Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Longing for spring
2,215 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all

Going to by new brake pads for my 2009 SE. I am a little confused about the best material. There is Ceramic, Metallic, Semi-metallic and even Organic (made of carrots??) to chose from. I am looking for some good standard brake pads, dont need anything fancy, but of course i want them to do the job well.

Anyone who can help me out here and recommend some pads?

·
Registered
10,541 Posts
I've been very pleased with the semi-metallic pads I got from R-1 Concepts with the cross-drilled & slotted rotors I installed. They're quiet, stop very well, not so hard that they wear the rotors prematurely, and create less brake dust than full metallic pads (a BIG pain with the SRTs).

·
Longing for spring
2,215 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Brake pads

I've been very pleased with the semi-metallic pads I got from R-1 Concepts with the cross-drilled & slotted rotors I installed. They're quiet, stop very well, not so hard that they wear the rotors prematurely, and create less brake dust than full metallic pads (a BIG pain with the SRTs).
Thanks.
I checked the R1-site and they got a good price on "Centric Premium Semi-Metallic Pads". Is this what you would recommend, even for my standard rotors?
The price is really low compered with what i have to pay for a set of standard pads here in Sweden :smileup:

·
Registered
10,541 Posts
Thanks.
I checked the R1-site and they got a good price on "Centric Premium Semi-Metallic Pads". Is this what you would recommend, even for my standard rotors?
The price is really low compered with what i have to pay for a set of standard pads here in Sweden :smileup:
I'm using the Hawk HPS semi-metallic pads. I have no experience with the Centric pads, so I can't give you any feedback on them either way.

Semi-metallic pads will be easier on all rotors, wearing them less than full-metallic. Of course there's always a trade off - wear the pads faster, or wear the rotors faster.
As long as braking is good and pads are changed when necessary, it should all work out in the end.

Drop the folks at R-1 an email and ask their opinion for your application and needs. They answered all of my questions quickly and politely. :smileup:

·
Longing for spring
2,215 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks again

Thanks 09ChallengerDad

I prefer to change the pads more often then the rotors. The Semi-metallic sounds like the right thing. I will mail R1 and ask for the best product. I could not see any Hawk-products for my Challenger SE 2009 at their site, just Posi, Centric and C-Tek. I guess the guys at R1 will sort this out :smileup:

Thanks a bunch!!

·
Administrator
2016 Challenger Scat Pack Shaker
53,586 Posts
I use the ceramic pads, they are more costly but give off little to no dust and and are quiet. When it is time to replace mine ,(soon) I am going with Bendix Ceramic they have worked very well for me in the past.

·
Longing for spring
2,215 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks

I use the ceramic pads, they are more costly but give off little to no dust and and are quiet. When it is time to replace mine ,(soon) I am going with Bendix Ceramic they have worked very well for me in the past.
You are right about that, Dodgeguy, brake noise is an issue to. Dont want any loud brakes, just stopping power. I will compare the semi-metall vs ceramic.

·
Registered
534 Posts
Seems like the popular trend these days is changing pads AND rotors. Are you guys doing that, or are you getting the rotors cut? I once had the rotor cutting botched so bad that I had to junk them and get new ones (discovered after everything was put back on the car). Had to do that brake job twice. Might be easier to start off with everything new.

·
Registered
3,873 Posts
Hey there Dad, I am FINALLY changing my ORIGINAL Brakes (128,881 miles now)...

Going with Drilled & Slotted as well.

·
Registered
3,873 Posts
Man thats some miles, nice to know you can get that kind of wear out of the oem pads :smileup:
:smileup: Yup... The secret is my Rotors. They're still as smooth as glass.

·
Registered
3,185 Posts
What kind of pads are the factory oem pads? I'm thinking they're not ceramic as they seem to produce plenty of dust on my rims.
Now on my wife's Beetle the oem pads are ceramic.

·
Registered
3,873 Posts
The massive amount of dust is the exact reason WHY I painted / created the RedLine Wheels... By painting the inside of the rim Red (originally Inferno Red Pearl) and Clear Coated made it easier for me to Clean prior to car shows (without removing the wheels every time).

Now you guys know why they are Red inside... Oh!!! The Red Trimmed Lip was an after thought as I was in the process of painting them back in 2009.

Necessity is truly the Mother Of Invention...

Those RedLine Wheels won 55 First Place Trophies (2009 to 2012)...

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
For stock rotors go semi metallic. Also get Caliper covers. They reduce break dust on your wheels.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
What kind of pads are the factory oem pads? I'm thinking they're not ceramic as they seem to produce plenty of dust on my rims.
Now on my wife's Beetle the oem pads are ceramic.
Coolbreeze, like I stated in my previous post, to reduce brake dust on the wheels, get caliper covers. :smileup:

·
Longing for spring
2,215 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Pads and Caliper covers

For stock rotors go semi metallic. Also get Caliper covers. They reduce break dust on your wheels.
Thanks. Many of you has recommended Semi-metallic. I will go for those.
I like the look of the Caliper Covers but $199 is a little to much money for that product, i think. But they sure look good......

·
Registered
10,541 Posts
Hey there Dad, I am FINALLY changing my ORIGINAL Brakes (128,881 miles now)...

Going with Drilled & Slotted as well.
Well you got your money's worth out of the stock rotors!
I think you'll really like the improved performance of the Cross-drilled and slotted rotors! :smileup:

·
Registered
3,873 Posts
Well you got your money's worth out of the stock rotors!
I think you'll really like the improved performance of the Cross-drilled and slotted rotors! :smileup:

Yup !!! I have driven them well. :smileup:

And, saved some money. :D

·
Registered
476 Posts
About to change rotors to a custom R1 set... so I am definitely going to do pads at the same time. I am leaning heavily towards Hawk Ceramic... any thoughts folks?

1 - 20 of 33 Posts