Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
640 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After a lot of back and forth and research finally I pulled the trigger on an exhaust upgrade and went with the Borla Atak. A little back story before my impressions of the Atak. The back story may help others in the process of getting a new exhaust in their decision making process.

This was my second exhaust mod (and LAST). When I first bought the car I went the money saver route and had 3 inch pipes installed some Flo Pro mufflers added and deleted the resonators for about 300 bucks. It sounded good, but after about a year I thought, I wanted a little more sound. (Not to mention that with the current set up even with a six speed there was some drone from 1800 to 2200 RPMs. Not terrible but there. This in no way is meant to say that a simple reso delete with aftermarket mufflers is a bad way to go. I had it, enjoyed it for a year but found myself wanting more.

I researched a bunch of different kits from SLP to Borla to Corsa to Zoomers etc etc etc. The SLP was just a bit more than what I wanted. The Corsa was just a little to quiet, loved the sound but not quite what I wanted, same thing for the Solo Mach X close but not quite what I wanted either. Came across the Borla Atak and thought That's IT!

Had it installed yesterday and here are my initial impressions.
1) Sounds amazing on start up. Really deep burbling (if that is a word) sound.
2) At idle outside the car it has almost that lope sound you got out of the old muscle cars (impossible to recreate without a carb. but reminds me of it.)
3) In cabin again at idle pretty quiet just a little undercurrent of sound which is really nice.
4) When pressing on the gas it starts to shine. Has a really sweet note as you row through the gears. In cabin it is louder than stock, but not by a lot. It does not drown out conversation or the radio in any way shape or form.
5) At WOT all I can say is Wow.
6) Oddly enough the absolute best sound of all (at least to my ears) is when you are down shifting. If is :sexe: awesome.
7) Performance gains...(Most likely due to the fact I pulled the #2 fuse and might have been losing some low end torque with my previous set up of 3inch pipes) But the car did feel like it pulled a tad better in the lower RPM. Again that may be because it sounded better and my mind was telling me that was pulling harder, but it did feel like it a bit.

And of course the one question/answer everybody is wondering about..
THE DREADED DRONE FACTOR..

Minimal. Some might say none at all. I found one small 'drone zone' right at or about 2000 RPM. It was far less noticeable then what I had in my previous set up. The great thing is you are in and out of the 'drone zone' very quickly. My wife didn't even notice it at all so it may also be me being very picky, and or looking/listening for it. The best part is it does not come into play at cruising speeds.

I cannot say how much I love the sound of this car now.

I am not one to spend other peoples money or to make suggestions on how they spend it but....

If you are in market for a cat back exhaust I would say this. If you want absolutely no drone in the car what so ever you should go with the Corsa and call it a day. If you don't want to spend the coin on a Corsa go with the Solo Mach X. If either of those are not loud enough for you I would strongly strongly strongly recommend the Borla Atak. It made the car feel new again, and reminded me of the first few months of having the car when I found excuses to go driving. I purposely 'forgot' the milk last night so that I could go out and make another run with the car and row through the gears.

Total cost to me with install was about 1400 bucks. Auto Anything has them for about $1250 with with free shipping or you can pay 22 bucks for over night which ain't bad either. The old saying you get what you pay for is very true.

Will try to get some sound clips during the week and post them on Youtube followed with a link here for those that want to check it out. Be patient as I am not tech or computer savvy and it may take me awhile to figure out how to do that.

·
Premium Member
18,449 Posts
Very good write up. :smileup: Sound is very subjective and finding the right system is no easy task.
Glad you found what you were looking for.

·
Registered
640 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
"Sound is very subjective"

I agree 100% on that. That is why I did the research listened to what I could in person and asked those that had certain systems their impressions of those systems. You can spend 1K on a full cat back or less than 100 bucks on a reso delete and be equally happy. Personally the reso delete simply wasn't enough.

Is the Borla Atak for everybody, maybe not, but it is a great sounding system that fit what I was looking for to the T.

On a side note, if you have an automatic and are considering this system I would strongly suggest you contact Borla and ask if they have anything that would help eliminate drone caused by the MDS. The Atak is the same for the auto and manual transmission. I do think however they have something that can be used to limit drone in the Autos. (Don't quote me on that, but I remember reading that somewhere)

·
Premium Member
18,449 Posts
"Sound is very subjective"

I agree 100% on that. That is why I did the research listened to what I could in person and asked those that had certain systems their impressions of those systems. You can spend 1K on a full cat back or less than 100 bucks on a reso delete and be equally happy. Personally the reso delete simply wasn't enough.

Is the Borla Atak for everybody, maybe not, but it is a great sounding system that fit what I was looking for to the T.

On a side note, if you have an automatic and are considering this system I would strongly suggest you contact Borla and ask if they have anything that would help eliminate drone caused by the MDS. The Atak is the same for the auto and manual transmission. I do think however they have something that can be used to limit drone in the Autos. (Don't quote me on that, but I remember reading that somewhere)
From what I've read the 6 speed gives you more leeway when it comes to drone. I spent a lot of time researching exhausts as well and relied heavily on opinions from knowledgeable members here on the Z before deciding on the Corsa extreme.
Given I have the automatic, I didn't want any drone nor did I want a very loud system. Ordered it last week from AutoAnything as well ( great deal ) and am looking forward to having the car sound the way it looks.

·
Registered
640 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Congrats !
Thank you sir.

I know you are a big fan of the Corsa Extreme from previous posts. Had I not gone with the Borla Atak the Corsa Extreme was a really close second. In fact if you are the type of person that is really sensitive to drone I would go with that as the top choice.

·
Registered
640 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
From what I've read the 6 speed gives you more leeway when it comes to drone. I spent a lot of time researching exhausts as well and relied heavily on opinions from knowledgeable members here on the Z before deciding on the Corsa extreme.
Great choice on a couple of levels. The No drone technology is a huge plus especially considering you have the automatic. The Corsa Extreme may not be 'loud' so to speak but it is louder than stock for sure and it will raise a few eyebrows when you pass by....Had the cars come stock sounding like the Corsa Extreme there would have been very few people actually getting exhaust mods done except to get louder.

·
Registered
22,648 Posts
Nice write up. I had the Borla made Mopar exhaust on my R/T, I found that it had some drone (I had an automatic) in the 2,000-2,200 rpm range but that I either got used to it or it lessened with time. Overall though I was fairly happy with my Borla exhaust system, not sure how the Mopar version compares with the Atak.

Looking forward to the sound clips. :smileup:

·
Registered
640 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Nice write up. I had the Borla made Mopar exhaust on my R/T, I found that it had some drone (I had an automatic) in the 2,000-2,200 rpm range but that I either got used to it or it lessened with time. Overall though I was fairly happy with my Borla exhaust system, not sure how the Mopar version compares with the Atak.

Looking forward to the sound clips. :smileup:
I think the Borla made system for Mopar was closest to the Touring system. Probably similar to the Corsa Sport in sound.

You really can't go wrong with either system. It really comes down to what catches your ear...

·
Premium Member
17,675 Posts
Of all the exhausts you researched, Borla without a doubt, has the most aggressive sound. My neighbor has a bunch of Mustangs all equipped with Atak's. You can here him coming a mile away! Great Old School sound!
CONGRATS!

·
Registered
2020 Challenger Hellcat, 6 Speed Manual
1,103 Posts
I had the s-types on my previous mustang and it changed the sound dramatically in very good way. Wasn't too much wasn't too little. I really liked it.

·
Registered
640 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Of all the exhausts you researched, Borla without a doubt, has the most aggressive sound. My neighbor has a bunch of Mustangs all equipped with Atak's. You can here him coming a mile away! Great Old School sound!
CONGRATS!
Thanks..I actually never heard the Atak in person on a Challenger, I did hear it on a Mustang and thought it sounded really good. I had already liked the sound from videos but hearing it in person (although not on a Challenger) actually sold me on it.

I can't stress enough how much hearing an exhaust in person and if at all possible going on a ride along with somebody can help you make the right choice. It could end up saving you some money in the long run and keep you from doing this mod twice like I did.

·
Registered
640 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I had the s-types on my previous mustang and it changed the sound dramatically in very good way. Wasn't too much wasn't too little. I really liked it.
I was close to pulling the trigger on the S-Type..The day I actually ordered the exhaust I kept scrolling the mouse back and forth between the purchase buttons between the S-Type and the Atak.

·
Registered
2020 Challenger Hellcat, 6 Speed Manual
1,103 Posts
I was close to pulling the trigger on the S-Type..The day I actually ordered the exhaust I kept scrolling the mouse back and forth between the purchase buttons between the S-Type and the Atak.
Couldn't go wrong with either! Awesome none the less.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Why is it less better to only replace the mufflers and delete the resonators?

·
RWHP=463.3 RWTQ=456.1
2,340 Posts
Congrats! Though the ATAK May be a bit pricey compared to other cat back systems, I've always liked the Borla sound. They're on my other hobby car as we'll.

·
Registered
2,560 Posts
Congrats on the Borla system .:smileup: I was going to buy the Borla catback after hearing it on the Petty Challenger. But then a friend of mines sold me his entire SRT8 exhaust even the Magnaflow catback to me for $300. Couldn't pass that deal up.:wow:

·
Premium Member
17,675 Posts
Why is it less better to only replace the mufflers and delete the resonators?
Not necessarily less better, but most definitely cheaper and a decent sound. For around $300 you get a nice growl. I went that route and I love it.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts