Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What's everybody's opinion on car bras? I like the look myself. Old school but I think they look kool.

·
Administrator
2016 Challenger Scat Pack Shaker
53,693 Posts
They actually do serve a function (car bras). They really do keep stone chips from happening. However I found rain and dust with one on the car is not a good thing. I never saw one on a car in the late 60s or early 70s so I don't think they are old school.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
By old school I meant 80s. Every car had a bra back then. Anyway it came in handy during a road trip to Monterey on highway 1.

·
Knight of the black asphalt.
8,582 Posts
Yes they are very old school 80's They flop up and down causing paint damage, dirt gets under them and scratches the clear coat. Not a fan at all.
Check into clear bra for the areas you are thinking of covering by a black bra.

·
Registered
591 Posts
^^^ What he said!!! The one and only time I used a bra on a car was my shiny new '92 Camaro Z28, and the damage done by dirt that got under it, even after washing and waxing, far negated any benefit gained by dodging stone chip damage, bugs or otherwise.

No bra for my car, although the clear bra option looks promising (if kinda pricey).

·
Business
21,299 Posts
image.jpeg I bought one for my 2013 Challenger. Never had any paint damage what so ever! Used on vacation every year! If your stupid and don't take it off and clean under it sure you will have paint damage. I ever took it on dirt roads either. If the hood piece starts to flop you just pull over and pull the straps tight no more flop! Use to go up and visit the kids might have to tighten the hood straps once in 400 miles.

·
Premium Member
2014 SRT-8
8,097 Posts
I had one for long vacation trips in a 05 Monte Carlo as soon I came home it came off.Never had any damage to speak off.It might depend on the quality of the bra factory verses JC Whitney.

Reactions: nunya

·
Premium Member
17,675 Posts
Always used a bra on all my cars in the 80's....my IROC, my Corvette and my RS. Never had any issues with damage, although I used them properly. Today however, I would use a 3M clear bra instead.

·
Premium Member
2014 SRT-8
8,097 Posts
Yea something about a car in a black bra really turns me on.

·
Premium Member
12,535 Posts

·
"Turn on, tune in, drop out"
17,165 Posts
I had one on a Camry that was functional for bugs. I wouldn't put one on my Challenger.

·
Waiting for beautiful fall colors!
2020 Go Mango Scat Pack
28,441 Posts

·
Dazed & Confused
36,582 Posts
I have one that I use for only two reasons, long trip on the highway to keep bugs & stone chips down and if I need drive a while to a car show for the same reason (reduces cleaning time). Once I get there the bra comes off and will not go back on the car until it's been thoroughly cleaned due to reasons as said above. You'd be surprised how much dust & dirt will collect behind it while driving down the road. I do not recommend leaving one on all the time.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts