Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not sure how my car's info is going to appear, being that this is my first post on this website, but I have a 2015 Dodge Challenger SXT. Lately, let's say I'm going about 50+ mph; when I begin to break, my car feels like it's driving on that bumpy area on the shoulder, even when I'm on a nice road.

I took my car to a Firestone last weekend to get an oil change and overall look at the issues I'm writing about now, and the mechanic said that he didn't see anything wrong with the brakes; nothing wrong with the brake pads or anything like that. I'm not sure why it's driving like this, but nothing visible is showing displaying this issue.

In tandem with this, a month or so ago, I was riding around a round corner and I turned too quickly and the right side of my car hit the curb pretty hard. Not sure if I need an alignment, but again, Firestone said they didn't see anything wrong. Maybe this affected the brakes (not sure)?

Post-note: I'm completely oblivious to cars and trying to learn, hence why I joined this forum. I'm hoping through here, I can get more familiar with terminologies regarding my Challenger and cars in general.

I appreciate any and all insight!

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
I think you need another place to look at it. Something is wrong. If they didn't put it on a machine to check alignment they wouldn't know. How many miles on the car? Could be warped rotors. It takes more than a look to check this stuff.
This.

You could have a worn front end component but more than likely it could be a warped rotor. That being said...get a second opinion reguardless.
A warped rotor can not be checked by an eyeball...it takes a dial indicator.

An alignment issue needs to be addressed by an alignment machine. Abnormal tire wear can be an indicator but the machine tells the truth.

I would also consider finding a place that has a road force style wheel balancer. It actually places a load on the tire while on the machine. It can tell you if there is a tire issue. Most can also measure rim run out and determine if there is an issue with the rim as well.

·
Slower Traffic Keep Right
5,456 Posts
Welcome to the site!!

I was leaning like most here in the warped rotor direction... or something with the brakes... if you were getting the vibrations at any speed I would be inclined towards the suspension... but like already mentioned... it wouldn't hurt to have a trusted shop put it on a alignment machine/tires balanced... were your wheels damaged when you hit the curb?

Reactions: baggerjack

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I think you need another place to look at it. Something is wrong. If they didn't put it on a machine to check alignment they wouldn't know. How many miles on the car? Could be warped rotors. It takes more than a look to check this stuff.
Thanks for the info! A coworker of mine mentioned this to me as well as mentioning it could be something with ABS which would be an electrical problem, but I'm leaning more towards it being a warped rotor problem. My Challenger has about 36K miles on it. And I agree that I should take it somewhere else, but I don't know a personal mechanic. I've only been to places like Pepboys, Jiffy Lube, and Firestone. I guess I would have to do more research on reliable car-savvy people.

·
Premium Member
2014 SRT-8
8,179 Posts
Thanks for the info! A coworker of mine mentioned this to me as well as mentioning it could be something with ABS which would be an electrical problem, but I'm leaning more towards it being a warped rotor problem. My Challenger has about 36K miles on it. And I agree that I should take it somewhere else, but I don't know a personal mechanic. I've only been to places like Pepboys, Jiffy Lube, and Firestone. I guess I would have to do more research on reliable car-savvy people.
Where do you live.Stay away form the three you listed.

·
Registered
3,830 Posts
Normally a warped rotor will only be felt in the brake pedal and maybe the steering wheel. You won't usually feel it in the seat of your pants unless its really bad. My wifes 300C had the front rotors warped some and it only had 50,000 miles on it. She is also a little hard on the brakes sometimes.

·
Premium Member
2014 SRT-8
8,179 Posts
Hi Dave, I don't feel comfortable saying exactly where I live in New Jersey. Where do you suggest I bring my car to? I'm open to any recommendations.
It's kind of hard to recommend somebody if you won't tell me where you live.I wasn't looking for your street address,just a general idea.I don't know why you would feel uncomfortable giving me your address,some people say I'm a nut job but what do they know.

·
Premium Member
6,093 Posts
You should take a good look at that wheel that hit the curb. A damaged wheel could also account for your problem. Maybe swap it with the rear wheel and test drive it again to see if problem moves.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
You should take a good look at that wheel that hit the curb. A damaged wheel could also account for your problem. Maybe swap it with the rear wheel and test drive it again to see if problem moves.
I hit the curb while making a right turn so it would the front right wheel, but I can feel it on the driver's side.

Forgot to mention that the light about having low tire-pressure came on recently. I filled up the tires to ~40-45 PSI, but I think I should lower them to 32 PSI being that that's the recommendation on the car.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
It's kind of hard to recommend somebody if you won't tell me where you live.I wasn't looking for your street address,just a general idea.I don't know why you would feel uncomfortable giving me your address,some people say I'm a nut job but what do they know.
I'm in the Hudson County area. Know of any dependable people/places there?

·
Knight of the black asphalt.
8,582 Posts
Get a second opinion. Visually you can't tell is the rotors are warped and the alignment is out. That mechanic is a Chuch.

·
Premium Member
2014 SRT-8
8,179 Posts
I'm in the Hudson County area. Know of any dependable people/places there?
In South Jersey I do.Thats like a different state up there.Maybe somebody that lives up that way will post up a place.

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Set the tire pressure to the correct value before you do anything else.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Set the tire pressure to the correct value before you do anything else.
I changed the tire pressure to 34~35PSI (where I had it in the high 40s previously). It drives a lot better now and braking does seem better as well, but it still seems my brakes aren't as good as they used to be. Still may need to see if my rotors have warped.

·
Premium Member
12,625 Posts
It will be an easy check they just pull the wheels and put the dial indicator to it and they can tell you for sure if you are out of spec. unfortunately it will mean new rotors.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
It will be an easy check they just pull the wheels and put the dial indicator to it and they can tell you for sure if you are out of spec. unfortunately it will mean new rotors.
I would honestly prefer new rotors than continuing to be insecure when braking.

·
Registered
374 Posts
My rotors needed truing after about 35k. I haven't had any trouble with them since...now 106k.
A commodity like a brake rotor is supplied by the lowest bidder. If there is an allowable deviation, the parts will be all over the place quality-wise. I think the combination of the stock rotors and pads were a bad match. So rotors being bad so soon is not out of the question. There is also a trick to breaking in your new pads, but that's another thread.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts