Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,410 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, to explain my subject better....I have had my new RT for 1,100 miles after trading an '11 on it. I have several times run the gas down till the indicator light comes in. When I go to fill it, all I can get in the car is 16.5 gallons. I thought these cars had 19.1 gallon tanks. I know on my last challenger I could get 18.xxx gallons in under similar circumstances. Its not because they car is sitting at a weird angle or anything. Also, when it is full (pump kicks off and then even trying to top off) the gauge looks like its just shy of the full mark. Any thoughts on this or similar experiences? My theory is that the gauge needs a calibration and that when the light comes on im not as empty as the gauge is telling me....or the gas tank is smaller than i think

·
Registered
22,663 Posts
Bingo, I just had that experience today when I filled my 2014 up, I couldn't sqeeze anymore in but the gauge shows a bit less than full. I noticed that the last time I filled up too and was thinking that possibly something needed calibrated. However being that we both have 2014's now I'm wondering if it's a problem specific to our model year.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Not sure if this will work on the R/T but I have a '14 RallyeRedline and it works. Can't hurt to give it a shot.

[FONT=&quot]Cluster Range Diagnostic. (Works on all LX models)

1. Be sure key is set to the 'OFF' position.
2. Press and hold the 'Trip Meter Reset' button.
3. Turn the key to 'ON' position.

The gauges will step through the whole range. [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]If a gauge is seems to be "acting up" or not functioning, this is an fast way to see if it's a "sensor" (sender) or a Instrument Cluster gauge[/FONT]

Reactions: oilslick

·
Registered
356 Posts
I believe that at "E" you should have 1.6 to 2.0 gallons of gas as a safety measure. According to spec 19.1 is the size of the tank so at "E" you would only be able to fill 17.1 gallons and if you are not at or bellow then you can see why 16.5 would be the case. I have a 2012 and have never gone past 17.1 or so most of the time 16.? would be the norm. I wouldnt be too concerned with it.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I also have noticed the same thing. personally I think it has something to do with the gas pumps, I have a 03 Silverado and could always fill my 25 gallon tank at least over 24 gallons at empty. the last couple of years I cant get above 23 gallons ,so its not just the Challengers

·
Registered
8,568 Posts
Check on your computer the next time your super low how many miles you have left..... (or does it just read "low fuel" at that point? ) Then it shoud be easy to guesstimate how much is left in the tank.

·
Registered
378 Posts
I've noticed the same thing with my 09 SE, the gas light comes on and I only put 16-16.5 gallons in and to my understanding I have an 18 gallon tank. I just assumed it comes on with 2 gallons left.

·
Premium Member
1,451 Posts
I have a 2010 and I can get the gage to read a needle width's past "F". But I have not gotten to the point that the "Low Fuel" warning light comes on either. I can get my 2011 Durango to go past "F" every time I fill up and I have gotten it into the "Low Fuel" light range.

·
Registered
12 Posts
My experience with low fuel lights is that they come on while you still have at least 2 gallons left - which is good, since you wouldn't want it to come on only when you have 5 miles left before sucking vapor.

·
Registered
291 Posts
I believe that at "E" you should have 1.6 to 2.0 gallons of gas as a safety measure. According to spec 19.1 is the size of the tank so at "E" you would only be able to fill 17.1 gallons and if you are not at or bellow then you can see why 16.5 would be the case. I have a 2012 and have never gone past 17.1 or so most of the time 16.? would be the norm. I wouldnt be too concerned with it.
This may sound silly to some, but I rarely put more than 10 gallons in the car for several reasons. The most important is that if your tank is always about half full instead of full, you aren't carrying around that excess weight and might improve MPG by as much as 1 MPG.

Second reason is that if you do not drive your car on a daily basis (mine is driven less than 300 miles per month), you have less chance of having your gas go stale. We had a situation here where the gasoline supplied by Exxon actually had some impurities in it that damaged some cars' engines. The refinery rushed new gasoline to the affected stations, and issued directions to people who had bought gasoline from a whole list of retailers that they had provided. They instructed that drivers should dilute the contaminated gas by capping off their tanks every day, thus blending the good gas into the bad as quickly as possible.

Third reason is that seasonal rates of gas prices fluctuate almost daily here. If you don't keep a full tank, you can take advantage of these fluctuations when they move in your favor.

The most gas I have ever been able to get into my 2010 R/T was a bit shy of 16 gallons when I took it on a trip to Alabama.

·
Registered
600 Posts
I thought these cars had 19.1 gallon tanks. I know on my last challenger I could get 18.xxx gallons in under similar circumstances. Its not because they car is sitting at a weird angle or anything. Also, when it is full (pump kicks off and then even trying to top off) the gauge looks like its just shy of the full mark. Any thoughts on this or similar experiences? My theory is that the gauge needs a calibration and that when the light comes on im not as empty as the gauge is telling me....or the gas tank is smaller than i think
I would not worry about the guage not reading exactly FULL, if it bugs you then get the dealer/repair shop to fix it.
Your OTHER Challenger needed the tank "calibrated" if it had 1 gallon or less when the light came ON.
Drive your car until it sputters and dies...then you can get 18+ gallons in it!!!

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
Just curious...what color is the Low Fuel Light? I've never seen it...I fill when I hit half tank.

·
What's Old is New Again!
39,516 Posts
1 - 15 of 15 Posts