Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Brembo Breaks Squeaking "FIX"
Car being worked on is a 2011 Challenger SRT8.

First off I purchased my Challenger SRT8 brand new. Shortly after having my car the Brembo breaks started squeaking. They would squeak at slow speed stops around town but under strong and solid breaking no squeak at all.

I took my car into the dealership with 2,000 miles explained what was going on and they just tried to sale me a $2000 break job. I laughed and walked away never to do business with them again. Shortly after that I went to the internet and looked up the problem. My search results showed the squeaking to be a common compliant and nothing to be worried about. I ended up inspecting my pads and rotors myself seen nothing to be worried about and just lived with the squeak for 25,000 miles.

When it came time to replace my break pads I decided to stay with the factory Brembo pads. I really love their stopping ability and the high dust they produce didn't bother me. On the internet I ended up finding a great price for new FRONT and REAR pads. The cost for both front and rear pads was $200. Pretty good considering normal cost was $600 for both ends. Saving $400 on parts was really nice :)

I removed and replaced my stock factory pads before the brake wear indicators made contract with the rotor. Breaks pads had about 1/16" of pad left before the wear indicators would have contacted the rotors. I did not replace or resurface rotors. Rotors had no warp, cracks, or glazing. So I just cleaned them off with a can of break cleaner.

The new pads came with Brembo's grease which I did NOT use. The new rear pads came with metal shields and YES I used them. The front pads do not have metal shields. After removing the factory pads I noticed very little grease was applied to them. When it came time to grease up the new pads and their metal shields I made sure to apply a good amount of grease to the entire back of pads and their metal shields whenever used. I sprayed the rotors with break cleaner before installing the new pads. Once the new pads where installed I bed-in the pads by doing 6 runs to 65mph then breaking hard to 20mph fallowed by a 10min drive with no stops to cool of breaks. I haven't had any low or high speed squeaks. Its like a perfect set up 100% happy.

Below are some photos:

The grease I used is CRC. The small tube is the Brembo stuff, did NOT USE.

Showing how much pad was left on the old pads.

Showing the lack of grease from factory.

Showing the lack of grease from factory.

Examples of how much grease I applied. Notice how I applied grease to back of pads, then if there was a metal shield attached it and apply grease again.

·
Registered
4,573 Posts
good write up, I have the r/t and my brakes have squealed since I have had it. not ready for a brake job yet just got 24000 on them, every time I back out of my garage they squeal then you don't hear it again until I put it back in the garage and it sets for awhile. anyway nice write up will help a lot on here

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Could be glazing, on one or both of your front rotors. Bedding new brake pads is a Must.
I just wanted to mention the bed-in process. Bed in my opinion did not eliminate any noise. I only did the bed-in because they where new pads. I believe the lack of the grease on the back of the pads was the problem that caused the noise.

Before the bed-in process on the NEW pads: I drove the car around the city. Trying to see if I could hear any noise when coming to a slow stop. None was heard at all. So in my opinion the lack of grease from the start was the problem.

When the OLD pads came out I could only see grease applied to where the caliper's pistons made contact with the pads. NOT like how I applied grease to the entire back of pads and their metal shields. Which is shown in the last photos as a example.

·
How fa$$$t do want to go?
9,019 Posts
xplodezeus: nice write-up and photos on your repair. My comment was for trudyc's problem. If the right amount of brake grease was on his pads, and bedding didn't help, another possibility would be glazing on the rotors. Don't know what rotors come on the SRT8, but on the R/Ts they're BOSCH. I had to replace the BOSCH rotors on my 2008 Charger R/T & 2010 Challenger R/T at just over 12,000 miles. Not a fan of BOSCH brake parts. Sorry for the confusion.--:smileup:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts