Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Waiting for beautiful fall colors!
2020 Go Mango Scat Pack
28,407 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I got the road trip bug again. It just comes on suddenly, I look at the Challenger in the garage and the next thing I know, I am "Rollin' Down the Highway"!
I have been wanting to go into the heart of the Badlands as there is an amazing drive through the National Park that was even more amazing this year, due to all the rain making so much green grass!
Saturday, I visited the North Unit of the Badlands and drove the Badlands Loop Road. If that sounds like fun----it was! Lots of complete U turns, S curves, and many scenic overviews!! The North Unit is 64,000 acres of the most unique and amazing views. The two other units make the combined Badlands more than 240,000 acres!

Now on the trip fun! (More facts later if appropriate).

Photo #1 & 2 - My drive to Interior, SD took about an hour and 30 min. I left with what I thought was enough gas to get through the Badlands, then to Rapid City to refuel the car. By the time I got to Interior, I realized the scenic route might just take a little more fuel. I thought--no problem, surely I can get some premium fuel at Interior, even if it has ethanol. Well coming into Interior, I was like yikes! Population 67!! Do they even has a gas station? Well coming into town rodeo was going on, and there was a good sized country bar. Finally turning a corner, there it was a sort of old style station, with very old pumps! I pulled in and parked. Looked at the old pump and sure enough premium, even without ethanol! How is that possible out here in the absolute middle of nowhere?? I loved the pump sign Cowboy Corner! Pump was too old, had to pay inside with the credit card.
Photo #3 & 4, 5 & 6 - These were my first views of the Badlands, just entering the park. Enjoy. Two more posts to follow.

Attachments

·
What's Old is New Again!
39,461 Posts
Keep 'em coming, Betty!

·
12,989 Posts
Wow Betty!! You do get around, nice pics!!

·
Mopartial to Challengers
2013 Dodge Challenger R/T Classic
9,672 Posts

Hmmm

Bull riding, fireworks, and beer. What could possibly go wrong here? :SHOCKED:

·
2020 Go Mango Scat Pack
28,407 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
More Badlands!

I came upon a beautiful scenic overview and there were four tourists from Kansas outside their cars trying to take a group photo. I immediately volunteered to take the photo so they could all get into one photo. They were very nice, and I took several photos for them. They asked if they could do a photo for me, but I said no I was only here to photograph the Badlands and my car. They loved the car, many compliments from them on the Challenger.
Here are some more shots from the Badlands:

Photos #1, 2 - Beautiful scenery.
Photo # 3 - I could have walked all the way out on this ledge, but the deep drop off at the end stopped me! I have always been afraid of heights! No railings etc. here!
Photos #4,5 & 6 - Just continuing through the park!! Too many photos to choose from!

Attachments

·
Politically correct.
'09 SRT 440 HEMI
11,170 Posts
Great pics again Betty!!!

The Badlands is another place on my bucket list to attend. :smileup:

·
2020 Go Mango Scat Pack
28,407 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The Final Chapter

Something I forgot to mention: it is very hot in the Badlands!! Saturday also just happened to be one of our hottest days this summer. It was about 95 degrees during this tour! I was taking so many stops/pictures that I finally left the car running so I could keep cool!

Photo #1 - On one of the many scenic overview stops I ran into this sign. Made me think twice about stomping through all that tall grass to get a better shot!
Photo #2 - These little critters (rodents actually), are common in the prairie grass of the Badlands. Prairie dogs are cute little darlings to PETA, and disease carrying rodents to ranchers!
Photos #3, 4, & 5 - Enjoying the great scenery!!
Photos #6 & 7 - This couple had a good climb and were enjoying the view. The gal was wearing a stars & stripes bikini. I caught a picture of them climbing down.
Photo # 8 - A good example of the curvy roads---so fun!!
Photos 9 & 10 - A final view of JZBlBBY in the park, then on to Wall, SD to the famous Wall Drug Store.

This day trip was unplanned, and sometimes the things we do spontaneously are the most fun!! I had no idea that these beautiful views awaited me!
When I got home I was rewarded with those glorious bugs that many of you saw in the "What did you do to your car today"! Thanks for viewing!!

Attachments

·
What's Old is New Again!
39,461 Posts
Thanks for the Badlands Photo Tour, Betty! :rep:

You should be running out of scenery out there. It's time for a Road Trip East!

·
2020 Go Mango Scat Pack
28,407 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the Badlands Photo Tour, Betty! :rep:

You should be running out of scenery out there. It's time for a Road Trip East!
Thank you so much Dan. I would love a trip out East. Don't be surprised if I do that someday. Still have a few more trips planned this summer!

·
Administrator
2016 Challenger Scat Pack Shaker
53,569 Posts
Great pics again Betty, you are becoming the Zs travel Photographer. A west trip should be on your agenda although not from May to September, it's to hot to enjoy the scenery.

·
Registered
22,643 Posts
Nice pictures Betty, I've been down that loop road a few times over the years and always enjoyed it. Unfortunately I wasn't in anything fun like a Challenger when I was doing it LOL.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts