Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Really - who breaks a dipstick? But tonight it happened - I pulled it, and only the handle came out. I'm now stuck with the rest of the plastic handle and metal stick stuck in the tube. It's down about 1/4", so I can't grip it with pliers.

Thinking about drilling a small hole in the plastic and threading a screw in, then pulling it out. But I don't want to crack the plastic and send the metal stick down further into the engine.

Anyone know how to remove the whole tube? I'm hoping it's just a bolt somewhere and an o-ring at the bottom. I obviously don't want to make this any worse.

Thanks.

·
Dazed & Confused
36,569 Posts
They make really thin needle nose pliers that you could probably grab it with. You could them attach a billet handle to the stick.

·
Administrator
2016 Challenger Scat Pack Shaker
53,636 Posts
I read how somebody went through this and posted how to retrieve it but I do not remember where sorry.

·
801 RWHP
8,517 Posts
See if you can get a hold of those long nosed clamps. They look like scissors. Doctors use them to hold stuff back. I use to use them for......well.......a different reason. Let just say to not get burned. LOL. But they are really narrow and they lock on to whatever you want. Should be able to grab it out of there and it wont slip off.

clamp.png
they look like that. can probably get them at a big pharmacy.

Attachments

·
What's Old is New Again!
39,512 Posts
See if you can get a hold of those long nosed clamps. They look like scissors. Doctors use them to hold stuff back. I use to use them for......well.......a different reason. Let just say to not get burned. LOL. But they are really narrow and they lock on to whatever you want. Should be able to grab it out of there and it wont slip off.

View attachment 36502
they look like that. can probably get them at a big pharmacy.
Hemostats.

·
801 RWHP
8,517 Posts
I double checked that last post like three times before I hit send. LOL.

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
All good ideas, but there's nothing for the pliers to grip onto. The plastic piece is recessed in the tube, and there's no way to grip it. Might try drilling it and sending in a screw.

Anyone ever remove the whole tube?

·
Registered
8,503 Posts
All good ideas, but there's nothing for the pliers to grip onto. The plastic piece is recessed in the tube, and there's no way to grip it. Might try drilling it and sending in a screw.

Anyone ever remove the whole tube?
Bummer about the dipstick situation. But a few members have switched their R/T exhaust manifolds with the SRT header style exhaust manifolds and removing or moving the dipstick is part of the process. Here are a couple of threads for reference.

http://www.challengerforumz.com/showthread.php?t=36535&highlight=dipstick+removal

Check out line #19

http://www.challengerforumz.com/showthread.php?t=66982&page=2

Check out the picture on post #13

You can also search the R/T tech section as well.

·
"Turn on, tune in, drop out"
17,165 Posts
I would think the Hemo's can grab it if it's only down 1/4 inch. Sheez, another 1981 flashback.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Carefully super glue something to the end of it?

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Bummer about the dipstick situation. But a few members have switched their R/T exhaust manifolds with the SRT header style exhaust manifolds and removing or moving the dipstick is part of the process. Here are a couple of threads for reference.

http://www.challengerforumz.com/showthread.php?t=36535&highlight=dipstick+removal

Check out line #19

http://www.challengerforumz.com/showthread.php?t=66982&page=2

Check out the picture on post #13

You can also search the R/T tech section as well.

Thanks for the links. It looks like the tube will come right out. I was concerned it was pressed in or something.

That's going to be PLAN B. I'll first try to remove the dipstick by threading in a screw and pulling.

BTW - I ordered the part this morning. Parts guys said it's fairly common and he's sold a bunch of them :SHOCKED:! Look out!!

·
801 RWHP
8,517 Posts
I must have read it wrong. I thought the rest of the dipstick was 1/4 inch down inside the tube. But if you can thread a screw in it. Never mind. I cannot at all picture what you are describing. I can only guess your saying a screw small enough to fit in the tube somewhat snug and turn it hoping the threads will grab the dipstick and pull it out? If that's the case, then I guess it goes without saying use a screw who's head is bigger than said tube. Lol. Good luck.

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I cannot at all picture what you are describing.
Sorry I don't have any pics. My description can be confusing.

Next time you look at your dipstick, look at where the o-ring is. That's exactly where the stick snapped. So half of the yellow plastic part is in the tube, and the other half (the ring) came out on my finger.

I guess the lesson here is don't break it like I did. If the dipstick is sticking, put some lube around the o-ring!

·
<<< Bending Time & Space >>>
16,093 Posts
I have noticed that the plastic yellow part sems to expand when it gets hot. The stick slides in and out easy when cold but when the motor is warmed up it "sticks" I have used 1000 grit sandpaper on it and it seems to help. There is something definately going on with that plastic as it ages.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts