Dodge Challenger Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all. I wanted to put some feelers out on a decision I'm trying to make for upgrades to my car. I'm not looking to create a world beater by any means, but I want my car to sound calamitous :cool:. I've decided to do one upgrade before the end of the year that I would consider as a large (in terms of cost, not a $100 CAI) upgrade. I'm stuck between headers and a camshaft. Eventually I know I will go with both as I think I'll be doing about one upgrade like this per quarter. My question to you all is which one would you do first and why? I'm fairly certain that to do either correctly would require a tune in addition to the parts and installation labor. I know I could save a buck by doing it myself, but alas I only have one of those little tool kits that's good for hanging pictures and that's about it. It's the 5.7 and at this point it is bone stock except a mid-muff delete. I do not have any intention of adding forced air of any kind at any time so I'll be staying au naturel. I want a really choppy sound more than I want extra ponies. If you need more information from me, just let me know what I've left out and I'll do my best to provide. Ladies and Gents, the floor is yours. :)

Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Automotive lighting

·
Registered
2011 SXT Canadian Built Challenger
1,656 Posts
What year is your Challenger is it an Automatic or STD also have you checked your vin to see which Rear End the car has? These things help to know more about the car and what things works best for what your looking for and want to achieve and what's the budget you have to work with so you can get help getting most bang for the buck.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply!

2018 8spd Automatic. Not sure on the rear end, I will check in to that. What I'm looking for short and long term is presentation over performance and I expect to spend anywhere from 1k to 3.5k

·
Registered
2015 Dodge Challenger SRT
824 Posts
That choppy lope that many of us like is more cam-related than headers.

And if you're doing the cam ... might as well beef up the other internals while you're in the engine.

And if you're doing headers ... go with long-tubes (probably 1 7/8.). Don't waste your time/money with shorties.

·
Slower Traffic Keep Right
5,503 Posts
Sending you a PM...

Reactions: Calamity_Jane

·
Registered
2011 SXT Canadian Built Challenger
1,656 Posts
If your car is still under Warranty you might want to hold off on the Mods till it expires. Long Tube Headers but there goes your 1k Budget quick unless you score some used ones.
If you do a Cam agree you may as well do new Cam Cam Bearings, Pin the Crank, Pushrods, Valve Springs and Lifters and Rocker Upgrade. Porting and Polishing but you also
have to get that PCM Unlocked and get a Tune which voids warranty. Then you can go with Hp Tuners or Diablo if you HP Tuners then Hemi Fever Tunes are among most popular.
You will Find HP and Loud Exhaust quickly bleeds the wallet.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks all! Great info so far and I appreciate everyone's willingness to offer an opinion.

Oh yes I definitely want that choppy cam:D and it would be the whole kit. Eventually I'd like to rebuild the lower half as well, but one piece at a time.

As for warranty it's an 18 so 36 months is right around the corner. It does only have 16k on it. It is my 2nd car so I'm not super concerned with warranty beyond the 36 months. If something breaks and I actually have to save to fix it I won't be stranded.

I really appreciate all the info on the different tuners, something I have no experience with at all. I've done some building before but it was all classic cars. 65 impala with a 383 stroker (crate) but no tuning there other than the timing light and carb adjustments that we never could get quite right.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Thanks all! Great info so far and I appreciate everyone's willingness to offer an opinion.

Oh yes I definitely want that choppy cam:D and it would be the whole kit. Eventually I'd like to rebuild the lower half as well, but one piece at a time.

As for warranty it's an 18 so 36 months is right around the corner. It does only have 16k on it. It is my 2nd car so I'm not super concerned with warranty beyond the 36 months. If something breaks and I actually have to save to fix it I won't be stranded.

I really appreciate all the info on the different tuners, something I have no experience with at all. I've done some building before but it was all classic cars. 65 impala with a 383 stroker (crate) but no tuning there other than the timing light and carb adjustments that we never could get quite right.
If you are upgrading one every quarter just wait until you have the cam and the headers. Otherwise you will be paying for tuning twice. Dyno tuning is the way to go for best performance. And if Hellcats come with shorties I am sure your 5.7 will be fine with them too.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If you are upgrading one every quarter just wait until you have the cam and the headers. Otherwise you will be paying for tuning twice. Dyno tuning is the way to go for best performance. And if Hellcats come with shorties I am sure your 5.7 will be fine with them too.
oh good point! Those are the kinds of details I tend to overlook until I'm swiping my card for the 2nd time! 😣

·
Registered
2015 Dodge Challenger SRT
824 Posts
Here's an explanation of the advantages and disadvantages of long tube and shorty headers.

Long Tube vs Shorty

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Here's an explanation of the advantages and disadvantages of long tube and shorty headers.

Long Tube vs Shorty
The bit about lowering would be my main concern. I wouldn't drop too low, and may just opt for 22" wheels to fill the gap instead. If I can find a set I like more than what is on it already anyway. They look pretty sharp. Anyone running 11" width rear with 9.5" fronts?

·
Registered
111 Posts
The bit about lowering would be my main concern. I wouldn't drop too low, and may just opt for 22" wheels to fill the gap instead. If I can find a set I like more than what is on it already anyway. They look pretty sharp. Anyone running 11" width rear with 9.5" fronts?
My R/T is lowered with Eibach springs. That's why I went with shorties. And like I said "how bad can it be if Hellcats use shorties too?"

·
Slower Traffic Keep Right
5,503 Posts
Anyone running 11" width rear with 9.5" fronts?
Not quite .. this set is 20x9 in front 20x11 in the rear... also, with 22's, I would be concerned about losing some performance which such a large wheel/tire combo....

Wheel Tire Vehicle Car Window

·
Premium Member
2015 R/T 5.7L A8
3,640 Posts
Hi all. I wanted to put some feelers out on a decision I'm trying to make for upgrades to my car. I'm not looking to create a world beater by any means, but I want my car to sound calamitous :cool:. I've decided to do one upgrade before the end of the year that I would consider as a large (in terms of cost, not a $100 CAI) upgrade. I'm stuck between headers and a camshaft. Eventually I know I will go with both as I think I'll be doing about one upgrade like this per quarter. My question to you all is which one would you do first and why? I'm fairly certain that to do either correctly would require a tune in addition to the parts and installation labor. I know I could save a buck by doing it myself, but alas I only have one of those little tool kits that's good for hanging pictures and that's about it. It's the 5.7 and at this point it is bone stock except a mid-muff delete. I do not have any intention of adding forced air of any kind at any time so I'll be staying au naturel. I want a really choppy sound more than I want extra ponies. If you need more information from me, just let me know what I've left out and I'll do my best to provide. Ladies and Gents, the floor is yours. :)

View attachment 288624
Gorgeous Ride You Have!

I was not going to respond to this when you first posted simply because it usually ends in the same argument, but I am just going to give my 2 cents and that's it.

#1 If you plan to keep the car long term period, then entertain some of the advise in this thread, it is irrelevant. If you do not and plan trading it in in the future no matter how far that will be off do not put the cam and long tube headers on it. Many dealerships will not touch the car if they discover it simply has long tube headers on it and if they do take it they will use that modification excuse to seriously low ball the value of it. I talked to one dealership that told me just out of curiosity that they would require the owner have it swapped back to the stock exhaust manifolds before they would even touch it and they would still low ball the price.

#2 Short headers on the 5.7 are not a waste of money at all, not sure why many develop this brain perception, but think of this, if the short headers are so useless, why are they on the stock Scat Pack and Hellcats. Dodge has had no problem getting power running through them, think about it. My Challenger 5.7 with its upgrades running short headers can outperform some of the 5.7s with long tubes and a cam.

#3 The 5.7 is seriously dialed back, run upgrades that let the stock engine breath in and out, then have it Data Logged and tuned to take full advantage of that ability to breath, put tires on the rear that can grip the road and you will create one seriously pleasing ride. Just My 2 Cents. Ry

1 - 15 of 15 Posts