slightly smaller exhaust pipe diameter (2.25" R/T auto versus 2.5" inch R/T stick versus 2.75" for SRTs). The smaller pipe size actually sharpens and enhances the drone tonals. I dont understand the acoustics behind it, however I have stood behind both an auto and a 6-speed with reso deletes at idle and you can hear a slight difference in the tone. I'm told that difference is "mind-numbing" at highway speeds (worse than the drone a 6-speed experiences at the same RPM range). If you have an auto and are contemplating BB straight pipe reso deletes, do yourself a favor and find someone who has them and take a ride before you do the mod. Most folks who have autos and do the mod end up undoing them in favor of perforated glasspacks or leaving the resonators on and modding the mufflers instead. I think Tony (Member = TDJACW) did the latter and was very happy - might want to PM him offline.

Good luck to all!.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Great write up. I have the same kit (GP225CE) and absolutely love it.

Like I posted in your other thread Shady, they will get louder in a few months, I've had mine on about 7 months now and they sound awesome. It's a perfect sound I think, no drone, deep tone, and not obnoxiously loud.

·
Registered
144 Posts
ply67cuda nailed it, the six speed tach lower and sound awesome....... the automatic I drove in with the straight pipes droned and droned at 2000 rpm, unbearable, ...................great write up

on a side note, my 2014 R/T 6 speed has just turned over 500 miles and has gotten louder, under acceleration with stock mufflers and blastin bobs straight pipe kit the sound is wonderful,................. hemi roar

·
Slower Traffic Keep Right
5,522 Posts
IMHO - the Blastin Bobs reso' delete has been the best move I made with this car... Great write up!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Just installed the 2 1/4 auto 4db blastin bobs kit and took some before and after readings with my spl meter. It's obviously louder than 4db at 5 feet from the back center of the car. It really changed the driving experience, the wife says it roars with a big grin.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thought I should add a bit of an update.

at around the 400 mile mark the sound is definitely different then when first installed. I thought I was pretty happy with it but now its even better. It had a slight tinny sound that is now defiantly gone. I did not notice the tinny sound when I installed it but now that its gone it was defiantly there.

its deeper and just a nice fit for the car.

But aint there always a but lol. at just below freeway speeds there is a slight drone my car gets from the 50-55 ish range its not horrible and for my bad ears its fine and I don't slowly accelerate from 50+ so it does not last long enough to bother me. But if you hover around in that range and dont use auto stick to get it to drop down a gear it would get annoying fast.

It still has a funky sound when in 4 cylinder mode and you slowly accelerate again this does not happen often and you can totaly avoid it using autostick or mashing the go peddle and not just baby it.

I am still satisfied with the cost vs a full system for what you get. In my book its still a buy but I would say don't give up on it till you put 500ish miles on it the sound defiantly changes.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.