Dodge Challenger Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2018 F8 R/T Challenger
1,826 Posts
It baffles me why an entire state would care if your car is tuned or not, we have factories, railroads, big ships, heavy equipment, etc all over this country putting out more “smog” than anything but they’re worried about a tuned vehicle? How much more “smog” can a tuned vehicle add? And don’t get me started on decibel levels, I’m sure Karen’s mouth is louder than any car or bike.

·
Registered
2011 SXT Canadian Built Challenger
1,171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well they also do not use common sense because increasing HP doesn't mean more pollution but of course they don't get efficiency of an Air Pump (Engine).

·
Mopartial to Challengers
2015 SRT Hellcat
10,392 Posts
This is not entirely new. California doesn't require emissions certification until a car turns 7 or 8 years old, and by then a lot of owners swap out their Challengers anyway. After that, emissions certification becomes bi-annual until a car hits 14 model years, then it becomes an annual inspection.

My 2013 R/T was probably due for an emissions test this summer, but I traded it in for a 2015 SRT last March. I tuned the ECU on the R/T in 2019 with a Diablosport Trinity 2 and would've reloaded the stock tune when it came time for emissions testing. When I traded it in the dealership asked to borrow my Trinity to reload the stock tune so it could pass emissions to complete the deal.

I imagine it gets a little trickier for 2015+ models where the PCM must be swapped for tuning purposes, but with my SRT I haven't done any tuning although I installed easily reversible bolt-on mods. The stock OEM parts are stored in the garage and I'll reinstall them in two years when it comes time for the cat's first required emissions test.

·
Premium Member
3,410 Posts
" If your car's ECU program isn't verified as legal by a California Air Resources Board (C.A.R.B.) Executive Order, then your car won't pass smog, regardless of its emissions output. "

It seems seriously one sided, what if the engine mods actually improve the emissions output?

They would totally discard improvement in emissions output that may actually be good for the environment, without taking the improvement into consideration, just to enforce their law?

California lawmakers are total fanatics, IMO.

·
Registered
221 Posts
It baffles me why an entire state would care if your car is tuned or not, we have factories, railroads, big ships, heavy equipment, etc all over this country putting out more “smog” than anything but they’re worried about a tuned vehicle? How much more “smog” can a tuned vehicle add? And don’t get me started on decibel levels, I’m sure Karen’s mouth is louder than any car or bike.
Where did you get the idea this was actually about smog? It is about controlling people, plain and simple.

How many more cars are on the road today vs 40-50 years ago when the air looked like this? Yes, we have made incredible progress and no amount of 'tuned' vehicles is going to cause us to regress back to the days of carburetors and down-draft tubes.

That said....fellas, this stuff ain't helping public perceptions either.

·
Premium Member
2016 Dodge Challenger R/T Plus in Granite Crystal Metallic
1,971 Posts
Where did you get the idea this was actually about smog? It is about controlling people, plain and simple.

How many more cars are on the road today vs 40-50 years ago when the air looked like this? Yes, we have made incredible progress and no amount of 'tuned' vehicles is going to cause us to regress back to the days of carburetors and down-draft tubes.
View attachment 282508

That said....fellas, this stuff ain't helping public perceptions either.
View attachment 282509
The lawmakers know nothing about the laws they pass and how it affects the common person or the manufacturers of certain products. Shame that most laws are passed at the behest of a microscopic portion of the citizenry!

·
Premium Member
2014 SRT-8
8,217 Posts
Actually I failed emissions in De. and I thought maybe it was the tune so I went to the other end of the lot and removed my tune and went thru again and it was worse.

·
Premium Member
3,410 Posts
Actually I failed emissions in De. and I thought maybe it was the tune so I went to the other end of the lot and removed my tune and went thru again and it was worse.
Dave, My tune actually improved my gas mileage, we don't have inspection stations in South Carolina anymore to see what the emissions would actually be on mine, but yours getting worse does show the tune was helping. What did they find wrong that had to be corrected? Ry

·
Registered
1,946 Posts
Law makers in CA have no understanding of high performance no do they care. In fact, they want to punish those who do. I just had a long tubes and a tune. I was told my milage would improve. Now I am getting HC lifters and a stage 2 cam and I am told my mileage will again improve. I have high flow cats also. Thank God I am in Texas.

·
Premium Member
2014 SRT-8
8,217 Posts
Dave, My tune actually improved my gas mileage, we don't have inspection stations in South Carolina anymore to see what the emissions would actually be on mine, but yours getting worse does show the tune was helping. What did they find wrong that had to be corrected? Ry
Nothing the state station in my county was using a tailpipe sniffer and I went to the next county and they use the OBD II so with no trouble codes it passed. I then drove to the other side of the lot and reinstalled my tune. All is good in Daveland!

·
Registered
2020 Dodge Challenger Hellraisin Scat Pack
1,863 Posts
That's almost to be expected. The tune is there to accommodate the changes made to the engine to deal with these changes because the factory is limited to how much it can deviate from predetermined adaptations. If it has to go too far it can fail to set a readiness monitor to complete or turn on the CEL and log one or more error codes.

Even if the engine is stock reverting to the factory tune almost certainly should have the error codes cleared, even if there are none. In doing this the learned fuel trims are reset back to factory. In some cases I believe another action is required to reset the timing maps.

Then the car driven normally -- and probably best close to a factory sanctioned drive cycle -- in order for the car's ECM to relearn what it learns and run through readiness monitor tests and (it is hoped) set these to complete.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Just one of many thousands of reasons we got the hell out of Commiefornya.
That place can be used for nuclear weapons testing......if there is enough of that $h!+hole left to burn with all the fires they get.

·
Registered
816 Posts
All these crackdowns will accomplish is to put more and more per-emmision vehicles back on the road as daily drivers; thus completely nullifying any new laws.

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
This is not entirely new. California doesn't require emissions certification until a car turns 7 or 8 years old, and by then a lot of owners swap out their Challengers anyway. After that, emissions certification becomes bi-annual until a car hits 14 model years, then it becomes an annual inspection.

My 2013 R/T was probably due for an emissions test this summer, but I traded it in for a 2015 SRT last March. I tuned the ECU on the R/T in 2019 with a Diablosport Trinity 2 and would've reloaded the stock tune when it came time for emissions testing. When I traded it in the dealership asked to borrow my Trinity to reload the stock tune so it could pass emissions to complete the deal.

I imagine it gets a little trickier for 2015+ models where the PCM must be swapped for tuning purposes, but with my SRT I haven't done any tuning although I installed easily reversible bolt-on mods. The stock OEM parts are stored in the garage and I'll reinstall them in two years when it comes time for the cat's first required emissions test.

Hey John, I put a NEW ECU, New 5.7L Crate Motor & New Transmission and New JBA Shorty Headers and more in my 2009 Challenger... I think it might slide through.

It's in Texas getting the final upgrades and then it goes back to So. Cal. I've got my fingers crossed.

2009 (5.7L 'CUDA) vs 2016 (6.4L Super Bee)

Looks BRAND SPANKIN' NEW.

·
Mopartial to Challengers
2015 SRT Hellcat
10,392 Posts
Hey John, I put a NEW ECU, New 5.7L Crate Motor & New Transmission and New JBA Shorty Headers and more in my 2009 Challenger... I think it might slide through.

It's in Texas getting the final upgrades and then it goes back to So. Cal. I've got my fingers crossed
Pulling for you, Tony. If it has to go in for emissions, don't forget to swap out any aftermarket engine parts with OEM unless it has an CARB EO #. California SMOG stations will now fail your car on visual inspection if they see a CAI with no CARB sticker. Catch cans are an instant fail even though those are easily removable.

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
Thanks John...
No CAI, just a mild CAM !!! LOL
And, a New Functional True "X" Pipe.
John, ya know I'm just a crazy...

Reactions: HemiMetal
1 - 18 of 18 Posts