Car came back worse than it went in +damage

Discussion in 'Dodge Challenger Dealer Issues' started by Juicemane, Jun 5, 2017.

1. Juicemane

Juicemane New Member Military

Vehicle?:
    Challenger
    Trim?:
    SRT-8
    Color?:
    Maximum Steel
    Transmission?:
    6-Speed
    So I've had an issue with my 16 Challenger SRT M6 since the day I bought it. I've had rattling in the rear driver's side pillar trim and finally went in to get it taken care of. They agreed that it was a problem and were going to take care of it under warranty. I dropped it off for a whole day and finally got a call that evening to pick it up.
    I showed up to the dealership and they said they replaced the trim piece but there was still rattling and the next step was to replace the rear deck to see if that would resolve the issue. It was dark as it was the end of the day so I went home. The trim still rattled and actually sounded worse than the original piece but whatever they were going to keep looking into it. As soon as I got home I was stepping out of my car in my garage and noticed that they had put a deep scratch in my door sill, revealing the metal underneath. I immediately called the service rep who I usually work with and he asked me to send him a picture to his cell phone and he assured me he would take care of me. I did and have not heard from him since.(this was about a week and a half ago) On top of that it seems like their techs don't use gloves. Both times I left my car there it was returned with oily smudges all over the door handles and windows. This level of service is absurd considering this is a $50k+ car. My problem doesn't resolved, and there is damage to my paint. What are my options? Do I submit a complaint to FCA, SRT?? What can I do? I don't even know if I would want this dealership to even be near my car with paint after what I've seen.

Picture of scratch attached.
    image1.png

2. 245pacer

245pacer Active Member Site Supporter Level 3 MOTM Winner!

Media:
    Albums:
    Vehicle?:
    SRT
    Trim?:
    SRT-8
    Color?:
    Sublime
    Transmission?:
    Auto
    Get on to SRT straight away , these morons will make you chase them for a resolution. SRT will give them the motivation they need . Being nice will get you exactly nowhere .
    I'm about to go back to the dealer that scratched my car through laziness. Not because I want to but because at leased they didn't lie to my face about unnecessary jobs being performed on my car like the last one . And they now know I'm a fussy bastard that would prefer they didn't scratch my car .
    By the way after three months of chasing them about the two scratches on my car I chose to do nothing as painting it would not have been a good outcome for my car .
    Sorry Bud your in a tough spot .

3. cdahl383

cdahl383 Senior Member MOTM Winner!

Media:
    Albums:
    Vehicle?:
    2015 Challenger
    Trim?:
    R/T Scat Pack
    Color?:
    Sublime
    Transmission?:
    8-Speed Auto
    I'd try to find someone higher up in the chain of command and complain to them, see what happens. That's ridiculous. This is why I stay away from dealerships. I haven't had my car back there since I bought it on day one. There are some decent dealerships out there but most seem to be pretty careless.

Hopefully you can get somewhere. Otherwise maybe you can use Dr Colorchip to make it look a little better, or put a sill plate over it. Good thing that's not on the fender, hood, door, etc. But that kind of thing should not happen at all, that's just being careless.

I hope you get somewhere with this. Sounds like a pretty crappy dealership based on what you've said though. Makes you wonder if you really want them doing the work to fix it.

Home Theater Guy and Juicemane like this.
  4. Bee Keeper 16

Bee Keeper 16 Aspire to inspire before we expire. Site Supporter Level 1 Member Relations MOTM Winner! Public Safety

Vehicle?:
    Challenger
    Model Year?:
    Trim?:
    R/T Scat Pack Shaker
    Color?:
    Plum Crazy
    Transmission?:
    8-Speed Auto
    Agreed. Climb the ladder until you get the service that you deserve. Keep good records too.

5. Juicemane

Vehicle?:
    Challenger
    Trim?:
    SRT-8
    Color?:
    Maximum Steel
    Transmission?:
    6-Speed
    Thank you all for the fast responses. As far as climbing up the ladder what outcomes should I look for? I mean ideally I'd want it fixed, but like the rest of you I'm not sure I want them putting their hands on my paint AT ALL. Any suggestions as to what I should request as an outcome or resolution?

6. 245pacer

245pacer Active Member Site Supporter Level 3 MOTM Winner!

Media:
    Albums:
    Vehicle?:
    SRT
    Trim?:
    SRT-8
    Color?:
    Sublime
    Transmission?:
    Auto
    The problem with painting it is even if they get it perfect and don't cock anything up in the process ( good luck with that ) is that it will never be as strong and resistant to further damage as the factory paint .
    Which is why I have chosen to leave mine and youse Dr color chip . I think the best you can hope to gain for there negligence is some form of compensation as IMO it just can not be fixed .
    Mine dealer offered me a dealer sign for my garage which was pretty unsatisfactory but I was sick of dealing with it and just had to move on for my own sanity .

baggerjack and smunczen like this.
  7. smunczen

smunczen Member

Vehicle?:
    16 challenger
    Trim?:
    R/T Scat Pack
    Color?:
    Redline Red
    Transmission?:
    6-Speed
    I'd just touch it up. If they can't replace trim panels correctly just think about how they would fix that scratch.

Juicemane and Home Theater Guy like this.
  8. Home Theater Guy

Home Theater Guy 2012 RT Redline Tri Coat Site Supporter Level 5 MOTM Winner! Military

Media:
    Albums:
    Vehicle?:
    Challenger
    Model Year?:
    Trim?:
    R/T Classic
    Color?:
    Redline Red
    Transmission?:
    6-Speed
    Get them to pay for the damages, fix it yourself and keep the money.

FastMikeR1 likes this.
  9. Juicemane

Vehicle?:
    Challenger
    Trim?:
    SRT-8
    Color?:
    Maximum Steel
    Transmission?:
    6-Speed
    How would that work exactly?? Thanks.

10. Home Theater Guy

Home Theater Guy 2012 RT Redline Tri Coat Site Supporter Level 5 MOTM Winner! Military

Media:
    Albums:
    Vehicle?:
    Challenger
    Model Year?:
    Trim?:
    R/T Classic
    Color?:
    Redline Red
    Transmission?:
    6-Speed
    Small claims court

11. HemiMetal

HemiMetal Mopartial to Challengers Member Relations Photo Winner! MOTM Winner!

Media:
    Albums:
    Vehicle?:
    2013 Challenger
    Trim?:
    R/T Classic
    Color?:
    Pitch Black
    Transmission?:
    Auto
    Get a written quote from a high end detailer and present it to the dealership. Even if they cut the check to the detailer instead of you, you will at least get your scratch repaired by a professional. It's worth a shot.

FastMikeR1 likes this.
  12. baggerjack

baggerjack Active Member Site Supporter Level 1 MOTM Winner! Military

Media:
    Albums:
    Vehicle?:
    2016 CHALLENGER
    Trim?:
    R/T Plus
    Color?:
    Granite Crystal
    Transmission?:
    8-Speed Auto
    I like that - they screw up your car and as a bonus they give you signage to advertise for them to all your friends!! I would have had some choice answers to that!!

FastMikeR1 likes this.
  13. FastMikeR1

FastMikeR1 Active Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Vehicle?:
    2016 Challenger
    Trim?:
    SRT Hellcat
    Color?:
    Go Mango
    Transmission?:
    6-Speed
    So sad that we are in that age who's everyone else property isn't sacred anymore. People are so careless even with they own things. Imagine when it is not theirs. I remember when i was working in a body shop, we always tried and to do our best and sometimes a bit more that what the consumer asked. Just to make sure he/she was happy and might come back if any other problems occur. File a complaint, get your car fixed up correctly,not necessarily from that dealer. Your car was new and it should come back to you as new .Just my opinion.

Juicemane likes this.
  14. ArchGE

ArchGE Member

Media:
    Vehicle?:
    2015 SRT 392
    Color?:
    Black
    Transmission?:
    8-Speed Auto
    I've had similar issues with a dealer and service. Instead of wasting time and aggravation, I just bashed them on Yelp then found another place I'm happy with (so far) :)

FastMikeR1 and Home Theater Guy like this.
  15. maa5344

maa5344 New Member Site Supporter Level 1

Vehicle?:
    Challenger
    Trim?:
    SRT-8
    Color?:
    Stinger Yellow
    Transmission?:
    Auto
    Unacceptable, but rather than let them repaint the sill and make it worse you may want to consider touching up the scratch to prevent rust and covering the entire area with a door sill. It is a nice mod and will cover up any sign of the touched up area.

As far as the rattle is concerned, I would take the car to a reputable body shop and have them diagnose and resolve the problem. I would then take the bill to the dealer for reimbursement. After all, you will be saving them money by not having to repaint the sill. If they refuse to pay, I would then escalate the problem up the chain of command.

After all, they were given a chance and failed miserably.

Good luck!

FastMikeR1 likes this.