Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Before I get hate:

-I’ve searched this and multiple other forums before making an account and posting this
-I’m aware of the environmental impact of cat removal, every thread about it is clogged with people berating others for removing cats
-I’m removing them because I need to put on test pipes and see how bad the blockage in my passenger side catalytic converter is and if I need to replace it. This is not permanent, I am throwing a code and wish to check it.

My questions are pretty simple and short.

Will the car run with the cats off? I know some cars go into limp mode when the cats are off.

If it’ll run, will I have any issues running the car with the cats off other than the expected noise/MPG change? This is not permanent, so it will not be tuned, and the sensors won’t be turned off. I don’t care about a CEL, so I won’t be using anti-foulers either.

I want to remove the cats for testing, I don’t care about emissions or legality or any of that, it’s temporary. I just want to check how bad the issue with my current cat is without spending much money, hence the no tuning or anything.

Car is a 08 srt8 Challenger, 6.1 with auto.

·
Premium Member
6,789 Posts
Summit has a sale on Hi-flo cats right now..

·
Premium Member
6,789 Posts
Check out Big Daddies Garage, shows mini cats you can use to keep your car from running in limp mode. I don't know if anyone has tried them, maybe someone can chime in!

·
Premium Member
3,610 Posts
Much easier way. Unscrew the oxygen sensor before the cat on that side. Plug in a pressure gauge. Yes it will start and run. If the pressure is over 3.5 PSI the cat is bad. No need to do expensive work. A plugged cat with a still able to idle engine will see about 7 to 10 PSI. New cat time.

-John

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
Before I get hate:

-I’ve searched this and multiple other forums before making an account and posting this
-I’m aware of the environmental impact of cat removal, every thread about it is clogged with people berating others for removing cats
-I’m removing them because I need to put on test pipes and see how bad the blockage in my passenger side catalytic converter is and if I need to replace it. This is not permanent, I am throwing a code and wish to check it.

My questions are pretty simple and short.

Will the car run with the cats off? I know some cars go into limp mode when the cats are off.

If it’ll run, will I have any issues running the car with the cats off other than the expected noise/MPG change? This is not permanent, so it will not be tuned, and the sensors won’t be turned off. I don’t care about a CEL, so I won’t be using anti-foulers either.

I want to remove the cats for testing, I don’t care about emissions or legality or any of that, it’s temporary. I just want to check how bad the issue with my current cat is without spending much money, hence the no tuning or anything.

Car is a 08 srt8 Challenger, 6.1 with auto.
No need to test anything. If a converter is even partially blocked it should be replaced. The error code (P0420/P0430 I suspect) already tells you the converter is operating below efficiency.

(The SOP is if the engine controller throws a P0420/P0430 and it the code is accompanied by any O2 sensor errors to replace the indicated sensors, clear the codes, road test the car. If the converter error comes back to replace the indicated converter.)

(Have to mention, if the code is not P0420/P0430 the problem may not be with the converter and you may be barking up the wrong tree.)

A misbehaving converter can have the engine fueling less than ideal as the engine controller will "play" with the fueling in an attempt to get the proper #2 O2 sensor voltage reading it expects.

Check with Dodge but the converter might have an 8 year (federal mandated) warranty on it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts