Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know of a good STAR certified smog test and repair shop in or near San Diego that will "work with me and my mods" on my smog testing?

Private message me if you do have any recommendations, haven't been getting forum posting notifications recently, only messages.

Everything on my car now (except for exhaust/muffler, its straight piped from the cats back) is legal and CARB certified, but im mostly worried about getting screwed over with the noise level since it's volume is far higher than the legal 95dB.

For reference, my cars a 2011 R/T M6 with the following CARB certified parts (K&N CAI and JBA shorties) and other than that its got a custom tune.

·
How fa$$$t do want to go?
8,774 Posts
Might be worth investing approx. $100.00 + in your own sound meter. At least you'll know how much sound reduction in your exhaust is required by Calif. law. You're definitely between a rock and a hard place. Good Luck. (y)

·
Registered
2020 Dodge Challenger Hellraisin Scat Pack
1,412 Posts
Does anyone know of a good STAR certified smog test and repair shop in or near San Diego that will "work with me and my mods" on my smog testing?

Private message me if you do have any recommendations, haven't been getting forum posting notifications recently, only messages.

Everything on my car now (except for exhaust/muffler, its straight piped from the cats back) is legal and CARB certified, but im mostly worried about getting screwed over with the noise level since it's volume is far higher than the legal 95dB.

For reference, my cars a 2011 R/T M6 with the following CARB certified parts (K&N CAI and JBA shorties) and other than that its got a custom tune.
Does the sound level get checked during SMOG? I have no info on this one way or the other.

Almost guaranteed the extra loudness will draw the tech's attention to the exhaust and if the tech looks and sees it has been modified he might be compelled to fail the car.

·
Registered
952 Posts
I believe in years past California checked emissions and loudness of the exhaust. Years ago I got pulled over by the Sheriff while riding my CBR 600 motorcycle. I was riding through a canyon. He pulled me over because I had a modified exhaust (Yoshimura). He called a tow truck and had my bike impounded. He left me walking home. That was before cell phones.

·
Registered
253 Posts
I am not aware that CA smog stations check the decibel level of exhaust. Call a smog station and ask if they do that. Also, be aware that if you have a catch can, your car will not pass the visual unless the tech. overlooks it. My smog tech told me that I can leave the catch can on and disconnect it and he will pass it. I hope they change that requirement before I will need to smog my 18 Challenger.

·
Registered
2020 Dodge Challenger Hellraisin Scat Pack
1,412 Posts
I believe in years past California checked emissions and loudness of the exhaust. Years ago I got pulled over by the Sheriff while riding my CBR 600 motorcycle. I was riding through a canyon. He pulled me over because I had a modified exhaust (Yoshimura). He called a tow truck and had my bike impounded. He left me walking home. That was before cell phones.
You must have had the mark of Cain upon you. I rode a H-D with drag pipes and never got pulled over.

Well, check that. Never got pulled over for noise. I got pulled over once -- the day before I sold the motorcycle -- because I took it out to what I thought was an area free of LEO and decided to try a drag launch. The launch went well, but I went by a cop parked off out of sight. He pulled me over not for speeding or exhibition of speed, but I happened to roll through a stop sign.

And just about every motorcycle on the road here has very loud exhaust. There is no indication LEO is cracking down on loud motorcycles even with the presence of the (recently passed) noise law.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts