Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
18,739 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As the question says, will a 245/45 tire fit on a 8.5 / 9" rim ? My son wants to change out the original 8" chrome clad rims. Currently, there are 245/45/20 Conti Extremes on them with only 12 K miles.
Can't seem to find too many 8" Challenger replacement rims. However,there are a lot more available in 8.5 and 9 inch sizes.
Thanks.

·
Administrator
2016 Challenger Scat Pack Shaker
54,365 Posts
As the question says, will a 245/45 tire fit on a 8.5 / 9" rim ? My son wants to change out the original 8" chrome clad rims. Currently, there are 245/45/20 Conti Extremes on them with only 12 K miles.
Can't seem to find too many 8" Challenger replacement rims. However,there are a lot more available in 8.5 and 9 inch sizes.
Thanks.
Yes no problem on either.

·
Premium Member
18,739 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yep, I believe that 9 inch is the widest that tire will fit on.
Thanks Joe. My son likes the Hellcat replicas ( 9") from American Racing but was told they definitely wouldn't fit. Figured it was time to ask the forum.

·
Administrator
54,365 Posts
Thanks Joe. My son likes the Hellcat replicas ( 9") from American Racing but was told they definitely wouldn't fit. Figured it was time to ask the forum.
Make sure of the offset.

Reactions: MIDNITE RT

·
Premium Member
18,739 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Make sure of the offset.
Corbin, pardon my ignorance but I've never understood "the offset". Since the car has the MGP caliper covers, I'll make sure to mention that. The current rims have at least 1" of clearance between the caliper cover and the inside edge of the rim.

·
Administrator
54,365 Posts
Corbin, pardon my ignorance but I've never understood "the offset". Since the car has the MGP caliper covers, I'll make sure to mention that. The current rims have at least 1" of clearance between the caliper cover and the inside edge of the rim.
Basically it is whether the wheel is positioned toward the inside or outside of the wheel well. To much positive offset and the wheel will stick out side the fender also not enough it could rub suspension parts. The wheels on my 2010 had +15 and they were just about right. 9" for reference.

·
Premium Member
18,739 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Basically it is whether the wheel is positioned toward the inside or outside of the wheel well. To much positive offset and the wheel will stick out side the fender also not enough it could rub suspension parts. The wheels on my 2010 had +15 and they were just about right. 9" for reference.
Am I correct in assuming that the offset for an OEM rim on its original car is always 0 and that Offset comes into play when you are using rims that are different than OEM ?

·
Administrator
54,365 Posts
Am I correct in assuming that the offset for an OEM rim on its original car is always 0 and that Offset comes into play when you are using rims that are different than OEM ?
No, 0 offset would be the surface where the wheel mounts. How the wheel is made (design) will affect the offset.

·
Premium Member
18,739 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
No, 0 offset would be the surface where the wheel mounts. How the wheel is made (design) will affect the offset.
Maybe I expressed it wrong. My concept of 0 would be exactly where the center of the OEM rim meets the surface to be mounted. Depending on the contour of the aftermarket rims to be mounted is where the offset comes into play.

·
Administrator
54,365 Posts
Maybe I expressed it wrong. My concept of 0 would be exactly where the center of the OEM rim meets the surface to be mounted. Depending on the contour of the aftermarket rims to be mounted is where the offset comes into play.
Yup, just don't go too far from the factory wheel which I believe changed in 2015 though I am not total sure.

·
Premium Member
18,739 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I have 245/45/20 tires on 9 inch wheels installed on the front of my '09 SRT.
No problem with that set up.
Example of Offsets:

View attachment 275176
I have 9.5 wheels on my Scat with 245x40x20 tires on the front. No issues.
View attachment 275227
Shouldn't be a problem... A buddy of mine had a Charger SRT with 9 inch rims and 245's all around from the factory...
Thank you for your feedback. (y)
@DodgeFL - how much clearance is there between the back of the spokes on your rims and the front of the calipers ? My son has the mgp caliper covers which we want to make sure will clear.
Thanks.

·
Premium Member
18,739 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I believe the original offset for at least the '09 R/Ts is 18mm, the Vipers I'm running are 20mm without any issue.
Just spoke with someone at American Muscle who seemed like he knew what he was talking about. He said the 245's will fit a 9" rim ( which I already knew from here) and that the original offset on the chrome clads is 18 mm. The new 9" rims are 24mm which means the tires will stick out about 1/4 " more than now.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts