Dodge Challenger Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone else ever have problems with the braided catch can lines?

Last September my check engine light came on and my Trinity was showing the P0507 and/or P2173 codes. Not long after that my car went in to limp mode. It cost me $200.00 to find out it was the Catch Can hose from the can to the manifold. The vendor of the hose sent me a new one right away.

The new hose failed this weekend. I was driving home from running errands when my engine light again came on and my Trinity showed me the P0507 code. I immediately went home, took the hose off, and replaced it with some thicker fuel line hose I had. Cleared the code and it hasn't been back in the last two days.

Anyone else have issues with the hose that goes from the manifold to the catch can?

·
Registered
4,318 Posts
Never had that issues in many years of using them. Sounds like either a lower quality brand or unfortunately 2 back-2-back defective pieces. Are the lines touching anything hot that could cause them to fail (like laying on a head, valve cover, etc.)?

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I checked my routing of the hoses because I was wondering the same thing, they are not touching anything hot. Both times it has been the same hose, the one from the side of the manifold to the catch can. I was told the first time around it may have been how I installed the hose, forcefully pushing it on instead of turning it while pushing it. So the second time around, I followed the vendors advice. Looks like it failed anyway, though not as spectacularly as the first one.

·
Administrator
2009 Challenger R/T Auto
37,217 Posts
One of our vendors had a bad batch of them many years ago but I've not heard any issues since then.

·
How fa$$$t do want to go?
9,404 Posts
My catch can and braided lines are also from B.T. Been on for over five years, never a problem (although I did opt to install mini hose clamps). Loosing vacuum will definitely set a code.

·
Administrator
2016 Challenger Scat Pack Shaker
56,118 Posts
One of our vendors had a bad batch of them many years ago but I've not heard any issues since then.
Yup saw it person, Girl with an SRT, same thing collapsed braided hose.

·
Premium Member
12,626 Posts
I actually used heater hose on our Charger and it was on there for 5 years with no issues.... go figure...

·
Registered
986 Posts
Mine has the oil-safe, non-collapsible hose to the catch can. I had heard stories of the hose collapsing due to the extreme pressure changes during acceleration/deceleration, and I didn't want to have to clean up oil spray and whatnot under the hood. I was looking at getting braided hoses in the near future, but I'd be interested to know what happened here so as to prevent it from happening on mine.

·
"Turn on, tune in, drop out"
17,165 Posts
I could never justify the cost of braided hoses. I do recommend using small clamps though.

·
Knight of the black asphalt.
8,582 Posts
My SL catch can came with clamps and color matched ends. I slightly tightened the clamp when installed.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Looks like I was wrong. My car again threw the code on the way back to work from lunch. I pulled the other catch can line off and used my temp line to just bypass the catch can and go from the valve to the intake, like it was OEM. Unfortunately the line is long and isn't designed for that 90 degree turn. But, on the bring side, I noticed that my idle almost immediately smoothed out and dropped about 60 RPM. It appears the leak may not have been in the replacement braided line I pulled off, but in the other original braided line. I'm going to try and do some investigating after work.

·
Premium Member
2,921 Posts
I have been using the Fragola Performance Premium Black Nylon Race Hose and their EZ clamps in size #10. No problems so far. Purchased from a well known large on line parts retailer.

Reactions: Bee Keeper 16
1 - 16 of 16 Posts