Dodge Challenger Forum banner

Car Won't Start

5K views 11 replies 5 participants last post by  Drewcrane 
#1 ·
Hello All,

Been following for a while but just joined today. Anyway, I have a question I hope someone can help with...

I have a '70 Challenger R/T 383 w/ pistol grip 4-spd. Until recently, the car had been starting and driving fine until I tried to start it a couple of weeks ago and nothing! Unfortunately the car only gets driven a couple times a month but hopefully that will change.

Anyway, a little history on the car; purchased 6 months ago with a fairly decent restoration of about 7 years from what I can determine, numbers matching motor and trans. that appear to be stock (don't know any specs on engine), electronic ignition, clutch safety switch, wiring appears to be fine and a new battery (2 days old).

When I attempt to start the car, there is absolutely nothing, the starter doesn't turn, the relay doesn't chatter, nothing; however, the dome light works, clock works, headlights work, as does the buzzer for the 'key in ignition'. A couple of weird things though; the radio doesn't work with the key in the "on" or "acc" position and the reverse lights don't work when in the "on" position.

When I jump the starter relay with a screw driver, the starter turns over at normal speed but it still won't start (this is with the key in the "on" position). My suspicion is either the ignition switch or the clutch safety switch??? I also checked the fusible link and it is ok. I have checked all of the fuses and verified power at the bulkhead connector. Any input on this would be great as I miss driving the car and am getting frustrated.

Thank you in advance for the help. Once I figure out how, I will get some pictures posted.

See less See more
Discussion starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the quick response! I have looked at these things but will check again. Could it possibly be the clutch safety switch? Kinda leaning towards the ignition switch though. Any way to bypass the ignition and see if it will start?

Discussion starter · #5 ·
Not to sound like an idiot, but what is the best way to bypass the ignition? Also, to check the clutch safety switch, can I just remove the wires on the switch and connect them together?

Discussion starter · #11 ·
Hey guys,

Thanks for all the help. I finally was able to spend some time with the car and found a couple of things. First, the clutch safety switch appears to be ok; I disconnected it and used an ohm meter and all is good. Unfortunately, I pulled the two harness connectors apart under the dash by the steering column and the power wire (red) from the wire harness leading to the steering column was burnt inside the connector. I spliced the two red wires together and tried to start the car and nothing! I jumped the solenoid on the firewall and the car fired right up.

So....I need to replace the harness that is cooked and also the ignition switch since that is the only thing else it could be (at least I am able to get the car started now). With all of your help, I was able to troubleshoot the problems and get the car running. Thanks again for the insight and leading me to the issue(s).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.