Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
how can you tell if the catalytic converter is plugged?? Will the evic put up a code? My 2008 only has 15,000 miles but I swear there are times when I get on it, it has a smell.

·
Administrator
2016 Challenger Scat Pack Shaker
49,525 Posts
I had a car with a plugged cat once... Believe me you wouldn't be able to "get it on"... No power what so ever is what I experienced...
I have a coworker that has a Ram with 200k miles and just had to have one replaced and had the same issue no power.

Reactions: shooterjgs

·
Registered
494 Posts
Ahh, the wonderful smell of rotten eggs!!
As others have stated, if it is plugged, you would have a serious decrease in performance.
If you don't have a reduction in power and aren't throwing codes, I wouldn't worry too much about it. Catalytic converter are just like men: Sometimes they just smell.

·
Registered
2,284 Posts
Ahh, the wonderful smell of rotten eggs!!
As others have stated, if it is plugged, you would have a serious decrease in performance.
If you don't have a reduction in power and aren't throwing codes, I wouldn't worry too much about it. Catalytic converter are just like men: Sometimes they just smell.
LOL... :)

·
Premium Member
5,606 Posts
Besides serious loss of power - if they glow in the dark is also a give away!! Found that on a car I was checking while it was sitting on ice. Saw reflection of overheated cats!

·
Premium Member
12,168 Posts
Check engine light will come on if you have an issue with your cats....

1 - 8 of 8 Posts