Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've Watched at least 5 videos on YouTube on how to take the plug out of the headlights so I could install a hellcat cold air intake tube on my 2019 Scat Pack.

Mine will not budge. Looks like 3 tiny Phillips head screws hold it in looking at it from the rear.
There's also a red O ring between the housing and the cap.
I even tried a screwdriver and rubber mallet to take it out from the back but that did not work...HELP.......

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hey bud
It’s a super small torx bit
I had to use a 1/4 inch drive ratchet on a couple due to clearance
I have a wide body scat pack
I had to shorten the air tube by approx .75 inch
I also had to remove bolt to coolant recovery tank and slightly slot the mount on the tank so the filter lid could open and close properly
When the bolt is returned it hides the slot
Also after I got the torx screws out
It was still a booger to twist the cap off
There is an o-ring in there that did a good job sealing it off!
All said and done it looks and works like stock.
Let us know how it goes

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hey bud
It’s a super small torx bit
I had to use a 1/4 inch drive ratchet on a couple due to clearance
I have a wide body scat pack
I had to shorten the air tube by approx .75 inch
I also had to remove bolt to coolant recovery tank and slightly slot the mount on the tank so the filter lid could open and close properly
When the bolt is returned it hides the slot
Also after I got the torx screws out
It was still a booger to twist the cap off
There is an o-ring in there that did a good job sealing it off!
All said and done it looks and works like stock.
Let us know how it goes
I did this this morning, and am just reading your reply....... Now I wish I would have waited!

10mm torx, had to shorten tube, just winged it no prior measurements.

Also had to move coolent recovery tank out of the way....

Those 2 screws took me about 25 minutes to remove because I had to do it 1/4 turn at a time and I cut my hand also doing it..

What the hell was Dodge thinking when they did this to us!

·
Registered
5 Posts
I did this this morning, and am just reading your reply....... Now I wish I would have waited!

Those 2 screws took me about 25 minutes to remove because I had to do it 1/4 turn at a time and I cut my hand also doing it..

I am sorry
But it makes me feel better.
I was real nervous cutting a new part and messing with a brand new car!
In the end I think it’s worth the effort

·
Registered
57 Posts

I cut my thumb and gave up today morning. :/

·
Registered
237 Posts
Is there a significant enough performance gain to do this mod?

·
Registered
298 Posts
I've Watched at least 5 videos on YouTube on how to take the plug out of the headlights so I could install a hellcat cold air intake tube on my 2019 Scat Pack.

Mine will not budge. Looks like 3 tiny Phillips head screws hold it in looking at it from the rear.
I even tried a screwdriver and rubber mallet to take it out from the back but that did not work...HELP.......
I found out there are two small allen key set screws set at the 3 and 9 oclock positions. To hook up the air tube for the hellcat airbox, you have to remove these small set screws. I was only able to remove one and the other about 3/4's of the way out. The "end cap" that covers the port, I found out by trial and error..that it "pops" out if you use a small screwdriver (carefully pry near the lip of the cap) or use a trim tool. The cap pops right off. It prying the end cap with either a screw driver or trim tool, work your way along the top carefully. It will come right off and open up for the airtube. Also the AFE airtube will not work (not unless you want to trim some the air tube off where it connects to the headlight assembly. Most I have read use the MOPAR intake tube. Its expensive (around 65.00 on amazon). I hope this helps...those two small screws are a pain the A** to remove...don't know why Dodge put them in there.

·
Registered
180 Posts
I did a video on mine showing exactly some of the issues I had with it and how it comes off. Make sure you do not pinch any of the wires at the bottom and notice where I had to notch some plastic.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Well they use the fine pitch Torx screw in plastic so once you started the screw you cannot finger loosen very difficult to turn then I didn't know that I had to twist after that then came the issue where I didn't have the box all the way down I think the wires that run right by the opening got trapped between the rubber on the bottom of the air intake and the metal frame.
One other thing that I didn't show in the video is when I couldn't close the Box correctly I actually removed the hell cat box and tried to close the top on to the bottom outside the vehicle just to see how it fit that's when I noticed I had to get rid of those tabs but now I think if I had to do it again and I had a mini socket Torx wrench if they make one it wouldn't take all that long but you do need to take your time and do these projects right afterall a new car you don't want to mess something up.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I used this driver and a #10 torx, had it off in less than 5 minutes.

Kobalt-35-Piece-Standard-SAE-and-Metric-Polished-Chrome-Mechanic-s-Tool-Set/3387640
Sorry for resurrecting an old thread but just wanted to comment on this for people like me who drop anything they are doing as soon as they receive their hellcat box and actually drive out to Lowe's in the middle of the night to get this exact kit to find out that it does not work. It does not have a T10 TORX bit, smallest one in the kit is too big for the screws.

Luckily I tried it out on the parking lot before returning back home and found out it won't work so I got back to Lowe's and managed to get the screws off with the help of this guy; Kobalt-8-key-Folding-Hex-Key-Set/999954582
I had to remove the T10 bit from the grip though and just use by twisting it with my fingers as when it was attached to the tool it was a PITA or impossible to fit in and maneuver around to unscrew those little suckers.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Here's my own video on how to install the Hellcat airbox on 2019 RT Scatpack WB
You do not have to cut any parts at all if you purchase the correct ones. In my video, you can see part numbers on the labels.
You do need the T10 Torx bit and a small ratching box wrench is helpful to turn the bit.
I know it's boring so just skip to whatever you want.

Bill B.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Here's my own video on how to install the Hellcat airbox on 2019 RT Scatpack WB
You do not have to cut any parts at all if you purchase the correct ones. In my video, you can see part numbers on the labels.
You do need the T10 Torx bit and a small ratching box wrench is helpful to turn the bit.
I know it's boring so just skip to whatever you want.

Bill B.
Yes, I ended up not cutting anything out as the original box has those notches as well. What helped getting the top nicely to sit on top and slide in was unscrewing the coolant container so there is more room to work with :)

·
Registered
133 Posts

I did this a few months ago on my 2019 Widebody. I got lucky and have a laptop screwdriver which has a miniature "star" bit which fit those 2 tiny screws on the sides of the headlight cap. I went to lowes and bought the smallest ratchet they had. I put the small bit into the ratchet.....still took me 20min to get those screws out. Maybe try to find a local computer repair shop?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts