Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchased R1 Rotors for my Challenger, front and back, with some Hawk HPS Pads. So far the results are pretty damn good. :smileup: I can report back more after the break in period is over.

Taking the OEM brake pads and rotors off was a PITA! Dodge used some sort of anti sqeek stuff between the caliper and the pads, and it acted like a glue. I had to pry the calipers away from the pads, and long sticky strings of a gluey substance came with it. Next was the bolts holding the pad cradle on...they used something like Loctite on those, had to use some leverage and muscle while laying on the garage floor. Finally was the rotors themselves. I'm glad I was replacing them, because the only way to loosen them up from the hub was to beat on them with a hammer. Between the dirt and rust (which is odd because I live in the desert, and things usually don't rust here) they were really stuck on. Additionally, for those of you that don't know, the back brakes have a drum brake type setup for just the parking breaks. When dirt and dust gets in there it can act like you never took the parking brake off when you try and remove the rotor. Judicious application of WD40 and the aformentioned hammer took car of that.

All in all, the most time consuming brake swap I have ever done (previous being a 87 Bronco II, 95 Ford Explorer, 96 Thunderbird, & 92 Dodge Ram), but probably the most satisfying when finished. After following the bedding steps provided by R1, they seem to work great. Best pard, none of that front end shudder and brake pedal judder from the stock stuff.

·
Registered
3,726 Posts
I did the brakes on my Ram, a 2004 3/4 ton, and it sounds like the same thing. The fronts were easy but the back ones I had to beat off with a sledge hammer. Needless to say I needed new rotors in back. My e-brakes were shot and I needed all new parts for them.

When I did the brakes on my wifes 2005 300C the e-brake shoes were so thin the lining just fell off the backing plates into my hand. I don't like the e-brakes being a drum brake inside the disc brake but that appears to be the best system.

·
How fa$$$t do want to go?
9,048 Posts
Upgraded to the same setup last year. Best Mod I've done to date. Glad to hear you're satisfied with the improvement.

·
How fa$$$t do want to go?
9,048 Posts
Very satisfied. I wish Dodge had put better brakes on to begin with.
I changed mine out at 13,000 miles. The brake pads looked good, it was the BOSCH rotors that were junk (warped). Had to do the same upgrade on my 2008 Charger R/T, for the same reason.--:smiledown: Funny how it happened to both cars, just after the 12,000 mile brake warranty had expired.--:4-dontknow: I'm at 29,000 miles now and the brakes work as good as the day I changed them out.--:smileup:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts