Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, so I was basically curious on which route I should take on building my 2017 Dodge Charger RT. I was looking into having a cam added as well as some boost. My two options for boost is either procharger or whipple. I am ready to cam my car now but boost will be added not to long after, So I’m guessing I should get a boost cam. My goal is to push as much whp As possible while having a Reliable car still.
Current set up is E85, JBA LT headers, 180 tstat, AFE Cold air intake, straight pipe exhaust and I am currently pushing 389 whp and 418 tq
Goal is to be around 580+ whp!

·
Registered
492 Posts
Theres a bunch of cam choices, most aftermarket are a pain to tune. Easiest and cheapest is the 6.4 or 6.2 cams. No phaser limiter needed for either. 6.2 would be good for supercharger. The cam along with mopar performance springs, buy individually. Comes out around 70-80.00 for springs that way. You didnt say if it was auto or stick. The factory cams can be gotten with mds or without. Aftermarket would most likely be without.
Me personally i have a comp 274 cam and am gathering rest of parts. Not a cheap route. Then pain to tune cause it requires a limiter also.
So it really depends on your wallet and what you want to spend.

·
Premium Member
3,065 Posts
Paid a visit yesterday to our favorite CDJR dealership and touched base with a service department employee that had been sharing with me the last time I had my 5.7 air canister recall done, about he had just had the 6.4 cam installed on his 5.7. I asked him how it was running and he said, well, we have to get it fined tuned as it is running really rough right now, but we'll get it. That was about 6 months ago, so yesterday I asked him how it was running he had plenty of time to get it fine tuned? Obviously I just walked up and slapped him in the face and did not realize it until he told me the full story.

Long story short, He did not even have the car anymore because the engine completely locked up, fortunately for him it locked up while having the oil changed at another dealership when the service tech used his car to go to lunch. A true series of unfortunate events which led to him getting a new 5.7 at an unbelievable deal.

Moral of this story:

Do not take the cheap route for a Cam for the 5.7, get a Cam designed and ground specifically for the 5.7, because you may not get a new car out of it! Ry

·
Registered
492 Posts
Paid a visit yesterday to our favorite CDJR dealership and touched base with a service department employee that had been sharing with me the last time I had my 5.7 air canister recall done, about he had just had the 6.4 cam installed on his 5.7. I asked him how it was running and he said, well, we have to get it fined tuned as it is running really rough right now, but we'll get it. That was about 6 months ago, so yesterday I asked him how it was running he had plenty of time to get it fine tuned? Obviously I just walked up and slapped him in the face and did not realize it until he told me the full story.

Long story short, He did not even have the car anymore because the engine completely locked up, fortunately for him it locked up while having the oil changed at another dealership when the service tech used his car to go to lunch. A true series of unfortunate events which led to him getting a new 5.7 at an unbelievable deal.

Moral of this story:

Do not take the cheap route for a Cam for the 5.7, get a Cam designed and ground specifically for the 5.7, because you may not get a new car out of it! Ry
Lots of 5.7's have the 392 cam installed and have no issues. Its a cheap alternative to an aftermarket cam and you keep full function of the phaser. If your guy had an issue right from the go, then he did something wrong. Ive seen the swap done and seen the cars fire up without a tune. They dont run rough. Sounds like he got a cam bearing screwed up on install/ removal or had it out of time. The aftermarket cams are the ones that run rough because most use a limiter and need a tune.

·
Premium Member
3,065 Posts
Lots of 5.7's have the 392 cam installed and have no issues. Its a cheap alternative to an aftermarket cam and you keep full function of the phaser. If your guy had an issue right from the go, then he did something wrong. Ive seen the swap done and seen the cars fire up without a tune. They dont run rough. Sounds like he got a cam bearing screwed up on install/ removal or had it out of time. The aftermarket cams are the ones that run rough because most use a limiter and need a tune.
Are you running a 392 cam in your 5.7?

·
Registered
492 Posts
Are you running a 392 cam in your 5.7?
No, i wanted the old school idle and that cant be achieved with the 392 cam. However ive done a swap and helped a guy do his also. No issues on either one. If i didnt want the extra rpm's the 274 cam allows and lope idle, i would have went 392 route.

·
Premium Member
3,065 Posts
So you have hands on experience with one then that's good, I kinda thought the guy I was referencing actually messed his up himself, because he was referring to driving it hard. Personally I would not have done that until I had the bugs smoothed out, because he said it was running rough.

·
Registered
492 Posts
So you have hands on experience with one then that's good, I kinda thought the guy I was referencing actually messed his up himself, because he was referring to driving it hard. Personally I would not have done that until I had the bugs smoothed out, because he said it was running rough.
You have to change the springs. This is the part # for dodge performance springs, best to buy individually. Cheaper that way.
68277306AA
then you need the cam. You can get it with mds or without depending if you have auto or stick. Pushrods is a good upgrade at same time, but not required with the 6.4 cam. The car will run on startup and drive normal. Just at wot it doesnt get enough fuel.
Will pull all the way to 6500 after a tune to add more fuel.
Ya sounds like your guy got something wrong. Ive done one and helped the other and both was same results. 6.2 cam is better for the supercharger route and 6.4 is N/A. Both will give a slightly more aggressive sound at idle, but still no lope. Neither needs a limiter and retains full function of the vvt.

·
Premium Member
3,065 Posts
I'm debating on either going the Cam route or Pro Charger, if I do go the Cam route I want the lope as well! :)

·
Registered
492 Posts
I'm debating on either going the Cam route or Pro Charger, if I do go the Cam route I want the lope as well! :)
It isnt cheap to go aftermarket cam unless you do NSR cam and it isnt really performance oriented, only idle oriented and still requires a tune.
Heres a breakdown of parts for my cam swap, havent done it yet cause it takes so much $$ and with a family of 4 im on a budget. Prices are rounded off.
Cam, 500. Springs, 600., pushrods 170., valves 600., roller rockers 1000., stabilizers 300.,limiter100,.
Ill probably change lifters out also cause they are prone to failure. Then theres gaskets, tune, ecu crack.
Not cheap to do correctly for the 7500 rpm range i want to let the cam run up to. I have about 1/3 of the parts at moment.
6.4 or 6.2 can be done for under 1000

·
Registered
54 Posts
It isnt cheap to go aftermarket cam unless you do NSR cam and it isnt really performance oriented, only idle oriented and still requires a tune.
Heres a breakdown of parts for my cam swap, havent done it yet cause it takes so much $$ and with a family of 4 im on a budget. Prices are rounded off.
Cam, 500. Springs, 600., pushrods 170., valves 600., roller rockers 1000., stabilizers 300.,limiter100,.
Ill probably change lifters out also cause they are prone to failure. Then theres gaskets, tune, ecu crack.
Not cheap to do correctly for the 7500 rpm range i want to let the cam run up to. I have about 1/3 of the parts at moment.
6.4 or 6.2 can be done for under 1000
I have the comp274 cam in mine and it's definitely nice and loby at idle!

Doing my full build at once cost a lot but also saved a lot on labor. I'll post up my build sheet with cost whited-out later tonight ;)

Reactions: Scott MacDonald
1 - 11 of 11 Posts