Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Seems like there’s always a question about what exhaust system will make someone’s V6 sound louder or give it better performance? Is it really possible to make it sound better than a V6?

·
Premium Member
1,641 Posts
The Dodge 3.6 engines have never had a sound that's pleasing to my ears when equipped with aftermarket exhausts. You can put exhaust systems on them that make them louder or give them a sound that's slightly different, but they still have hints of that unique FCA inbred exhaust note. Actually, I prefer the stock system in mine so I can enjoy the stereo when cruising around.

To each his or her own though, as I know many owners enjoy exhaust mod's and prefer the sound of an aftermarket system.;)

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
We have the 3.6 in our Jeep GC. It has plenty of smooth power but it will never sound like a Hemi even with no exhaust system. I can’t see spending the money. Just embrace what you got or trade it in on an R/T if you want to be a hot rider...

·
Premium Member
8,700 Posts
Switch cars!!....remember, happy wife happy life
Lol....kind of like that now...I drive her car a whole lot...she on the other hand will not drive mine. She drove my 5.7 RT 6-speed all the time no problem but she got loose with the Scat one time and now it's no way...that car is dangerous....lol

·
Premium Member
642 Posts
Only one time I heard a good sounding V6 exhaust. Back in 2002 I put a Borla catback system on my 1993 Thunderbird Super Coupe 3.8 supercharged V6. It really did sound good. But have never heard any others sound very good.

·
Registered
1,404 Posts
I've heard some modified V6 exhausts and they all sound like ricers. Not sure if anything can be done. I've driven a V6 Challenger and have the same in my '19 Grand Cherokee and don't have any issues with performance, but the sound of a V8 can never be duplicated.

·
Premium Member
2,666 Posts
This V6 sounds the way it does because of the engine design. First of all, the crankshaft is phased as a pair of two 3 cylinder engines paired together. On top of that, the cylinder head has all three exhaust ports merge into a common collector for optimum exhaust scavenging. Even when this engine is mounted on a test stand with a set of stubby pipes mounted to the heads, when the engine is revved up, it sounds like a Japanese motorcycle engine.:LOL:
-John

·
Registered
585 Posts
First mistake is always "I wanna make it sound like a V8" and/or trying to compare ANY sound from it to a V8. Second mistake is often going with the "names" that work for V8s... Flowmasters being one of the biggest failures in my opinion. The Pentastar's different exhaust pulse pattern, as described above, makes it tough. To me, Flowmasters and others with internal baffle plates get raspy and ricey at higher rpms, which I hate. Straight through, fiber packed mufflers at least 18" canister length will help kill drone after deleting resonators. Magnaflow's design type is what I prefer, but there are less expensive options with the same design and function, and I see no reason to spend for a prettier looking muffler. I haven't heard an expensive full system yet that justified spending a grand or more. Based on some conversations in this forum, and some experimentation of my own, this is what I ended up with, and am very happy with it. Easily heard in cabin, but no irritating drone, cruising volume mellow enough to listen to music low and have normal conversation, but nice hard growl when pushing it. No raspy metallic sound on hard acceleration. No straight pipe tractor sound. Deeper idle/low rpm, but never obnoxious. Sound like a V8? Nope, but I don't drive a V8. The goal isn't V8 sound, it's a "good sound" for what you have. My opinion is, it CAN be done, but most people try the wrong things. This works very well for me, but obviously YMMV.

·
Registered
585 Posts

·
Registered
289 Posts
I am seriously considering the Sprintex supercharger for my GT in the future. I will do the Hellcat air box and high flow filter. The exhaust would stay stone stock, maybe a better pipe X pipe. As said, the 3.6 doesn't sound good with aftermarket or modified stock exhaust.

·
Registered
91 Posts
What sounds “good” is subjective. There are plenty of muffler swaps and catbacks that IMO don’t sound “good” on the 3.6. If you’re expecting a V8 sound from a V6 than you’re going to be disappointed. There ARE muffler swaps like the one granite posted(my first exhaust setup) that will make the pentastar sound good “for a sports car” however, many have a somewhat “European” sound that most muscle car enthusiasts don’t like.
It IS possible to give the pentastar a mean “muscle” sound FOR A V6.. it’s just hard to do and usually includes custom work.
Heres my exhaust. Custom downpipes and catback. Has a more aggressive tone than any of the 10 Muffler/crossover/downpipe combos i tried. I’ve had 392 and 3.6 owners ask me about my “5.7”.... although my brother has a 5.7 with flowmasters and is happy to point out that although it’s a good sounding V6, it sounds nothing like his exhaust.lol.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts