Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i was having trouble getting into 2nd while driving with some enthusiasm. I chocked it up to me just not hitting it right in the beginning, but then it happened more regularly and my dad missed when he got a chance to play with it... So I decided to take it in to get it looked at. Under warranty and all.
They said it would need to be taken out and gone through to see whats wrong with it.
They did, and a week and a half later I have a car that feels better than when I got it almost 6 months ago.
They replaced 2nd gear, 1st & 2nd gear synchros, output shaft seal and I got some new fluid.

All in all, I am very happy I brought it into get looked at. The tranny shifts soo much better, night & day.

And I experienced for the first time the Skip Shift, bringing me to the point of this thread.

BE CAREFUL with the skip shift. It is my belief that powering through the skip shift is what caused this issue. The guy before me must have not know about it or something, but in the first 5000 miles of my driving I didn't experience it one. In the 2 days and 60 miles since I got it back, I have felt it 4-5 times...

I already have the skip shift eliminator sitting in my garage, I ordered it before I brought it in thinking this might fix my issue without dealer help.

·
Registered
13,032 Posts
How many miles were on the car when you bought it? I know some of the TR6060's had synchro issues with 2nd and 3rd gear, but never heard of them replacing one of the actual gears, it must have been pretty bad! Sounds like the previous owner either did the damage or it was just defective from day one and just got worse over time until you finally did something with it. May have been why the guy traded it in even.

Main thing is you got it fixed and it shifts nice now. That's the whole point of having a stick shift in the first place, to enjoy shifting, not experience issues and hard shifting, etc. Glad you got it fixed and it's cool now!

That skip shift feature really sucks. I always hated it on my old R/T. I got around it by tuning the car, but the skip shift eliminator is nice since it's so cheap considering tuning is a $1K investment now on our cars.

·
Premium Member
101 Posts
I'm glad you posted this thread. I too have been having problems with 2nd gear. I was embarrassed to post a topic pertaining to this issue as I thought it might be user error. I have owned several manual transmissions and never experienced this before. In my situation, from 1st to 2nd, 2nd wants to go to 4th all the time, especially around corners. This is increasing every time I drive the car. I noticed it at about 600 miles. Looks like a call to the dealer is in my future. Thanks for the post.

·
Premium Member
2,169 Posts
2nd car , both 6 speeds, installed a Skip Shift on both.
I LOVE Challengers but honestly, if I could only choose one complaint it would be about the shifting. Hard shifting into reverse and 1st after car has been sitting; especially on a hill. Can't tell you how many times I've forgotten to keep the revs up and killed the engine in 1st or reverse. Honestly, I have a 21 year old Pontiac that shifts easier, smoother, and crisper than my Challengers.
Oh, and I've had both cars to the dealership about this issue. The 2010 needed new shaft grease and my current RT needed a better transmission fluid.

·
"Turn on, tune in, drop out"
17,165 Posts
^^ I have not had any issues with any gear. I run Royal Purple trans & diff fluids but it was fine before that too. Maybe changing your fluid will help you. As has been mentioned before, this RP makes it feel 'wet.'

·
How fa$$$t do want to go?
9,019 Posts
^^ I have not had any issues with any gear. I run Royal Purple trans & diff fluids but it was fine before that too. Maybe changing your fluid will help you. As has been mentioned before, this RP makes it feel 'wet.'
OK! Now I know why you ware a driving glove on your right hand! :p

·
Registered
72 Posts
I was wondering about this...I've been babying this thing for the most part and I've missed 2nd gear probably 10 times now. It's like I have to hold my hand in just the right position or it won't go into 2nd gear when I shift - mostly while cruising. I just thought it was a crappy shifter. I've had tons of stick cars in my day and NEVER had a problem hitting 2nd gear, it was always the 2nd-3rd upshift I would miss occasionally racing. So it sounds like it's not the shifter?? I've got about 350 miles on it now.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
This was happening for me at higher RPMs... The ones you shouldn't be hitting since you are still in the break-in period... I would add Lubegard 60902 Automatic Transmission Fluid Protectant to slippery up the gears. and a skip shift eliminator is a must in my opinion...

·
Business
21,294 Posts
This was happening for me at higher RPMs... The ones you shouldn't be hitting since you are still in the break-in period... I would add Lubegard 60902 Automatic Transmission Fluid Protectant to slippery up the gears. and a skip shift eliminator is a must in my opinion...
I agree I had a hell of a time with second gear till I got a skip shift eliminator. Best 20.00 I've spent on my Challenger.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I've only had it happen putting around....when I've gotten on it a bit it's hit 2nd gear every time with no problem. Sounds like I need the skip shift eliminator. Doesn't sound to hard to install?? Recommend the Speedlogix one?

·
Registered
405 Posts
I'm glad you posted this thread. I too have been having problems with 2nd gear. I was embarrassed to post a topic pertaining to this issue as I thought it might be user error. I have owned several manual transmissions and never experienced this before. In my situation, from 1st to 2nd, 2nd wants to go to 4th all the time, especially around corners. This is increasing every time I drive the car. I noticed it at about 600 miles. Looks like a call to the dealer is in my future. Thanks for the post.
what you are describing, is exactly what skip shift is. it skips 2nd and 3rd, and you have to shift 1st to 4th. In our cars, if you are not accelerating at a good rate, it forces the 1-4 shift for economy reasons. if you are driving a little more spirited, it can go into 2nd. it sounds like your car is doing what it should, unless it is forcing the skip at speeds it shouldn't.

·
Registered
405 Posts
One thing I did find on my 6spd Scat with the skip shift eliminator, I thought at low acceleration the synchros didn't feel right. it would let me shift to second every time, but if I was just moseying along in first it would slightly crunch/grind going into second. only at low RPMs. If I was getting after it, it was smooth as butter. this is just a guess, but I think the synchros from the factory are set up for a higher RPM shift, since it is supposed to skip 2nd at lower RPMs, causing a slight crunch during slower speed shifting. It wasn't a big deal, but it never felt "right", even running Royal Purple in the trans. Never felt anything strange in any other gear, or had any trouble in any way. So I chalked it up to the eliminator and just lived with it. I couldn't complain about a problem I created, and when it was hammer down, all was good.

·
Registered
83 Posts
So i was having trouble getting into 2nd while driving with some enthusiasm. I chocked it up to me just not hitting it right in the beginning, but then it happened more regularly and my dad missed when he got a chance to play with it... So I decided to take it in to get it looked at. Under warranty and all.
They said it would need to be taken out and gone through to see whats wrong with it.
They did, and a week and a half later I have a car that feels better than when I got it almost 6 months ago.
They replaced 2nd gear, 1st & 2nd gear synchros, output shaft seal and I got some new fluid.

All in all, I am very happy I brought it into get looked at. The tranny shifts soo much better, night & day.

And I experienced for the first time the Skip Shift, bringing me to the point of this thread.

BE CAREFUL with the skip shift. It is my belief that powering through the skip shift is what caused this issue. The guy before me must have not know about it or something, but in the first 5000 miles of my driving I didn't experience it one. In the 2 days and 60 miles since I got it back, I have felt it 4-5 times...

I already have the skip shift eliminator sitting in my garage, I ordered it before I brought it in thinking this might fix my issue without dealer help.
I've been experiencing what seems to me the same issue. Missed first to second shifts, doesn't want to go into second at times. I attributed it to my being rusty using a stick after years behind an automatic. Drove a 6-speed GT Mustang not long ago ... like butter. Got me thinking then my former owner may have been a little harsh. I suppose I ought to find out how good this extended warranty really is. Probably should do that before installing the shift eliminator which after this thread seems like an essential mod. Thanks all for sharing your experiences with another of these little gems of over engineering.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Part of the problem is the skip shift, the crunchiness, hesitation is caused by the clutch delay valve. There is another post about this, but can be YouTube'd. Try scat-pack-clutch-delay-valve in the search, you'll find how to remove it

1 - 20 of 21 Posts