Dodge Challenger Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Waiting for beautiful fall colors!
2020 Go Mango Scat Pack
31,087 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This just scared the bgibbes out of me!! Shell Oil Company has issued a safety alert! Here are some reasons they don't allow cell phones in operating areas, propylene oxide handling and storage area, gas and diesel refueling areas.

The Shell Oil Company issued this warning after three incidents in which mobile phones ignited fumes during fueling operations:
1. In the first case, the phone was placed on the car's trunk lid during fueling; it rang and the ensuing fire destroyed the and the gasoline pump.

2. In the second, an individual suffered severe burns to their face when fumes ignited as the answered a call while refueling their car!

3. And in the third, an individual suffered burns to the thigh and groin as fumes ignited when the phone, which was in their pocket, rang while they were fueling their car.

Mobile phone that light up when switched on or when they ring release enough energy to provide a spark for ignition.

The Four Rules for Safe Refueling:
1.Turn off engine.
2.Don't smoke.
3.Don't use your cell phone - leave it inside of the vehicle or turn it off.
4.Don't re-enter your vehicle during fueling.

Guess I am going to make sure to pay attention to this when driving the Challenger!!

Reactions: Latenite1

·
Registered
144 Posts
wow when refueling I always have my iphone in my left jacket pocket, right next to the pump pumping gas...............think I will be leaving it in the caar

·
2020 Go Mango Scat Pack
31,087 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Bob Renkes of Petroleum Equipment Institute is working on a campaign to try and make people aware of fires as a result of 'static electricity' at gas pumps. His company has researched 150 cases of these fires.

·
Registered
2,907 Posts
Myth or not better safe than sorry, I suppose. :4-dontknow:

One thing I can tell you is, every single time I get out of my Challenger I get shocked. Not sure if it's sliding across my seat or what but EVERY single time I get out and touch my door it shocks my fingers. Have to be super careful at gas stations I guess! :str:

Reactions: climberccm

·
Registered
193 Posts
I think I break every single one of those rules. I have to do better!

·
2020 Go Mango Scat Pack
31,087 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ninjadave, Yes that is a good reason to be careful.
The final part of this is the results of Mr. Renkes research:
1. Out of 150 cases, almost all of them are women.
2. Almost all involved the person getting back in their vehicle while the nozzle was still pumping gas. When finished, they went back to pull the nozzle out and the fire started, as a result of static.
3. Most men never get back in their vehicle until completely finished. Therefore they are seldom involved in these types of fires.
4. Don't ever use cell phones when pumping gas.

If you absolutely have to get back into your vehicle while the gas is pumping, make sure you get out, close the door TOUCHING THE METAL, before you ever pull the nozzle out. This way the static from your body will be discharged before you ever remove the nozzle.

·
Registered
4,357 Posts
Mythbusters did test it and couldn't get a fire to start with a cell phone. I suppose in theory its possible. As others have said the usual cause is static electricity.

·
Registered
2011 Challenger R/T Classic
225 Posts
Yes, static electricity is usually the culprit. Which is also why plastic truck bedliners are now covered with warnings about fueling gas cans while in the bed of the truck.

·
Premium Member
17,675 Posts
YIKES!!!! I need to change my ways! Usually the only break I get to call a client is when I stop to fuel up....and with the cold weather I sit in my car and talk while the gas is pumping! I do shut the car off though.

·
2020 Go Mango Scat Pack
31,087 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yeh Susie, I am definitely guilty of pumping the gas while sitting in the car! Not anymore, rain or shine I will not get in and out of the car while filling up!!

·
Andy
3,906 Posts
most places around here have eliminated the latch that allows the fuel to flow without someone holding it. Static electricity is a proven explosion starter when it comes to gasoline. Cell phones....I'm not convinced. Static from getting in and out of your car....100% yes.

·
2020 Go Mango Scat Pack
31,087 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
most places around here have eliminated the latch that allows the fuel to flow without someone holding it. Static electricity is a proven explosion starter when it comes to gasoline. Cell phones....I'm not convinced. Static from getting in and out of your car....100% yes.
Thanks for your input Andy. The Shell Oil Company did issue that warning after three incidents in which mobile phone ignited fumes during fueling operations.
I don't know how they determined it was specifically the phone that caused it. I guess maybe it is better to be safe than sorry on this for now.

·
Registered
492 Posts
Myth or not better safe than sorry, I suppose. :4-dontknow:

One thing I can tell you is, every single time I get out of my Challenger I get shocked. Not sure if it's sliding across my seat or what but EVERY single time I get out and touch my door it shocks my fingers. Have to be super careful at gas stations I guess! :str:
Yeah, me too. So much so I started pushing the door shut by the window.
Hate the fingerprints but I hate getting poked more.

·
Andy
3,906 Posts
Thanks for your input Andy. The Shell Oil Company did issue that warning after three incidents in which mobile phone ignited fumes during fueling operations.
I don't know how they determined it was specifically the phone that caused it. I guess maybe it is better to be safe than sorry on this for now.
absolutely I agree....why take the chance. I know they say it's always best interest to touch the car before you reach for the nozzle if you do walk away from the nozzle for any reason while you are fuelling up to disipate any potential static you might have built up. Personally, I always use the nozzle for the entire fill and then do whatever I need to do afterwards....clean the windshield, lights, etc....and as I mentioned, most stations here have removed the nozzle holder openers anyway.

·
Registered
1,023 Posts
Looks Like I am safe. I don't own a cell phone.

·
Premium Member
1,533 Posts
Danger

In my career, I learned to never assume something can't happen. Anything is possible. I wear my phone on my belt.
In the last three weeks, I've had a significant incidence of static shocks when exiting the Challenger. I actually see a spark.
I leave the phone in the car when fueling.
Keep on CHALLENGING!:smileup:

·
Dash Cam Guy
2,277 Posts
No they didn't issue anything because it is all made up. Check the Snopes link above that 392Zaphod posted. This misinformation has been floating around the net for 12 years. A cell phone has never started a fire. There is no app for that. I bet the warnings to not using a cell phone are more to keep people from being distracted and spilling fuel everywhere than anything else.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.