Dodge Challenger Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am about ready to take my 2014 R/T to Atlanta Dragway Friday Night Legal street drags,
I have the basic mods listed below, I will have a tank of 93 octane with 2 gallons of Sunoco 260GT 100 octane on top,
first trip I want to run street ties (my 20's) to see what it will do (then I will go MH next time)

Question? can me and my 6 speed pull off mid 13's like and automatic or do I have no chance

·
Premium Member
39,846 Posts
Depends on how good a driver you are. That's probably the biggest thing. The auto is going to be much more consistent. The 6 will depend more on your launch technique.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I haven't raced in over 25 years, drove a high horse big block 4 speed Chevelle SS back in the day with 456 gears, posi, slicks and weld in ladder bar suspension, the Challenger is so soft in the chassis/suspension I was imagining it moves around a bit banging gears, or worse, doesn't plant the tires

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
If you want to be lazy and consistent you need to get a auto, but if you enjoy working for your times then stick with a manual, it'll take practice, but I feel it's more rewarding when you get the time your after. Good luck!

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks JS, the stick is so much fun on the street I am willing to work harder to bring those times down,
Iv'e heard some guys getting away with 4200 rpm launches...........if it doesn't hop.

Im going to go with the hopnot, but haven't installed it yet, probably hit the track before its on, just once

·
Slower Traffic Keep Right
5,522 Posts
I ran a few months ago... wheel hop was nuts... when I did get a good run in, I ran 13.53 @ 107.20.... only mods I had at the time was the blastin bobs delete and CAI... with your mods, you should be quicker... I just had my Hopnot stage 1 installed and will hopefully hit the track real soon... I also now have a hemeifever tuned DS Trinity and a hurst shifter (shorter throws).... out of seven runs my avg times were 13.6 - 13.7..... the 13.5 was after a 30 min cool down. I was launching just off idle most runs, just to get around the wheel hop... just to get it at each gear change (you will hit 4th by the way)... good luck, have fun and let us know how it runs! Scan your fastest time slip in also so they can add your time to the list!

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
I've only taken it to the track once due to wheel hop, man it was nuts when I tried to launch aggressively! I ran 14.3 with bad hop and not a great launch, oh and I was in Tucson, at 3200 feet above sea level too. Watch shifting into 3rd cause on my second pass I missed the shift, hit the taint spot between 1st and 3rd. The stock shifter is cool for the street but a steeda tri-ax (I have one on my 'stang) shifter it ain't! All in all, it was fun but the hop killed me, one day when I get the hop not on it I will take it back, I feel its capable of mid 13's even at that elevation. Oh and when I did it it, the car had just over 1000 miles on it, and was bone stock, barely broken in, its definitely faster now than it was even without the exhaust and intake mods I have done.

Good luck and have fun, that's what its all about anyway!

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
After extensive reading upon this forum and that other challenger forum I am not going to head to the track without a few more mods, I'm not interested in going to the track, wheel hopping, running a 14.3 with a 2.2 60 foot, that would just piss me off,
I'm gonna do the hop not stage 1, and start running nitto n555r 305/35-20 drag radials. I am going to run the nitto's on street and strip as this is a weekend warrior, not a daily driver.

Then this car us ready to put down a decent run

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
you need to tell me about it! what rpm did you try launching at, how did that go, what kind of times were you able to pull off?

·
Registered
8,516 Posts
you need to tell me about it! what rpm did you try launching at, how did that go, what kind of times were you able to pull off?
I launch just above idle so I don't break the tires loose then get into it. I heat the tires with traction control off because I have no choice but to drive through the water box. I am running on street tires. I engage the traction control then run the quarter mile. With the traction control off I would chirp in 2nd and 3 rd gears. Here is a link to help you out and if you go to the search option in the Blue Bar you can type in drag racing 6 speed or tips for more information. I hope this helps.

http://www.challengerforumz.com/showthread.php?t=58127&highlight=drag+racing+speed&page=3

There are a bunch people on here that have more experience at this than I and I'm sure they will jump on in and give you some great advice. Good luck to you!

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
I appreciate your info, I am trying to read everyone's advice, I have read 100 posts Id guess, very few people have tried running the 6 speed on street tires,
This car is so different from anything I have driven down a track before, quite a handful with this amount of torque, a 6 speed and street tires (I have the 20 inch firestones). I have driven a faster more powerful car, but it was set up and hooked like a demon.

I am trying to out all this information together so I can join that 13 second club first time out!

I guess my debate now is do I put on the Nitto 555R's on my stock rims (305/35-20) and drive street and strip or buy a set of cobra knock off rims ($129 each) and mount M&H or Hoosiers. ($600)

The Nittos do kind of insure I wont break any half shafts, slicks might break something if I am too aggressive

I kinda like the idea of my weekend warrior driving on the Nittos all the time, but at about $725 a pair, mounted, tax, balanced and out the door and some guys saying they last only 5,000 miles, its kinda steep.(plus I do worry about road hazards)

I am teetering back and forth!

·
Registered
8,516 Posts
Mrchen, There is a guy on here that goes by “williams rt” that appears to have quite a bit of 6 speed racing under his belt. I would recommend that you contact him for some pointers. He is knowledgeable and helpful. I am still running the stock 18” rims with Michelin Pilot street tires plus I have the 373 rear end and if I could afford a set of 17” rims and Nittos that would be the way to go at the strip but not on the street in my opinion because I like to run the twisty roads. I’m still an amateur and between the torque and keeping traction it is tough. I haven’t gotten into the 13’s but I’m close so I hope this spring and summer at a couple of test and tune events I can practice my launching.

·
Registered
4,775 Posts
You call? Lol. The 6 speed at the track has a lot of different factors. The best set up period and easiest on your car is a set of slicks. The flex in the slicks give you more cushing and is easier on your axles and driveshaft than drag radials. The hop not is a waste of money, the problem is not your suspension it is your wheel/ tire combo causing the hop. Now with that being said, I told you there are different factors. Lower hp cars can get by with drag radials,
1. Use 17 or 18" ones.
2. Use 26" diameter to help rear end ratio.
3. Use Hoosier or MTs not nittos.
The higher hp 6 speed cars need slicks, the drag radials will not hook with the hard launches.
The drag radials worked on my car until I got below 12.20s, then they would not hold the 5000 rpm plus launches. I also switched over to drag shocks, axles, drive shaft and rear end at that point too.

Reactions: challengerfan56

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
there's a lot of wisdom in that, the flex in the 17/18 inch REAL drag radials by M&H and Hoosier can sure save some half-shafts! I believe it

I think you've changed my mind, I will keep firestones on the street and hunt some 275 MH and cobra rip offs!
I guess if your going to try and put down your best time you should get the horsepower down on the best contact patch you can get

I appreciate all the info

·
Registered
8,516 Posts
You call? Lol. The 6 speed at the track has a lot of different factors. The best set up period and easiest on your car is a set of slicks. The flex in the slicks give you more cushing and is easier on your axles and driveshaft than drag radials. The hop not is a waste of money, the problem is not your suspension it is your wheel/ tire combo causing the hop. Now with that being said, I told you there are different factors. Lower hp cars can get by with drag radials,
1. Use 17 or 18" ones.
2. Use 26" diameter to help rear end ratio.
3. Use Hoosier or MTs not nittos.
The higher hp 6 speed cars need slicks, the drag radials will not hook with the hard launches.
The drag radials worked on my car until I got below 12.20s, then they would not hold the 5000 rpm plus launches. I also switched over to drag shocks, axles, drive shaft and rear end at that point too.
Phil, thanks for jumping in here and that was great straight to the point information you posted! I greatly appreciate that!

P.S. I have to go back and catch up on your Drag Pak Challenger to check out your progress. Thanks again for the good info!

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
Phil,
would you go with 26 inch ties on my 6 speed (20 inch wheels Gertag 3.92 lsd) or jump on some 28's?

I am not modding much further

(I'm going to order those 17x9 cobra knockoffs)

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
After roughing it these few weeks with the factory 20 inch firestones I decided to install Nitto NT05 drag radials in 275/40-20 size for every day.

My car is for weekends only, Friday and Saturday night, light to light! I am not worried about treadwear ratings.

I am still going to get some 17 inch Cobra knockoffs and run some slicks or near slicks for track days, the car needs some sidewall wrinkle to launch properly. 129 each for the wheels isn't bad, about 260 a tire and I should get many track days out of them

·
Registered
413 Posts
I read in an earlier post you wanted to go 305. They wont fit on the stock 20x8 clads. Even at 275 on that clad you are giving up side wall strength and flex. Be cautious with them. I swapped out the 20x8 for 20x9 and am running 275. Fits perfect, looks right, and I have no concern about sidewall issues.

Track prep makes a big difference too. Some days they prep better than others.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.