Dodge Challenger Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Trying to find a way to keep my car from being stolen. Done searches, yes I’m looking at a car alarm/immobilizer/tracker. But I’m wanting something old school!!!

Have any of you looked into/done the old school cutoff ignition or starter switches?

Like the Vettes had in the 70’s that involved a key. I would think, if theis a device, it would be remote.

I look at it that if someone really wants it and the know how to bypass the factor system and car alarm/immobilizer/tracker, they would have to figure out the cutoff or get a rollback or wrecker.

·
Registered
2020 Challenger R/T Scat Pack
244 Posts
There's many threads on this issue with all sorts of possible solutions.

-Removing the fuel pump relay fuse, or adding an inline switch for it.
-Turning off the keyless FOB proximity sensors.
-Adding a shock/tilt sensor to the existing OE FCA alarm.
-Having the recently announced FCA security updates done.
-The way you park your car and the orientation of the front wheels.
-Leaving an angry German Shepherd in the car.
-The list goes on.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
All these options have ran thru my skull.
The list was FAH (Funny As Hell)!!!!

I’m in a 2012 R/T. The updates don’t help me. They only go back to 2015.

You’d think there would be some crazy ass out there that developed a remote kill switch device.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
As to the Magna Volt, the give a way would be the generator running beside the car!!!!😊

·
Mopartial to Challengers
2015 SRT Hellcat
10,599 Posts
Trying to find a way to keep my car from being stolen.
Try this

Just an FYI. If you have remote start, you lose that feature with this solution.

·
Premium Member
2,356 Posts
they are still around? i haven't seen a ravelco since i installed one in my '79 trans am back in '85. i don't remember how long it took to have it installed, but, had several dozen broken windows, radios stolen, speakers ripped out and two broken steering columns, but the car was still there.

Reactions: TITANIUM

·
Premium Member
2016 Dodge Challenger R/T Plus in Granite Crystal Metallic
2,135 Posts
they are still around? i haven't seen a ravelco since i installed one in my '79 trans am back in '85. i don't remember how long it took to have it installed, but, had several dozen broken windows, radios stolen, speakers ripped out and two broken steering columns, but the car was still there.
I had a Chapman Lock in one of my cars. Never really used it, BUT one time I had a feeling and used it. Get back to the car after work and sure enough the door cylinder is tampered with and the steering column broken. Used the lock every time since that incident.

Did the fuel pump relay fuse thing in another car and forgot a few times and tried to start the car. Fouled a set of plugs in the process.

·
Premium Member
5,244 Posts
This is not rocket science. You get one of these. It's a simple method and can work for 99% of car owners. But, please read everything in the description.

Now..... If you want to spend a little more money and make your car the only way to be stolen is by it being towed, read on. This method will make your car a 2 ton piece of dead iron. Not even lights will come on. However, your PCM memory will remain intact. This is what you need....

Now, because this kills the entire vehicle, you don't want your car to relearn all the adaptives every time you start the vehicle. This is where an auto electric expert comes in. You need a jumper wire from the positive post before the relay to enter the rear fuse box and connect to the power feed to the PCM. With this system you have the best of both worlds. My Son's Hellcat has this last system. Even if a thief gets into the car, nothing can be done because the car is totally dead. Nothing turns on.
-John

·
Premium Member
2015 R/T 5.7L A8
3,800 Posts
That's why we pay for full coverage car insurance! :)

It is just a flipping car, get another one!

My aunt just went through this, the insurance company paid for her a rental car, and took care of repairing her car as is was cost repairable. Just hope if yours is stolen and you are fully insured it is totaled.

·
Premium Member
2,639 Posts
I live in a very safe part of the country but still exercise caution. Park in well lit, visible areas if possible. I also use a “club” which won’t stop a serious thief but will slow someone down who is just looking for a quick joy ride.

·
Premium Member
2,356 Posts
That's why we pay for full coverage car insurance! :)

It is just a flipping car, get another one!

My aunt just went through this, the insurance company paid for her a rental car, and took care of repairing her car as is was cost repairable. Just hope if yours is stolen and you are fully insured it is totaled.
maybe in your town it works to your advantage, but in n.y. and in florida, your rates will go up depending on where you live, if it is garaged, alarmed, protected from godzilla, blah blah blah. but you are right in getting full coverage

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
TheOldGuy you know what I’m after. Thank you Sir for this information. I’m headed down this road.

I do watch how and where I park, I do have insurance, I am aware of all that can happen, but like what Maxedwell said “Exercising Caution”. Nothing wrong with preparedness!

·
Registered
195 Posts
im thinking any decent alarm has a starter disable circuit in it. not hard to find the relay under the hood and wire in line with the relay coil

·
Premium Member
2016 Dodge Challenger R/T Plus in Granite Crystal Metallic
2,135 Posts
im thinking any decent alarm has a starter disable circuit in it. not hard to find the relay under the hood and wire in line with the relay coil
Most aftermarket car security systems are spliced in to the wiring under the dash, usually near the steering column. Some newer designs are mfgd for specific makes/models and are plug n play to avoid cutting wires. Adding an aftermarket security system may be counter productive on cars that already have a factory system. The starter relay cut off is a good alternative and quite easy to do.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Most aftermarket car security systems are spliced in to the wiring under the dash, usually near the steering column. Some newer designs are mfgd for specific makes/models and are plug n play to avoid cutting wires. Adding an aftermarket security system may be counter productive on cars that already have a factory system. The starter relay cut off is a good alternative and quite easy to do.
im not sure what sort of security system you think your dodge comes with from the factory, but it only appears to be minimal and certainly no starter disable. to be honest it is pathetic, and these cars are being stolen easily by thieves all over the country.

As for a aftermarket system they can be spliced in anywhere the installer deems to be a good spot, the better the installer the more unlikely the thief is to find and disable the system.
Im not willing to give up my remote start so a simple switch is out of the question.

·
Registered
2,324 Posts
All of this means little if you are carjacked.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts