Dodge Challenger Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,907 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So a few days ago I'm driving to meet a couple friends, enjoying the lovely weather, listening to the radio, when I start to hear this sound. Sounds like metal scraping metal, oh geez. Turn my radio off, and sure enough sounds like metal scraping against something. Then I smell burning oil. I start freaking out, thinking metal shavings or something terrible is going on in my engine. The noise gets lower every time I slow down, and progressively louder every time I speed up. I'm freaking out. Then, the car in front of me takes a left and the noise and smell goes away. Turns out I was just following a crappy car :doh:

Did that scare you as bad as it did me? Anything like that happen to anybody else?

·
Dash Cam Guy
2,277 Posts
I hate following crappy cars. I'm like you and start to freak out. Sometimes it is obvious when you see blue smoke out of their tail pipe, but sometimes it's not.

·
Registered
3,562 Posts
You reminded me of my first car,1981 Datsun 310GL. i'll never forget that smell and the blue smoke that engulfed my entire neighborhood! i had dreams for that piece of :poopstorm:

·
Registered
2,907 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You had me freaked out for a sec there Dave!!!....I thought you had a bad scene happening.
I've had similar things happen where you hear a nasty sound and freak for a second only to find out it's the car next to you with no power steering fluid.....
Oh yea! I'm sure I looked like an idiot too, had my window down head poking slightly out trying to decipher what the flip was goin on with my engine! That's when the beater in front of me turned and I heard the noise follow it, was so relieved I could have passed out lol

·
Andy
3,906 Posts
yes....I hate that....my nose is always very sensitive to other people's issues!!!!

reminds me of the old smokey car saying......fill the oil, check the gas!

·
Premium Member
17,675 Posts
Dave!!!!! You scared the crap outta me!! I thought to myself...this poor guy....first Hail Damage and now this!!!

....and yes, it is a sick feeling in the pit of your stomach when you don't know if it's your car or the guy in front of you!

Reactions: ninjadave

·
Mopartial to Challengers
2015 SRT Hellcat
11,044 Posts
Every car you follow will, by definition, be a crappy car. :D The only time that didn't apply was when I was in a Challenger caravan two weeks ago at the Spring Festival.

That sort of thing has happened to me as well. It's always a relief when the source of the noise/smell turns away and takes your concerns with it, isn't it?

·
Registered
2,907 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Dave!!!!! You scared the crap outta me!! I thought to myself...this poor guy....first Hail Damage and now this!!!

....and yes, it is a sick feeling in the pit of your stomach when you don't know if it's your car or the guy in front of you!
Sorry Susie ;)

But it worked then, I wrote it hoping someone would feel the absolute dread down in the pit of their stomach reading it just like I experienced when it was happening! Hopefully these 6 reppers will make up for scaring ya :D

Every car you follow will, by definition, be a crappy car. :D
And reps for that as well :smileup:

·
Waiting for beautiful fall colors!
2020 Go Mango Scat Pack
31,112 Posts
DAVE, watch it--- I'm old enough to have a heart attack!!!!! My sister-in-law told me a story last weekend that made me cringe. Her best friend backed out of the garage-----forgot to open the door!!! Do you ever envision doing that? $%%^# if I ever do that I will never tell any of you!!

Reactions: friendoffur

·
Premium Member
39,846 Posts
So a few days ago I'm driving to meet a couple friends, enjoying the lovely weather, listening to the radio, when I start to hear this sound. Sounds like metal scraping metal, oh geez. Turn my radio off, and sure enough sounds like metal scraping against something. Then I smell burning oil. I start freaking out, thinking metal shavings or something terrible is going on in my engine. The noise gets lower every time I slow down, and progressively louder every time I speed up. I'm freaking out. Then, the car in front of me takes a left and the noise and smell goes away. Turns out I was just following a crappy car :doh:

Did that scare you as bad as it did me? Anything like that happen to anybody else?
Speaking of crappy, did you soil your pants thinking it was your car? LOL!

·
Mopartial to Challengers
2015 SRT Hellcat
11,044 Posts
...I start to hear this sound. Sounds like metal scraping metal, oh geez. Turn my radio off, and sure enough sounds like metal scraping against something.
Think I mentioned this before in another thread. Dave, check your undercarriage. You might find a Camaro caught up under the rear axle. It will probably be frightened and hungry. Try coaxing it out with a bowl of milk and a plate of bowtie shaped cookies.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.