Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is a basic Speedlogix front engine mount catch can install for a 2013 R/T 5.7L.

Here is a link to the product I used:

http://www.speedlogixstore.com/product-p/sx-dc-cc.htm

CC.jpg

In the above pic, the catch can is the silver object on the right side marked "XS" on the top. Note the routing of the hoses, which you can see clearly in the pic. Unplug the AIT sensor (very close to throttle body w/wire on it). Be careful to put it out of the way and not break or get dirt on it. The catch can threads onto the air intake silencer stud. The silencer must be removed to install this catch can. See below. Stock intake tube, silencer on the left. It looks like a growth of some sort.
Silencer.jpg
Any CAI will not have the silencer on it. So if you installed a CAI, you are good to go. Just above the catch can is where the intake silencer was (top pic). I removed mine with a hack saw and covered the hole is a 2" plumbers pip cap a bought at Lowes for $3.99. The intake tube had to be removed to thread on the catch can - very easy and quick to do. The clearance was close, but worked. Note the hoses can be connected either way. The way I routed the hoses made the engine cover reinstall nicely with no fit issues.

One more thing: In your research, you may find writings on why the intake silencer was there. It helps with air pressure changes, quietness, etc. In my opinion, it makes no difference in interior noise or performance. After all, they are not installed on SRT models or R/T Scat Pak's. Removing it will not hurt your car. I hope you find this useful. Cheers.

·
Premium Member
12,479 Posts
I actually took the easy way out and did the fender instal...

·
Registered
2,735 Posts

·
SX=Modern Mopar Experts
3,961 Posts
Looks great!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Nice! Just bought one of those exact models this week and it is in the mail. Newb question: is there a designated in/out on these catch cans?

·
Registered
298 Posts
I did something a little different with the removal of the intake silencer.
1/2" CPVC cap (not pvc) fits nearly perfectly inside the hole after the silencer is cut off. I used epoxy to seal it in place and used a metal hole plug with the little tabs cut off to finish it off.
View attachment 78445 View attachment 78446
View attachment 78442
I am probably going to go the way you did yours. Simple, easy and cost effective. Did you use a hacksaw to cut off the silencer? I like it. Its clean and can't even tell there was a silencer on the tube.

·
Registered
132 Posts
The 2018 Challenger R/Ts don't have the silencer on the intake tube either from the factory.

·
Registered
298 Posts
1/2" CPVC cap (not pvc) fits nearly perfectly inside the hole after the silencer is cut off. I used epoxy to seal it in place and used a metal hole plug with the little tabs cut off to finish it off.
View attachment 78442
I went and picked up a cap from lowes. To me, in my opinion, the 1/2" was way to small so I bought a 1" cap once I remove the silencer. Also picked up a metal hole plug as well. Thanks for the tip...next weekend I will definitely be removing the silencer from the car.

·
Registered
298 Posts
View attachment 78442
Picked up the parts several days ago....all under $5.00. Now if the dang weather would cooperate...tired of the rain.

·
2012 RT Redline Tri Coat
3,675 Posts

·
Registered
298 Posts
View attachment 78442
Did this mod Tuesday...took less than five minutes or so. Plus a half hour to let the epoxy to set up. Easiest mod I have ever done to a vehicle! Total cost....under $5.00. I used the 1" CPVC plug, the 1/2" was way too small. Thanks for the tip. David

1 - 18 of 18 Posts