Dodge Challenger Forum banner

61 - 80 of 119 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #61 (Edited)
Dodge won't cover any of the repairs because they are wear and tear items.. The "good will gesture" they offered was to replace the transmission, which is great, but clearly wasn't causing the problem. So the car is still getting stuck in gear in heavy traffic and the dealership is saying they won't do anything else under warranty. Looks like I'll be going into my pocket to fix this. It's too bad I wasted all this time and effort with a dealership that couldn't diagnose the problem, even if the work was paid for. The customer service rep brought up that the dealership mentioned I could replace the clutch when the transmission was out.. but at the time they didn't say it was a problem. Now they think it's a problem and they want me pay to drop the transmission again and do the work they should've told me needed to be done at that time instead of telling me "the clutch is fine".

I'm waiting for a callback from the customer service rep's manager to plead my case FWIW. They won't not let me speak to the area rep.

Frustrated as ****, but I guess I expected this. I'll be glad to not go back to that dealership anyway. I won't even repeat the unprofessional and disgusting thing he did when I was there because he'd probably be fired.

·
Premium Member
3,741 Posts
Call Spofford Automotive in your town. They are on Walnut street I believe. They used to have a clutch expert there that really knew his stuff. If he isn't there anymore, the owner of the shop might do it. He is also a clutch expert. See if they are willing to take on the job and give you a guarantee that the problem will be gone for good.
-John

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #63
Call Spofford Automotive in your town. They are on Walnut street I believe. They used to have a clutch expert there that really knew his stuff. If he isn't there anymore, the owner of the shop might do it. He is also a clutch expert. See if they are willing to take on the job and give you a guarantee that the problem will be gone for good.
-John
I will give them a call. Based on what I've posted here, does it sound for sure to be a clutch issue? my last round of things to check/replace also includes the slave cylinder, pilot bearing, potentially throwout bearing or flywheel. I also am at the point where I feel like i would pay to be sure the input shaft is cleaned and lubed correctly. Thanks for your input John!

Jesse

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #64
Update -

FCA closed my case. The clutch, slave cylinder and pilot bearing are not covered under drivetrain or my extended warranty as they are "wear items". On the bright side, FCA did finance a replacement for the transmission, which has certaintly made things better. They also chose not to reimburse me for any of my public transit expenses incurred while bringing the vehicle to 3 different dodge dealerships that couldn't diagnose the issue except for the cost of a rental car for a few days.

I want it perfect, so I will likely drop down cash for a clutch and slave and perhaps one day the hybrid synchro assy for 1-2 shift notches. As a daily driver going in and out of the city and since it's not just a weekend car, it's important that I have smooth shifting. FCA did comment that the dealership gave me the chance to replace the clutch while the transmission was out, but at the time the service manager did not think that was the problem, so why would I replace it? They said it was a miscommunication that he check that it had a problem because I didn't "authorize it". So there's that. He said you he wouldn't check the clutch for a problem if it was being replaced, which doesn't make sense to me. Why would you go to replace it without knowing if it had a problem? ?‍♂

·
Premium Member
3,741 Posts
Update -

FCA did comment that the dealership gave me the chance to replace the clutch while the transmission was out, but at the time the service manager did not think that was the problem, so why would I replace it? They said it was a miscommunication that he check that it had a problem because I didn't "authorize it". So there's that. He said you he wouldn't check the clutch for a problem if it was being replaced, which doesn't make sense to me. Why would you go to replace it without knowing if it had a problem? ?‍♂
That's like rebuilding an engine and only replacing 7 pistons because the last one "looks OK." Unless a clutch is less than a year old and there are no apparent problems with said clutch, Everything gets replaced along with a flywheel re-surface job if needed. Removing a transmission in these cars is no joke. If you are in there.... Everything goes! Including the damn CDV in the hydraulic line. Get the right guy to do the work and you will never regret it.

-John

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #66
Yeah I wish he had been more form in talking me into it, being an expert in his field supposedly. Although at the time I was hoping things would be fixed by the new transmission and was hoping to not have to pay anything out of pocket. Now it will cost me to go back in and drop the transmission and replace the clutch and slave... assuming that's the cause for the lingering problem..

·
Registered
2014 Boosted 392 Stroker Shaker
3,699 Posts
It's nice to see @DodgeCares jump in to try to help Dodge owners resolve problems

GreenHornet .... I think you've received some great advice. Hopefully you can get the dealer to take the steps to get your issue resolved once and for all. I can tell you that the M6 in my '15 Challenger is occasionally "notch" going into 2nd, but nothing like you're describing.
I had hybrid syncros installed in mine to fix that problem. It's the Tremec, and happens with all of the different makes of cars that use it.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #68
I had hybrid syncros installed in mine to fix that problem. It's the Tremec, and happens with all of the different makes of cars that use it.
Was it the hybrid synchronizer assembly like this guy got at AMP motors? I'm wondering if I bite the bullet and get these installed now while i'm in the weeds

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
So I guess the Dodge Cares guy on here was of no help? I understand its all about the money but with all you wave gone through you would think they would make it right.

·
Premium Member
2014 SRT-8
7,843 Posts
So I guess the Dodge Cares guy on here was of no help? I understand its all about the money but with all you wave gone through you would think they would make it right.
They don't pull any weight, the are just facilitators helping make you another appointment at a different dealer and opening a case. the district reps and above make the decisions.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #72
DodgeCares was helpful in helping me communicate with the dealership. I do think the fact that I had an open case helped get the transmission replaced, which did make the condition of the vehicle better but unfortunately did not fix my main concern of getting stuck in gear and in a way they used up my "courtesy" by fixing something that wasn't the issue. It was ultimately the area rep that decided to close my case because the parts the dealership was requesting were not covered under my drivetrain or extended warranties. "you should've replaced the clutch when the transmission was out" was basically the running theme. I do with they could've done more out of the box other than swapping out the transmission and covering a rental car after me going to 3 different Dodge dealerships over the course of the year

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
They don't pull any weight, the are just facilitators helping make you another appointment at a different dealer and opening a case. the district reps and above make the decisions.
Kind of what I thought.

Reactions: OrangeCrush392

·
Premium Member
2014 SRT-8
7,843 Posts
Kind of what I thought.
Its the same person you would get on the phone if you called Dodge, they just assigned someone to social media with the Dodge Cares monicker to make you feel warm and fuzzy that they care.

·
Premium Member
3,741 Posts
Was it the hybrid synchronizer assembly like this guy got at AMP motors? I'm wondering if I bite the bullet and get these installed now while i'm in the weeds
Kinda funny about this kit in that some (me included) have never had a problem with 1 - 2 shift notchiness. My 2013 RT was perfect as was my 2016 Scat Pack. My son drag raced that car for 2 summers at Epping NH drag strip. He could power shift so fast you would need a slo-mo camera to see his arm move.? Never once did either of those gearboxes hesitate or grind. However.... I am a big fan of Lube Gard and a bottle was deposited into the transmission on both cars as soon as I got them home. It makes a manual gearbox shift smooth as buttah.?
-John

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #76
Kinda funny about this kit in that some (me included) have never had a problem with 1 - 2 shift notchiness. My 2013 RT was perfect as was my 2016 Scat Pack. My son drag raced that car for 2 summers at Epping NH drag strip. He could power shift so fast you would need a slo-mo camera to see his arm move.? Never once did either of those gearboxes hesitate or grind. However.... I am a big fan of Lube Gard and a bottle was deposited into the transmission on both cars as soon as I got them home. It makes a manual gearbox shift smooth as buttah.?
-John
I'm wondering if I should explore the tremec high performance manual trans fluid or synchromesh before I drop money on a clutch but then I wonder if that would fix something like getting stuck in gear and having to jam it out with all my strength. That can't be normal. Will definitely check out the lube gard.

·
Premium Member
3,741 Posts
I'm wondering if I should explore the tremec high performance manual trans fluid or synchromesh before I drop money on a clutch but then I wonder if that would fix something like getting stuck in gear and having to jam it out with all my strength. That can't be normal. Will definitely check out the lube gard.
Lube Gard or any other miracle trans fluid will not fix that type of problem. In EVERY case I've seen with these gearboxes when it refuses to come out of gear, If the driver stops the vehicle and kills the engine, therefore removing the load from the drivetrain, the transmission will pop out of gear with the pressure of one finger on the shift lever. Which of course proves that there is no inherent problem with the internals of the gearbox itself. If it ever happens again, you should try that.

-John

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #78
Lube Gard or any other miracle trans fluid will not fix that type of problem. In EVERY case I've seen with these gearboxes when it refuses to come out of gear, If the driver stops the vehicle and kills the engine, therefore removing the load from the drivetrain, the transmission will pop out of gear with the pressure of one finger on the shift lever. Which of course proves that there is no inherent problem with the internals of the gearbox itself. If it ever happens again, you should try that.

-John
I'll try it. I found it occurred the last few times when I was in 3rd in traffic on an incline. As I slowed to a stop, I tried putting it in neutral and it got stuck. Today it behaved but it was just notchy, mostly in 1st and 2nd. I have an appointment at Spofford for Thursday. Do you know the name of the guy you worked with so I can ask for him?

·
Registered
2014 Boosted 392 Stroker Shaker
3,699 Posts
That is exactly what I did, and I drove to Phoenix to Amp Performance to have it done.

61 - 80 of 119 Posts